Tremol-no question and need pickup suggestions for my Dellinger

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by neurosis, Nov 12, 2015.

1. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

I have a Caparison Dellinger Dark Trans Rose and want to put a tremol'no in it. Browsing the site I see there are three options and then on the list it recommends one or the others depending on the version of tremolo you have installed. I know I have a Schaller Floyd but I am not sure what model it is and have no clue how to figure it out. There is nothing int he documentation and the guitar is discontinued so there´s also no info on the Capa site. If any of you has a Dellinger with a Schaller Floyd and know what tremol'no will work just let me know.

On to the pickups, I just tuned this thing from C back up to D Standard. I wanted to see if the dark and doom sound was a feature of the guitar or more a thing from the bridge pickup, which is a holy diver.

I am looking to swap all pups. I am almost set on an Air Norton S for the neck, a True velvet for the middle position and then I am not sure if I should go with an Aldrich or something like a JB for the bridge.

The Dellinger is all mahogany and despite being a bolt with a maple and ebony neck it is really one of my darkest sounding guitars. I would like to get close to a Les Paul sound, which I am far away from now. The guitar definitely sounds ballsy unplugged but it does´t beat my Paula when plugged in. The Paula has a JB.

So I am looking for a pickup that can break up nice and chugga chugga with a mid range. I was even thinking a Duncan Distortion, Dimarzio Breed or even the Screaming Demon?

What do you guys think?

2. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

The Holy Diver is based off the JB so I think you're going to like that into your Capa anymore than the Diver. I have a Dimarzio Dominion set installed in my RAN Crusher 6 and they are one of the best 6 string pickups I've tried, the bridge is thick, tight, full and clear. Since its ceramic it works well in a dark sounding guitar.

3. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

I was looking at the Dimarzio site a few minutes ago and had been thinking what the Dominion or the D Activator could do for me.

I think you are probably right about the JB. But I still wonder if its the particularities of this guitar or the pickups ¨fault¨ that it sounds rather wide and bassy as opposed to cutting and trebly, which is what I am used to from a JB and mahogany combination. My Dellinger does´t push like I my Les Paul does. And I have had bolt on construction guitars with mahogany bodes that had a JB style pup in the bridge and they just slayed. I know this guitar has it in it because unplugged it sounds huge. It´s just that I haven´t found the right pickup for it yet.

4. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Like Lorcan said, the Holy Diver is based off of the JB, so the difference would be small. I'd check out the Duncan Custom for the bridge :yesway: I've got one in a Clint Lowery sig PRS and it sounds massive with not quite as much mids as the Dominion in my Carvin, but still not scooped. The highs aren't harsh like I remember the Distortion can be, though it's been a while since I had one.

I'll second the Dominion bridge, too. I think it sounds sweet in my Carvin; it's thick, punchy, and aggressive.

5. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

Thick and punchy is definitely what I am going for. I am trying to eq at the amp after playing my PRS for so long and the Capa is just too dark in comparison. maybe I have just changed my taste in tone... not sure what's going on.

The Custom is a pup many people have been recommending. Even when i was considering changing the bridge on the PRS. I might actually get one and if it doesn't work for one guitar take on the adventure and see if it can sound better in another. :agreed::lol:

6. MattThePenguin

MattThePenguin SS.org Regular

The Dominion is the best, most versatile set I've ever used. I've used the JB, Bareknuckle Juggernauts, Ionizers, Nazgul/Sentient, and I would go with the Dominion every time. I wish they made them for 7 strings, been bugging Mark on twitter from time to time to get DiMarzio to do that lol

7. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

For all of you who have the dominion, what would you pair it with in a has guitar like mine?

And another interesting thing is, can it mellow up with a bit of rolling back the tone knob? Is it just pure power or can it be tamed for rock tones?

Doing some research yesterday I went back to the Aldrich bridge and it looks like it's a meatier JB, with more attack but better midrange distribution (according to the Duncan forum people who compare slightly to a Custom).

I am not generally a high gain all the time player and I am used to squeeze a Marshall and the like with pedals rather than playing high gain amps. The furthest I have gone is an ENGL Fireball and my current Laney Ironheart Studio... so that's kind of the tone world I have lived in.

Would the Dominion be too harsh?

Thanks!

8. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I have my Dominion paired with a Gravity storm neck, but your Capa has a middle and neck single coil, right? I think you're on a good track with the Air Norton S and True Velvet honestly. Lots of versatility to be had.

The Dominion definitely excells at heavy sounds, but it's not actually that hot of a pickup, just voiced a certain way. It can do reasonable cleans and pairs well with a neck pickup for that application. It's not a harsh pickup since the extreme highs are cut a bit, so the aggression comes from the mids and bass punch.

9. stevexc

stevexc Laura Like Butter

It looks like for the Tremol-No the Pin and Small Clamp types are compatible with all the Schaller trems, but the Pin is recommended. I'm sure if you sent them a couple pictures of the bridge they could probably make a recommendation, but the Pin type should be a good bet.

I gotta say I'm a huge fan of the Duncan Custom 5. It's fairly scooped, so the regular Custom may work better for you.

10. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

So your recommendation would be...

h Dominion
    s True Velvet
    s Air Norton

I think this could work. The only thing I fear is that this particular guitar being so dark the Dominion could still be of from the sound samples I have heard. Does Morton have it in a mahogany guitar?

I used to have a Horizon NT with a JB in the bridge that sounded huge... but not dark like this Capa sounds. It was actually similar to some PRS guitars I have tried but not as middy as my Custom 24. I think a sound between a JB in a Les Paul and that would be ideal. Suppossedly the BKP I have in there should do that but nope...

I might try the Dominion after all.

11. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

So Custom or Aldrich then...

Thanks for the term info! Indeed they have recommended I use the pin version.

12. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

Mortons guitar is all mahogany I think. I have mine in a mahogany body + neck bolt-on and it works very well with the dark tone you'd expect. The ceramic magnet helps a lot.

It's like a Tone Zone but lower output, tighter, less bass, more highs and less pick attack.

13. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

I just took the guitar apart and realized the pickup in the bridge is not a holy diver but a painkiller. Mind blown. Since I just brought it back from Spain after two years in the locker and barely had any time to spend with it before that I totally forgot I finally went for that and not the holy diver.

So... first thing I realized is the pole pieces where all screwed in. And the height of all pups wasn't compensated. So I just adjusted the pole pieces and leveled the pups. The thing goes from really defined bridge tones to nice and chimey in the middle to crazy wooly and mellow neck tones. I have to try it with distortion but I am not sure I should change it. Even though the Dominion or the Custom are definitely on my list to try.

I'll report back when I try with distortion but what could possibly the reason it hasn't been defined other than the pole pieces? It can't be just that... Oh this guitar is a mystery.

14. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

Have any of you tried the gravity storm, super3 or super distortion?

Ive also been told that the andy timmons could be a great warm humbucker to look into but i am not sure it will work like i want it to.

15. juankyman

juankyman SS.org Regular

If you ever need a dtuna to drop that low string i have one in almost new condition in its case. It was in a guitar with a tremol no and the combination was awesome.

16. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

Thank you! At the moment I am served and with no need of extra stuff. Just looking for new pickups. I actually have decided I won´t get a tremol-no for the time being either.