Trouble Recording in Reaper

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Grooven, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Grooven

Grooven SS.org Regular

I've had this problem for awhile now and it's killing me,maybe yall can help me out.Problem is I can't double track lets say I go into reaper make a track arm it and everything, record it everything is fine and dandy but when it's time to do the 2nd track and pan it 100 hard right my signal goes completely out now if I go back to 99 and so on my signal gets stronger pretty much forcing me to record once in the center or I may add a drum track pan it 100L and the guitar track 100R which is just weird to me.I've tried switching inputs but no luck.Here's a screenshot of the inputs and everything...

Attached Files:

2. aqa

aqa SS.org Regular

In metal context you need to record two takes separetly and pan right and left, if you doubled the same record and pan, you get a super thin or non existen guitar sound

cwhitey2 likes this.
  3. Grooven

Grooven SS.org Regular

Yeah I know that's the problem though when I go and try and do the 2nd take and pan it 100R the signal is silent

4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I have the same issue If I use my Pod Farm 2 vst to record into reaper.

When using my Kemper I dont have this issue so Im assuming I have a setting incorrect in pod farm whenever I record.
    So depending on what you are using, maybe you too just have a setting wrong.

5. Grooven

Grooven SS.org Regular

Yeah probably but I don't know what it could be I've kinda tried everything but thanks for the reply.

6. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

I'm not sure exactly which audio box you are using so this might not help but.....In your picture you posted, where the track is displayed in the mixer, right above the record/arm button there's that little arrow that says "IN" above it. Click on that and a series of input options should pop up. Make sure its set to: input:mono left (or input:mono right depending on what input you're plugged into). That will represent the left input or first on your audio box, right being the second input on your audio device. Record your track center panned. Create a new track, (don't duplicate or copy) and record new track the same way. when your done hard pan one left and the other right.

You can also create one more track center panned and send or "buss" those two tracks to it for one center panned stereo track, and then send that to the master.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    Grooven likes this.
  7. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Sounds like you have the soundcard inputs/outputs misconfigured in Reaper. I had something weird like that happen to me on N-Track and it wasn't playing nice with Amplitube. It was ok with everything else, so maybe test with clean guitar first?
    Latest drivers, firmware should be d/loaded and interface reinstalled if you're troubleshooting. Run installers in Admin mode and Reaper in Admin mode (right click "Run As Administrator"). For some reason Studio One was giving me grief with Amplitube and that fixed it.

Grooven likes this.
  8. Grooven

Grooven SS.org Regular

I have a Presonus 2x2 audio box, normally I would use Studio One but the whole not being able to use 3rd party vst (cab sim IR) is a pain.I tried that and still nothing guess I'll make it work with Audacity...grrrr anyhoo thanks anyway though guys,off to creep on some threads

9. Drezik27

Drezik27 SS.org Regular

Sounds stupid...but are you panning before or after recording?

For example on your source the output may only be sending to the left side.