Tremol-No hands on review

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Drew, Apr 3, 2005.

1. jtm45

jtm45 SS.org Regular

Easy mistake to make! A lot of people think it's all England anyway,with Scotland stuck on the top,lol.

It's the same with Wales as with Scotland. We like to protest that were fiercly independant from the English (who did invade and pillage our Celtic homelands many moons ago).
    We have got our own parliament now but it's more of a symbolic thing than anything else.

Hey,this is getting scarily close to being a political post,best end it now,lol.

2. dpm

dpm Oni Guitars Contributor

After playing fixed bridge for a while then going back to the UV I feel like I'd really dig this gadget.

I think the most important thing on a device like Tremol-No is that the quality of materials and precision of manufacture isn't compromised in the production versions. We all know how much a good Floyd differs from a bad Floyd.

Drew, please make this clear to Kevan in your evaluation :cool:

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I think Kevan's perfectly aware - he's a high-end Ibanez nut, won't touch a TRS trem, and has a bit of a Concorde fetish, so I think he's really big on the fact that the Tremol-No is made of the same high-quality aircraft grade aluminum (and a surgical steel shaft) as the Concorde.

Hey, whatever floats your boat. :lol:

-D

4. Kevan

Kevan Forum MVP

Hey Folks!

I thought you might like a little info from the horse's mouth, so to speak. :D

I enjoyed your review, Drew. I think it explains the features, the functionality and the versatility of the Tremol-No quite well.

The one thing that I wanted to expand on is the "moving the trem while locked" part. Yes- this has caught a few of my testers off-guard, but they learn their lesson quickly. LOL I designed the unit, as you said, to release/slip before any real damage can be caused to more expensive & crucial parts of the guitar. The thumbscrews are brass, the receiver is 6061 T-6 aluminum, and the shaft is 304 stainless steel. Brass vs. steel? Steel wins. :) I also used 3 different materials to prevent galling between the parts and to minimize the need for continual lubrication.

The other thing I wanted to say is that the Tremol-No is ***NOT*** like the TremSetter or the Backstop. Both of those units are spring-loaded; the Tremol-No is not spring-loaded.

I'll do a quick Modes List for you guys, to keep it simple:
    - Tremol-No unlocked: Bridge functions as normal.
    - Tremol-No locked: Bridge is now locked. aka Hardtail Mode.

- Tremol-No unlocked w/Deep-C unlocked: Bridge functions as normal.
    - Tremol-No unlocked w/Deep-C locked: Bridge is now set to lower notes. aka Dive Only Mode. Also, in this mode, if you break a string, you will remain in tune. Drop tunings are also now possible, and you retain dive ability with the trem.
    - Tremol-No locked w/Deep-C locked: Bridge is now locked. aka. Hardtail Mode.

The thumbscrews can be locked pretty damn tight, but for a permanent lock, I *highly* recommend using the set screws. For 7-stringers, using the set screw on the Deep-C (instead of the thumbscrew) seems to be the best way to go to avoid any slippage. That extra string puts a lotta force on the trem. :D

The Tremol-No is not a cure-all for tuning issues. If your trem sucked before installing one, it will still suck after installing one.

Fun Note: Last time I spoke with Rusty Cooley, he told me of a cool idea using the Deep-C. He set it up so that his trem could only raise to a specific pitch- 1/2 step, whole step, 1.5 steps, etc. This way, when he's crankin' out a rhythm, he could *feel* where to stop that pitch raise, instead of using his ears. As we know, anything that helps Rusty get to the other notes faster, well....that's what he likes. :) He said he was going to play around with it more and see what other cool tricks he can come up with. Crazy player...insanely nice guy (and a great interview w/him here on this site!)

JTM- If I may, I'd like to suggest you wait for Tremol-No availabiltiy before blocking off your DE-equipped guitar. As you said, those little wires are quite touchy- one wrong move or slight slip, and your trem is a paper weight.

DP- don't worry about materials quality on the production Tremol-No units. The license is very specific about what materials can be used. We also found a great factory that does quality machining, so no worries there either.

Oh, and Drew- just for the record, I have a MAJOR Concorde fetish. :) And, I don't mind TRS trems, as long as they're setup properly.

I'm going as fast as I can to get these units out to you guys. If the admins would like, I'll do a separate updates thread to keep everyone current and in the loop (let me know).

Thanks again, guys. If you have any questions, feel free to email or IM me.

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, didn't you buy part of a Concorde control panel, when they decommissioned them? I knew you were interested, but I can't remember if you pulled the trigger or not...

-D

6. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Hows the distro deal coming? CAuse i need 3 of these asap \m/

7. Kevan

Kevan Forum MVP

As of right now, that's all the info I have.

While typing this out, I'm breaking my stare of the fax machine...DYING for that license agreement to come over the wire.....
    ...checking paper....
    ...checking ink.....
    ...checking power....
    ...checking fax line....

:D

Drew- I was going for several items when Air France disassembeled one of theirs and auctioned off the parts. I *really* wanted the machmeter, but....it went for over $30,000. A tad bit more than their estimation of $2500. LOL I'm still looking though....someday....heh heh....

8. Metal Ken

Sounds good to me man. Keep us posted \m/

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

haha, yeah, that sounds familiar. I'm sorry, a machmeter'd be one hell of a paperweight, but that or an Audi?

-D

10. TheReal7

TheReal7 Mr. Melody Contributor

Any pics of this thing installed? I am very interested in this.

11. Metal Ken

Solution to this problem: Invade Everything.

12. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

You know, there's actually an American Global Domination party - that's not their exact name, of course, but their platform is to take over the world.

If you think about it, it's a rather novel solution to the question of how to bring about world peace... :lol:

-D

13. Metal Ken

Well, my voters card says Republican (needs to be changed to independant, im pretty much in the middle...).. Is that what you were talking about? lol.

14. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

hahahaha, sometimes I wonder. ;)

Na, the republican party does it under the pretext of "spreading democracy." (to be fair, the democratic party does it under the pretext of "preserving liberty"). These guys just do it because it's there so why the hell not - IMO, a much better reason. :agreed:

-D

15. Kevan

Kevan Forum MVP

Go to the Players page on Tremol-No.com.
    Click on the players name.
    Voila!

16. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

You know, I never posted pics, did I?

I'm on it, hopefully tomorrow.

-D

17. Kevan

Kevan Forum MVP

Drew- your checkered spandex pants are in the *other* box.

Remember: If you don't look good, you can't play good.
    :D

18. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Gaddamn it, Kevan, where'd I be without you? :lol:

19. zak

zak SS.org Regular

Kevan, I've got a quick question. Say if the Deep-C is in place, if you kept to guitar in say a half step down, would you get full use of the tremblo or just downwards on it?

20. Kevan

Kevan Forum MVP

Zak- Let's do this scenario:
    Fully floating trem....standard tuning of BEADGBE (because we're on a 7-string board. LOL).

You want to do some drop tunings. No problem.
    1. Make sure you're in tune.
    2. Lock the Tremol-No using the two thumbscrews.
    3. Slide the Deep-C up against the Tremol-No receiver, and lock it in place (7-stringers should use the provided set screw to lock the Deep-C).
    4. Unlock the two thumbscrews on the Tremol-No receiver.
    5. Do all the freaky tunings you want, and dive bomb away!

This is called Dive-Only mode. In this mode, you trem will only be able to drop/lower the pitch of the strings.

If you break a string in this mode, your guitar will remain in tune.

(Holy crap. I sound like that guy in the demonstration video!)