Tremol-no opinions?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Tisca, Nov 8, 2018 at 5:20 AM.

1. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

Useful or gimmick? Any other similar products out there?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Depends on what you want it for and what your expectations are.

There's a mountain of products designed to make a trem less of a trem, but it really depends on what your needs are.

3. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

It does what it says on the box.

4. LeoLmX

LeoLmX SS.org Regular

2 year cheap Ibanez RG user with a tremol-no installed by myself here. It does what is says on the box, with some minor cons:

- The little wheels that tighten and loosen the blocks will fall eventually without you ever noticing if you loosen it too much;
    - My luthier said that the trem is not as smooth as it would be without it, thus having problems in returning precisely to the zero point;
    - If I tighten some screws just a little bit over the normal strenght, the guitar will go out of tune.

Anyway, these extra things are just a minor hassle for a floyd rose user already. For someone that plays Dream Theater (E, C and D standard) and Periphery (drop C and drop A), this little thing really helps you out.

Tisca likes this.
  5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've been using them for years on several guitars with no issues. The key is to be very precise with the setup on them, otherwise your bridge won't feel as smooth or return to pitch as accurately.

Tisca likes this.
  6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Been using them on and off since, well, beta-testing one of them. They were pretty decent tools back then, and they've gotten a lot better since.

The clamp-type, now that it has metal rails, is hands down the easiest to install and (IMO) the most secure, with the pin-type being a little more finnicky but still pretty good.

*the thumbscrews can potentially fall out... but, hitting the threads with blue loc-tite, letting it set, and then loosening them makes them a lot more secure and less easy to spin by accident, and helps a lot.
    *set up right, the unit is almost perfectly transparent. I've had zero problems with a dialed-in unit on returning to zero, and I don't feel it at all when it's unlocked (in fact, my first experience with the newest generation of the clamp-style was when I bought a RG550RFR, played it for a couple weeks with the strings it shipped with, and then when I took off the back plate before changing strings was surprised to find a Tremol-no
    *The only point I HAVE noticed it is flutter tends to be a little "tighter" and narrower with a tremol-no, unlocked, than without.

There are other trem options out there - some are designed to provide a zero point and allow you to do in-tune compound bends, and the Tremol-no doesn't do this. Rather, I'd look at it as an on/off switch for your trem.

Tisca likes this.
  7. Humbuck

Humbuck SS.org Regular

ESP makes a solid one.

Crash Dandicoot likes this.
  8. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

would I be able to block it off while in standard tuning then lower the pitch of the strings to a different tuning? Or would that mess up the bridge position? Intonation would obviously be need to changed and possibly the truss rod, but would the bridge stay level?

9. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

If installed and set properly it will hold well enough to do that reasonably. Not absolutely perfectly, but good enough if you need to change tuning live/in a pinch.

10. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular