Tried a Mesa Boogie Mark V today, and now I need advice.

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Omen, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Jamey36

Jamey36 Regular

Cape Coral Fl.
    I have had my Kemper for a couple of years now.I love it,as far as i am concerned it is simply the best option if your main thing will be home recording.The tones are great,the effects are better than most plugins by far and the versatility just makes recording hassle free for me.I am not a big tweaker either.I have about a dozen profiles in my favorites that are my go to's 99% of the time.Another big advantage for me with the Kemper is having many out of the box bass rig profiles so I do not need a separate bass rig.Plus the rack mount unit mounts right in my recording desk,keeping everything right at my fingertips when recording.
    Now after having said all that,it would only be fair to admit I just bought a Mark V:35 and a 2 x 12 vertical cab.But not to replace my Kemper!
    DudeManBrother likes this.
  2. laxu

laxu Regular

I went all digital in 2009. I bought the Axe-Fx Standard back then and for my uses felt it sounded just as good as the Diezel Einstein combo and Egnater Tourmaster + 2x12 setups I had at the time. I upgraded that to the Axe-Fx 2 in 2012. Now in 2017 I still have the Axe-Fx 2.

To me for home use nothing beats amp modelers. They are more versatile and just sound better at low volumes. Now, with cab sim + loadbox devices on the market the playing arena has changed a bit as it's easier to get a low volume tone out of tube amps too.

But a single amp can never do everything great. For someone who likes Marshall tones for distortion and Fender for cleans, maybe Vox for bluesy overdrive you just can't get all that from one amp. Not even the modular ones with different preamp modules can do it because the poweramp and cab are always the same so you either get great tones of one kind but compromise the others. For example my Diezel Einstein could use both 6L6 and EL34 tubes. EL34 made for great overdrive and high gain tones, but putting in 6L6 improved the cleans a ton but compromised the overdrive to my ears.

The question you have to answer is whether you prefer the ease of use and the tones available in the Mark V or if you would instead like a device that does everything from fx to amp models, even dual amp rigs on the Axe-Fx 2 and Line6 Helix. That comes with the ease of use taking a hit as you don't have neat knobs for everything to work with and have to go thru menus, computer editors etc.

When it comes to tone and feel I don't believe that the top end modelers are any worse than a great tube amp.