Tried a Mesa Boogie Mark V today, and now I need advice.

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Omen, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Omen

Omen SS.org Regular

A friend of a friend is selling his Mesa Boogie Mark V, and he was kind enough to let me play it for a bit today. Holy hell what an amp. This puts me in a dilemma though, and I would like some advice from you guys. I'll explain my situation as best as I can.

I am a hobby musician. I play bass in a band and we play live semi-regularly on smaller avenues. Nothing that generate any money though. I got a decent bass rig that fulfills my needs.

The heart of my hobby is what I do in my bedroom however (giggity). I write and play a lot of my own, mostly guitar. Guitar was also were I started musically. Until now, GuitarPro has served as my main platform for writing and a Roland MicroCube as my main amplifier. I have for a long time wanted an upgrade though, and to actually start recording some of my stuff. I was pretty set on a Kemper actually, as it would offer a few nifty features that conventional amps does not.

But that Mesa Boogie really did blow my mind. And now I need to put the cards on the table and see which deck is the fattest. Also, I would get the Mesa with cab to the same price as a PKA.

So:
    The Mesa fills my sonic needs, no doubt about it. What it can't do however is stereo. I would need an external power amp for that and I have no idea how much a comparable would cost. The Mesa can't double as a di/reamp-box either, so I would need moar gear to record. Especially if I want to do silent recording.

F*ck the time ran away. I might update this thread after work. Some of you might have been in a similar situation. Any insight, thoughts and cold economic calculation is welcome.

Cheers

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

kemper. with mark v profiles you can have your cake and eat it too.

3. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

I'd say for home playing and recording the Kemper will serve you better in the long run than a Mark V. It feels and sounds for 99% like a real tube amp and is much more versatile.

Why do you need a stereo setup for the Mark V at home? For recording just double track it.

Schizo Sapiens and cwhitey2 like this.
  4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Yeah, I don't see how a stereo amp setup is required for home use.

I'd get the mark V - it covers a lot of ground. Why? Because some people get bogged down in trying to make patches and elaborate signal chains etc. and don't do a lot of the playing they meant to. With the mark V that's still possible, but on a much smaller scale. Given you're overseas, when you decide you want to try something else the resale value will still be good (same with Kemper). Hell you can probably trade the Mark V for a Kemper later if you so choose.

5. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

The Kemper is the more practical solution, especially for the studio.

But I, who am also just a bedroom warrior, wouldn't trade my Mark for anything.

Dineley likes this.
  6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

In your shoes, I'd grab the Mark for sure, but then I do love those things, and I'm admittedly on the side of being snobbish about "real amps" and all that nonsense.

But realistically, "nonsense" is the right word for it. Practicality says the Kemper wins. But, assuming you'd be using it through a PC or monitors or something, a real amp in a room still gets me much more excited than any modeller. Even with the "ideal" FRFR + good impulses, etc., I still have never played through anything that convinced me I'd be happier with it compared to traditional amps. I also don't have much interest in fiddling with the minutiae of profiles and impulses and eqs etc., I just want to turn it on, have it sound good in the situations I need it for, and that's that, so you'd want to keep that in mind when deciding.

If you want ALL THE OPTIONS and to tweak for days and never really need to go out and buy more amps, get the Kemper. If you want the Real Amp Experience(tm) and the one in front of you gets you excited in all the right ways, then buy the amp.

7. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I have a modeler much less high caliber than a Kemper and it can totally nail a Mark V no problem

8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

^ Which modeller is that?

9. KnightBrolaire

If he gets a mark v I can guarantee he's going to fiddle around with that too. Even my 3 channel (kind of) boogie f30 is very sensitive to eq changes, a mark would probably be even more fiddly with all the switches/eq and such. the nice thing about mesa amps is that there's a ton of good profiles for them already (they're probably one of the most popular types of amps on the kemper rig exchange next to the fender twin/ 5150/6505 amps).

10. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

I say compromise a bit and get the Mark and free/cheap vst simulation. If you don't have an interface already those can be had cheap as well. Kempers are awesome, but if you know how to dial what you like you can get a vst where you want it very easily. also, with that setup you could mic up your mark at some point and get sweet tones that way if your space accommodates it.

11. Screamingdaisy

Screamingdaisy SS.org Regular

If this is for recording I'd get the Mark V.

Apply stereo effects in DAW rather than trying to record them.

Grindspine and Schizo Sapiens like this.
  12. odibrom

odibrom .

There are several possibiliteis you have at front of you. The Kemper is a do-it-all solution, going with the Boogie, you'll need an audio interface (if you don't already), mics (same) and/or some sort of loadbox (2notes captor?) which allow you to use the amp and play at night with headphones and record direct with IRs and all that jazz.

I have a Triaxis and use its cab simulation to play during the night and some recording as well. I've been reading it sucks, but I can't complain, I really can't. I could use VSTs but the Triaxis somehow has more appeal/mojo and readiness that I'm not in the mood to dial in the VSTs, so...

1+ vote for the Mark V.

13. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

If you're specifically going to get it for recording within the next 5 years, Kemper. But, 5 years from now the Kemper will not be the trophy amp. The Mark V will still be a Mark V. 20 years from now, you can still play the Mark V, and have it repaired if needed. The Kemper will have long since gone the way of the dinosaur.

Grindspine likes this.
  14. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

A Mark V and some kind of load box for your recording.

wakjob and TheWarAgainstTime like this.
  15. KnightBrolaire

nah they'll just release the kemper 2 if need be, kemper's been around for >5 years already and more than holds its own against axe fx/helix/etc imo. As long as the profiles are good they're not going anywhere.

16. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Sure, Marks are known for being on the tweaker side of things, but it's not nearly the same as diving into profiles. Marks still have "their" sound and a relatively neutral setting that you're tweaking around- and most people settle on close to the same settings: bass knob almost off, treble and gain to taste, EQ in a vaguely V shape, and most of the other settings are pretty subtle things that you'll try once, pick the thing you like and leave it that way forever. It's not so fiddly an amp that you'd waste months going "I wonder what this would sound like as a Marshall, with smaller speakers, with one of the gain stages moved somewhere, with a different simulated transformer, with..." etc. etc...

17. odibrom

odibrom .

... OP has already tested the amp AND liked it. Tweaking it will not be an issue IMO...

18. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

A Mark V will still be a valuable amp a few years down the road. The Kemper's long term value has yet to be seen, though as with most technology, it will most likely lose value over time, depreciating to basically worthless within 10 years.

19. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

As a Mark V owner, former Kemper owner, and bedroom warrior, I'd say go for the Mark V.

Beyond the actual investment aspect, nothing feels as good as sitting in a room with an amp and cab and jamming out. There are definitely some killer sounds and profiles to be had out of the Kemper and Axe FX, but you'll always end up chasing and tweaking to get as close to the tone and feel from the real amp as you can.

There are plenty of good cab simulators and direct solutions for tube amps for recording, and stereo effects can always be added in your DAW.

20. R34CH

R34CH Counter Culture Bullet Vulture

My head says Kemper but my heart says Mark V...