trouble after pickup change

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Pacceli, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Pacceli

Pacceli SS.org Regular

So, I just got myself a dimarzio Blaze neck for my RG7421. The installation took ages, and the guy said he had to replace the original 5 way switch to a 3 way one, to make things easier. So, I said it was ok. The thing is, after I got home the sound started to became unstable, out of the blue the treble goes all the way up and i loose all the bass, as if I was messing with the tone knob. Can someone provide some advice, or knows WTF this might be?

2. dpm

dpm Oni Guitars Contributor

Either a damaged pot or switch contact (possibly by overheating) or a shitty solder joint/wire damage

3. Pacceli

Pacceli SS.org Regular

would a pic be of any help?

4. dpm

Possibly but unlikely, can't hurt.

5. Pacceli

Pacceli SS.org Regular

I am concerned that the incompetent have f* up my new pickup. Here it goes the pic.

Attached Files:

6. dpm

It's pretty hard to kill a pickup. That control cavity on the other hand is a mess. The volume pot and switch both look they may have taken too much heat. This happens with underpowered soldering irons when making ground connections. A good iron will concentrate the heat in a small area very quickly, an underpowered iron will heat up the whole body of the component and damage things inside. I'm not sure this is definitely what happened but it's definitely not a tidy job. Could also be a bad connection lurking under that tape

7. dpm

Looking at it on a proper size screen now. It's really hard to tell if it's wired in correctly. Normally with a Dimarzio the red wire connects to the switch contacts, with green and bare connected to ground. Black and white are connected together and insulated. If the pickup phase isn't correct relative to the other pickup you swap the red and green wires. They can be wired black hot, white ground with the green and red connected to make the series link but if this dude can't get his head around the original switch it seems a stretch to think he'd go that direction deliberately.

Anyway, ignoring that, there's also a chance that the burns he's put in the cable insulation are causing an intermittent problem within the cable.

You really need to take it to a better tech unfortunately. Personally if it was in front of me and the problem not obvious I'd recommend replacing the switch and volume pot after confirming there's no fault inside the cable. If it could be either it's quicker to replace both and be sure.

8. neun Arme

neun Arme SS.org Regular

I don't understand why he had to replace the 5 way by a 3 way switch.
    Unfortunately, I think you should get it redone by someone who knows what he's doing.

9. Pacceli

Pacceli SS.org Regular

Good people of SS.org I've followed your advice and went to another person to do the job, here is the result, as for the sound, everything is good so far. BTW, I got my 5 switch back. Thank you. JNPW5110 - Copia.jpg