Tried a Mesa Boogie Mark V today, and now I need advice.

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Omen, Nov 29, 2017.

1. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

Mark v has a slave output so if you don't need absolute silence for recording you can run that into an interface and use IRs for really nice direct recording.

But yeah I mean there's no better feeling then rocking out on a mark v through a recto cab. It's magical.

2. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Kempers have been around for at least 7 years already. They're not even close to worthless...

@OP
    I'd take the Kemper and a nice pair of speakers to be honest.

3. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, I just meant that it wouldn't be the best out there forever, because there will be the next best thing. It will still work, but the modeling, profiling, etc., will get better. The Mark V may be leapfrogged, too, by a Mark VI, but there will be no advancement in the tones. The Mark V itself is the Mark I-IV combined as it is. (Of course, not that this means he won't want a new one - lord knows I've purchased my fair share of tube amps, just because it was something new!)

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I dunno how good this comparison really is. A Mark V is those things on paper, but realistically, I'd never trade my IV in for a V, or even the JP sig version. They're not reaaaaaally the same thing.

If I was concerned with future proofing the setup, I don't know that either approach is better. The physical amp will break down eventually. A Kemper is essentially a computer, which means it'll be susceptible to the same issues any technology will have to deal with- obsolescence, updates that ruin something that worked fine to begin with, compatibility with newer things coming out, editor software that might not run on the operating systems of the future, etc. And there's no guarantee it won't physically break down either.

5. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

True. But I've always figured an amp is repairable well into the future, but a computer might not be. Though, I have no proof of that, other than my super old amps, and not so old modelers that I can't get easily repaired. And, I agree with what you're saying regarding the Mark IV and V. But, the point is that amps don't necessarily get better - just different. At this point, computers and modeling do get better. But who knows, maybe the Kemper will be the JCM800 of this generation, and people will be buying and repairing them for decades.

TedEH likes this.
  6. will_shred

will_shred not that good.

Vilk, I usually trust your judgement, but i'm pretty skeptical of this :squint:

That being said, I can't speak for the kemper because my experience with them is pretty limited. Tone wise the kemper will be more flexable than the Mark V, but that's saying a lot, because the Mark V is extremely capable. I would take the mark over a Kemper, even as a bedroom guitarist. If you have neighbors get the Kemper, if you don't get the mesa.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  7. odibrom

odibrom .

Mark V + Torpedo Captor = no neighbors messing around. These are both time resistant, they do not have software inside, so no need for updates and that kind of messy things.

8. LiveOVErdrive

Honestly if you're thinking hard about resale or obsolescence, don't buy either. They're expensive. Anything could happen to them. Only get either one if you're prepared to never see that money again.

9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Resale isn't about expensive, it's about how it's value changes over time. The last few Mark IVs I've seen on sale in my area are asking $500+ more than what I spent on mine a few years ago.

10. LiveOVErdrive

My point is if resale is a major concern deciding between two very different things, do you really want either of them badly enough to buy them?

Just my opinion

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I agree with you on that point. I almost never factor resale value into any purchase, cause I don't buy things I don't plan on keeping.

FILTHnFEAR, LiveOVErdrive and odibrom like this.
  12. Shadowwander

Shadowwander SS.org Regular

I would say, if Mark is the thing that clicked in you, made you fall in love and all those things, I would go Mark. Had that amp for a while, and made even a PRS seem like a evil guy. It was the greater pillar for my sound.

But, if you're still not sure whats your core sound, you would still like to experiment with other amps and not be tied by this particular way of express, Kemper. Kemper really does a great job in sounding like valve. Tricks many people and many professional are using nowadays.

13. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

I'd go Mesa. I am probably bad advice though because I use my 8x10 300w tube stack for home practice and my 1x12 for everything else.

14. Omen

Omen SS.org Regular

Finally got some time to answer. Working nights is great...

The points I keep coming back to is:
    • Tweakability. The main reason why I set my eyes on a kemper to begin with. But the three channels on the Mesa really do go a long way. Throw in a compressor and a drive pedal (which I already got) I've covered most - if not all of the guitar tone spectrum.
    • Feel. There was something magical about standing beside a real tube amp. In what setup would a need to run the kemper to recreate this? FRFR monitor? Guitar cab? Tube poweramp and guitar cab? My studio monitor would do for my practical needs sure, but I can't ignore that I've been looking for the tube feel for years now. That was what triggered this quest.
    • Recording. The more I read about it the more it seems like a draw. There are loads of free IRs and quality loadboxes aint exactly expensive either.
    • Stereo. This would be for fx like reverb, delay and modulation. But frankly it's more of a wet dream (wet/dry/wet-dream? That must be an old pun). Lets just say it's not top priority.
    • Bragging right. This is a scary one to be honest. Reading your comments has made me think that maybe I just what the Mesa because of guys like Petrucci, Townsend, Morton,, Grohl, DiMenola and Santana. And like everyone else on this stupid planet... Maybe I just though the Mesa sounded magical because I THOUGHT it sounded magical o_O
    Thanks for the input guy. I'll do some more thinking and see if I can try the amp one more time before I decide. A NGD is on the horizon, but who knows what it'll be?

15. Furtive Glance

Furtive Glance "Snaaaake!!!"

I'd get a Mark V:25 in your case. I'm thinking long-term resale value more than anything, but saving the extra $$$ over the full-fledged 100W version would allow for all the recording odds-and-ends.

16. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

IMO
    Tweakability - Kemper wins.
    Feel - Mesa wins. I hate the feel of FRFR + impulse setups. I've never been impressed playing though that kind of setup in terms of feel.
    Recording - Kemper will be easier, but arguably both would be fine.
    Stereo - If you can record something, you can do your effect in stereo in your DAW. There's not really any other reason for stereo. So... tie?
    Bragging - Also a tie? They're both high-end, expensive bits of gear.

I have a V25 and while I really like this amp, I'm not sure it would suit the situation. It's tweakable enough. Some people hate the cabclone in it, I think it's good enough as long as it's not your only option. It's good, but doesn't quite nail the "this amp has more power than I'll ever need" feel that a 100w amp has. I'd gladly use it to record clean tones, but for gain sounds, I'd defer to a bigger amp in recording situations.

17. DarthV

DarthV SS.org Regular

I've owned my Kemper for over 5 years now and it's awesome for home volumes (pair of studio monitors). I have a ton of profiles, but really just stick to a few. Most of the time I use a Mark IIc+ profile. I always wanted to buy a Mark and found a great price on a 25w this summer and pulled the trigger. At TV volumes, and lower, the Kemper just sounds better. IMO amps need the speakers in the cab actually moving to sound right and that's just not happening until you start turning up the volume. Not saying you need to go earbleed volume, but depending on your situation you may not be able to play that loud.