Tried an Omega today, something felt missing

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by AirForbes1, Dec 27, 2017.

1. AirForbes1

AirForbes1 SS.org Regular

I usually play with an EMG 57/66, I have those in both an LTD-KH602 and an ESP Standard Eclipse.

I really like them in the KH, they sound great, big and ballsy and dynamic, good amount of attack. they sound pretty good in the Eclipse, but not as good to me. I may just put a JB back in that. I'm a bedroom/living room player so I don't need to cut through any mixes. I'm playing through a Fargen DBC with a hot-rodded JCM800 channel.

I have an Ibanez ARZ700 that I don't really love (EMG 81/60), it's not just the pickups, I don't really love the guitar, but I got it cheap, so whatever. I'm looking to upgrade this and would mostly play drop tuned in it, say drop C.

So, there aren't many in stores here, but I was able to try out a PRS Holcomb. I love the guitar, feels great, looks bad-ass, but I felt something was lacking in the Omega (bridge). The clarity was great, I loved how tight it was (amazing, really), but I felt like it was missing some bite. I should note that I was playing through an OR15 (though not high gain, it's pretty dynamic), it's what I could get some time in front of.

Any recommendations for something else that I could try?

To make it more difficult, I'd like:

1. The tightness of the Omega with the aggression of something like the JB (doesn't necessarily have to sound like the JB, but tight and aggressive).
    2. Preferably something that already comes stock in a 25.5 scale length guitar. I tend to buy used so if I'm waiting for the right combo, it will take a while. And, I'd like to keep my costs under $1000, so it would be better if it came stock.

Thanks, and happy holidays, all.

2. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

First thing that comes to mind is the BKP Holy Diver. It is super clear, tight and articulate while still being made to sound like an 80's style humbucker. I played some at Axe Palace last time I was there and they were fantastic

AirForbes1 likes this.
  3. MetalThrasher

MetalThrasher Thrash & Burn

Based on your description for a bridge pickup…. Suhr Aldrich or Duncan SH5 custom.

AirForbes1 likes this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

Missing bite? You really have to try the omega through higher gain amp than the or15. It snarls and tears shit up with the right amp. Similarly mid forward pickups would be the guitarmory alnico 8 scud, bkp black dog, elysian goliaths. Alnico 8 scud and goliath nail the snarly mids that the omega has.

MAJ Meadows SF likes this.
  5. AirForbes1

Thanks guys. I'll have a nose around and see what comes with any of those pups. Not sure that the BKP would be in anything, but it's not the first time I've seen the HD recommended.

Yeah, it sounded like it was missing some aggression. I know, everyone says it has it in spades, which is why I made sure to mention that it was an OR15 that I was playing through.

The ones I had in mind were the Nazgul, Fishman Modern, or maybe the DiMarzio Dominion.

Now I have some more to check out. Cheers.

6. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Honestly I wouldn't put it down too much to that OR15. I ran one for years and that thing slayed, used it at metal gigs. In fact one of the snarliest most pissed off tones I ever got was from that, and a Lace alumitone in a Semi hollow tele. Those OR15's are mean when dialed in right, push the midrange, cut the bass, and add some treble you're there. Make sure you get some midrange pushed on those things though, gives it all the snarl.

I'd highly recommend the Fishman Modern as I just got them myself. They've just nailed the tone with them imo. Shecter are bringing out a lot with Fishman in 2018. A used KM 6 would be good, I like whatever is in them when I tried it.

Strobe and AirForbes1 like this.
  7. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Missing bite? Seymour Distortion or BKP Aftermath.

8. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

9. AirForbes1

Yeah, I know that OR15 can get gnarly. It's not in sevenstring.org high gain territory, but when you get past 2 o'clock it get get some pretty good break up.

I found a shop that has some Schecters (I think) and maybe I can try out some of their models that have a Black Winter (KM-6) or Nazgul bridge. The Fishman Modern is really intriguing. It seems like a few ESP/LTD models are equipping those in 2018 as well.

Do your Fishman Moderns have that tightness that the Omega has?

Cheers.

P.S. I've already seen that Morrow clip to death. I'm pretty sure he could make a fender 69 single coil sound Metal AF.

10. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Say what you want about the OR it's like a secret weapon, I used 7's and 8's through it till I got my kemper, then I just profiled it and sold it :lol: still miss it though, throw a tube screamer in front of it and I'll use that thing all day!

The Fluence is definitely tight, and really clear. When I got them I retracked my entire EP with them. It was just better, they sit better in a mix too. I hate to sound like I'm fanboying but I haven't tried anything better. I'm a fan of active pickups and while they still have that slight unforgiving quality to them it solves all the other problems of actives and only pushes me to be cleaner due to them being a little unforgiving.

Oh and the sqeaulies are just stupid.

11. AirForbes1

I like the OR15 too. I almost got one a while back, but decided on the dark terror instead. But, before I bought it, I just said screw it and got a Rockerverb. But, I really liked how harmonic the OR15 got, and it certainly gets mean.

I had the opportunity to try out a couple of Schecter guitars today. One had a Nazgul bridge, the other had a Black Winter. So, I could hear those. I liked them both, but thought that the Black Winter was a little better, a little more clear/defined.

The Black Winter was in a KM-6, that was used, mint (there were a few scratches on the plastic film covering the back plate), and on sale for boxing week. It came to 850 CAD after tax. It's really the situation I was looking for. If I can sell my Ibanez for an okay amount, I'll effectively come out of it paying for a new set up pickups, but getting a much better body too. This is why I was looking for guitars that had something I like stock. It's being set up for me, I'll post a NGD when I get it back. I don't usually pull the trigger this quickly on anything.

I'll keep the Fishman in mind if/when I change the pups in my (never to be sold) Eclipse.

Thanks everyone for your help. Happy New Year to you all.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.