Tremol-no?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Vince Caruana, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Vince Caruana

Vince Caruana Vinsanity

I plan on getting a hellraiser c-7 fr and would like to get it set up a half step down and occasionally drop it one full step lower. I am not too familiar with a tremol-no and have no major experience with floyds. Am I going to be able to switch tunings regularly with out constantly having to set it up or should I just stay in my original tuning. I know that when you lock it you can make it dive only but once again I am not too familiar with trems in general or a tremol-no. Can someone give me an answer for this and give me a detailed explanation on the pros and cons of a tremol-no? I would just keep it in dive only for when I drop it down a step, full floating for the original set-up.

2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

The Tremol-No has three modes; fully floating, dive only, and fully locked.

Set up the guitar to the highest tuning you'll be using (in this case one half step down) with the T-No in fully floating mode, as if it weren't there at all. From there, the dive-only and locked modes will allow you to tune one or several of the strings down because the bridge will be blocked from going back any further from the default position by the Deep C piece.

When the T-No is in fully locked mode, you can also tune up. You can't do this in dive-only mode because there's nothing locked to stop the bridge from diving when you add string tension from tuning up.

3. Vince Caruana

Vince Caruana Vinsanity

I plan on using 10-70 on 26.5 inch scale so there will be quite a bit of tension. Would this give me any major issues with the Floyd or tuning stability in dive only?

4. Funky D

Funky D SS.org Regular

No. Your next issue would be neck adjustments. Try the full setup for the lowest tuning and using a capo. I just got me a G7th that works nicely on my 7. :yesway:

5. MattThePenguin

MattThePenguin SS.org Regular

Seriously considering one for my PRS...

6. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

There shouldn't be any issues as long as the initial setup is good :yesway:

7. Atomic Kemper

Atomic Kemper SS.org Regular

I can't speak for everyone, or anyone in this case, but a few guys recently posted on another website swearing by the black box goldo

8. dimitrio

dimitrio SS.org Regular

Once I installed tremol-no on all my floyd equipped guitars.. but then I noticed one thing - the flutter intensitivity decreased drastically. So if you are using this technique - consider that.
    P.S. I set up everything very precisely, so this is not a problem of wrong setup, but more of the construction itself. Just changed it later for much more simple tremolo stop systems.

9. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

It's not the same thing as a tremol no. Not even close.

Every single tremsetter alters the feel of your guitar. If you're ok with changes in the feel and weakened flutters go ahead and install one. I tried a few different ones and took every single of them out eventually.

10. TheStig1214

TheStig1214 Mr. Tophat Jones

To be brutally honest, TS, if you plan on changing tuning that much without changing strings than a guitar with a Floyd is not for you.... :2c:

11. HumanFuseBen

HumanFuseBen SS.org Regular

I have the tremol-no on a couple of my guitars and I absolutely love it. Killer device. I spray the main shaft with WD40 every now and then to keep it slick and it works like a charm.

12. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I'd have to agree. You have a fluctuation of tensions that come in to play, and with each string gauge change, and each tuning comes a full setup, including truss rod adjustment, bridge saddled height adjustment, and intonation.f

Considering the ideas you have, something akin to the Steinberger Trans Trem might be more your undertaking, or better yet, a James Tyler Variax setup. You can created endless tunings which come out of the speaker pretty convincingly, all while maintaining a familiar tension/setup feel on the guitar.
    I have a friend who used to be a rep for Line 6, going from store to store doing demo clinics on it, and he used to tour with some mainstream acts, and this has become his "go-to" rig. He's owned just about everything you can imagine too, so he would fall into the category of a tone purist or gear snob up to the point that he hooked up with Line 6.

13. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

How do you use the Floyd? If you're one of the guys that must have flutter and such, you won't be happy with the Tremol-no because it becomes dive only or fixed once you change tunings.

If you're OK with a dive-only trem, I'd just block off any ability to pull up and then give the spring claw a few extra turns. That will let you tune down without throwing everything out of whack.

And if you really want the ability to pull up but aren't worried about fluttering (which you can't do in dive-only or with the Tremol-no locked down in any way), the a trem stabilizer like the Goldo Back Box or ESP Arming Adjuster could work for you.

The benefits of the Tremol-no over these other solutions are 1) the Tremol-no installs without any extra holes, 2) the Tremol-no at least allows full floating flutter in whatever base tuning you choose (when it's unlocked), and 3) it ostensibly fully blocks the trem from moving if you want.

What works best depends on what you really want out of your trem.

14. Humbuck

Humbuck SS.org Regular

Super-Vee Mag-lok works great for me. I still wanna be able to pull up as well as push down.

15. TheDraeg

TheDraeg SS.org Regular

Guitar Project Tremolo Stopper Stablizer | eBay

I have one of these simple devices in my M2 and it works great. The floyd is dive-only now but thats fine. I tightened up the springs and added one additional spring to keep the trem tight against the stopper. I change tuning without any problems, D standard to drop C. Recommended and cheap!

16. RoyceIsNotMyName

RoyceIsNotMyName SS.org Regular

Set it up for dive' only and tighten the springs. Let me know if you have any questions and I can send you some info on how to do it, and maybe find you some parts. it's dirt cheap and easier than just getting a tremel-no. I've always thought tremel-no's were a bit to pricey for what they were...

17. jpcalloway

jpcalloway SS.org Regular

I just installed a tremol-no on my Majesty 7. It works as advertised and really helps (in locked mode) for my drop G tuning. I rarely use the tremolo, but I enjoy having the option. The big thing is setting it up properly. This requires tedious tweaking to get it properly aligned; and even when it's perfectly set up, it does not retain the same feel as the tremolo without it. That's just my 2 pennies.

18. juankyman

juankyman SS.org Regular

if you are going to change tuning drastically like from standard to drop c or something like that you will always have to set the instrument up. intonation within the instrument will always change as well as the action. if it is mostly to drop a string you will be fine. that said, devices like the tremol no and hipshot trem setter are great if they are installed correctly. i used to have a guitar with an EVH dtuna and tremol no and the combination worked great. later i changed the tremol no for the hipshot and even though i could not lock the trem up i liked the feeling a little better. anyway, i sold the guitar and kept the hipshot and EVH Dtuna in case anybody is interested.

19. DrWong

DrWong SS.org Regular

A note on the tremol-no that's worth mentioning. When playing live, if you really get into it, you might hit the bridge of your guitar. Normally, this doesn't cause any sort of issue (since floating bridge be floating and fixed bridge don't give no f****), but a locked tremol-no might move. This causes the guitar to be about a quartertone sharp in my case.

It's a niche issue, but worth mentioning for those in the market :)