Treble bleed mod that isn't the normal treble bleed mod...

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by LeviathanKiller, Oct 12, 2018.

1. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

So, my understanding of things may be incorrect in which case feel free to quickly educate me but here goes...

When you have a guitar with a tone pot, even when the tone pot is wide open, it still bleeds some of the treble off the top. In a guitar with no tone knob, you don't have any bleeding (low-pass filtering essentially). Is there a way/part to bleed off just that small amount of high treble in a guitar that came with no tone knob? I'm assuming you can't just use the same capacitor that you would have used had the guitar came with a tone knob so what do you do?

I know I could just use EQing to do this probably but I'd really rather normalize/equalize the guitar itself since I have other guitars with tone knobs that bleed the high treble. This way I don't have to have so many guitar-specific changes to my presets and stuff.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

you can definitely put a capacitor onto a volume knob. bigger values= more treble rolloff

3. LeviathanKiller

Wouldn't that incrementally affect the tone as the volume goes down though?

4. CapinCripes

CapinCripes Trem Snob

You could always wire a high friction tone pot and secure it with tape or some other way in the control cavity if it is large enough. The only problem would be making sure the knob position doesn't change.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  5. LeviathanKiller

Yeah like one of those super small mini pots

6. LeviathanKiller

If I just add an unnecessary mini tone pot I'll probably just use the 500k caps I have now

7. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've modded a few of my guitars to achieve a tone somewhere in between having a tone pot like normal and having it disconnected.

I used a 550k resistor soldered to a .47 capacitor rather than a real tone knob or a mini pot. Solder one end of the resistor to the first lug of the volume pot, then the other end of the capacitor to ground. That way a fixed bit of high end will be removed like normal, but you can control how much by changing the resistor or capacitor values.

cwhitey2 and LeviathanKiller like this.