Travel thread ... ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by p0ke, Aug 16, 2017.

1. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Hey!

Is anyone else here into traveling? Or well, who isn't :lol:

I have a travel related question, but I thought once that's dealt with, people can post their travel experiences or other questions etc. to keep it going :) Vacation photos also, please ;)

Anyway, I got married a couple of weeks ago, and we got a fair amount of money as wedding gift that we're intending to spend on a honeymoon. Thing is, we don't know where we're going or when :lol: The main goal would be to go somewhere warm, with palm trees, sandy beaches and azure colored water etc. The place should also be relatively cheap so we don't have to worry about money once we get there. If that's the case, then I don't mind paying 1k€+ for the plane tickets. We're not that much into physical activities like hiking etc, so those kinds of places can be ignored, but I don't want to spend a whole week on the beach either, so there's gotta be something interesting to see/do there too. My last two trips with my friends were to Vietnam and Japan, so I feel like it's time to go the other way for a change. Also, Asian culture isn't really mine nor my wife's thing (hence not considering going to Thailand for instance).

I have a few ideas:

South America / some Caribbean island:
    Plane tickets over there are a bit more expensive than I have in mind, but other that these places tick all the boxes. If anyone has any experiences about those island, I'd love to hear them! If we end up going that way, we might be going right after Christmas and coming back after new year's, which sounds perfect to me. It'd be nice to hear experiences about South America in general, as I'm also considering mainland countries for the destination.
    This is what I'm mainly looking at at the moment, but then I'd have to find some super deal on the flights.

Italy:
    Getting to Italy isn't expensive and neither of us have been there. We're also very much into Italian food. This option would delay our honeymoon until it starts getting warm over there again, as it's pretty cold in Italy around new year's (not compared to Finland of course) ... Suggestions about which city to go to are much appreciated! I think Rome is out of the question as it's too far from the sea, but what about Sicily or Naples? Or other coastal cities?

Croatia:
    Some friends of ours suggested this. I don't know much about Croatia, but it has the same weather problem as Italy. Apparently it might be a bit cheaper though.

Lisbon, Portugal:
    In early 2016 we were pondering whether to go here or Barcelona, and we ended up picking Barcelona that time. Same weather problem here too.

So yeah. I'd love to go ASAP :lol: but since my summer vacation just ended, the earliest chance of going might be around Christmas/new year's. After that it may have to wait until next summer, which is a depressingly long time from now :lol:
    Any other suggestions both in terms of time and place are much appreciated!

I was also gonna share some of my own traveling memories too, but this post got pretty long already so I'll save those for later. I've been to a bunch of places in different setups (with family, with friends, alone, with and without kids etc.), so those might be helpful or at least interesting to someone.

2. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

If you want winter warmth, and not Asian culture, maybe head to Australia or New Zealand? That's familiar culture with new geography.

The Arabian states are amazing in terms or architecture and food.

And never rule out the USA, that's got every kind of geography under the sun, from Southern California to Alaska depending on what you're into.

3. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I didn't mention that Australia is kind of off the list - my dad and his side of my family live there, and we don't want to spend our honeymoon visiting relatives :) And you know, if we go there and don't visit them, we'll be sending off some bad signals. I've also visited Australia so many times, I've spent more than a year of my life there. We will be going there at some point though, since no-one over there has met my wife or our daughter, apart from my dad who attended the wedding and visited us last summer. That'll have to wait some time though, as there's no way I'm taking a 1 year old on a 24+ hour flight :lol:

New Zealand was suggested to us already, but I was told the climate there isn't that nice. I guess it depends on where you go though, it's a big piece of land compared to Finland anyway.
    I don't know much about the Arabian states, but the general vibe I've got from those is that it'll be expensive. But like I said, I don't know, and I don't know anyone who has visited anywhere other than Dubai.
    And yeah, I suppose the US would absolutely be an option. There's plenty of cheap flights available too. I'll have to look more into it, for sure.

4. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

My favourite thing about somewh re like the USA is that its 'child friendly' you can see the golden gate or the Statue of Liberty with a baby or a toddler, and the heat doesn't have to be too hot.

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I've traveled quite a bit, but rarely anywhere there would be palm trees.

The Caribbean is kind of humid and sticky, and there are hurricanes when the rest of the world has autumn and spring. Then again, any place with palm trees will also have pretty much everything I don't particularly like - big bugs, mosquitoes, malaria, hurricanes, humidity, etc.

If you don't mind those things, and you want warm weather and beaches, but also with lots of stuff to do, you could go to Florida, USA. There are tons of things to do: Disney, Sea World, Busch Gardens, Universal Studios Theme Park, NASA, Beaches, different kinds of races (if you are into that). The food in Florida is sort of laughable, though. There would be a lot of people there, but, then again, anyplace you go with lots of attractions and things to do and nice weather is simply going to be bustling with people. At least there is a little less shady business going on in Florida than most Caribbean Islands or Mexico.

Canary Islands might be nice, but there would be fewer non-beach activities there, although the food is better.

For Italy, it kind of depends on what time of year, and also, if you like travelling, why not hit a few cities there? Florence, Venice, Rome, ... tons of cities with tons of unique history. I don't think you would run out of things to do in Italy as long as you were going to hit up a couple of different cities.

6. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I would have never thought to consider it until I saw some advertisement for it, but Sri Lanka looks super cool and the food there looks mega delicious. That is, unless you count Indian sub-continent as Asia

7. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yeah and the Canary Islands are a bit of a traveling cliché over here (that's where all the pensioners and people scared of foreign stuff go from here), so I don't think we'll be going there. But it'd certainly be an easy place to travel with the kids. I guess I didn't mention that we're not taking the kids with us for the honeymoon, as I thought it to be quite obvious.

As for the Caribbean being humid and sticky, I don't mind :lol: I didn't know there's a malaria risk over there though, but that's no problem with the right vaccination (I've been to Vietnam, took one small pill a day with my morning rum *krhmmm* I mean coffee and didn't get malaria :lol: ).

Florida then... If the food's generally no good, I'm not interested :lol: But I'm definitely looking into California and other states though! And Sri Lanka, hmmm... My mother in law comes from there, and she makes it sound pretty awful :lol: Might as well look into it though. And yeah, I count it as Asia, but the Indian culture is a whole different thing. Plus both me and my wife love Indian food, so that's a good thing.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  8. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Oops, accidentaly quoted my own text instead of editing ...

9. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Really? :eek: Well I'm interested why because I was kinda thinking that it might be our next international vacation... but I don't wanna go somewhere that's pretty awful...

10. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

You thought of Central America?

I come from Nicaragua and there's a looot of stuff to do there and its cheap once you get there (dunno how much the tickets would be from Finland)
    Some ideas of stuff to do there:
    Volcan Cerro Negro "volcano boarding": you hike from the bottom to the top of the volcano, which is mostly black sand, and once on the top you basically sandboard your way down. Its very cool and not many places around the world to do that

San Juan del Sur: Water is not crystal clear but the beaches are amazing. If you're into surfing this could be your thing, as they have had numerous world wide competitions there

Colonial towns: Granada, Leon, many more

Ometepe Island: I believe this is the island inside the biggest lake in the world? Anyway yeah an island where theres your usual tourism stuff plus over the past few years they've been organizing some music festivals there. Also fresh water sharks! :v

Volcano tours with beautiful scenery and Canopy tours

in Honduras you have the Bay Islands like Roatan, Utila, etc: perfect place for diving, snorkeling,crystal clear waters, etc
    My uncle from New Orleans used to go every summer there just to go snorkeling
    There's also Mayan Ruins in Copan

Costa Rica is amazing too. Lots of the volcano scenery from Nicaragua plus some other stuff like Rafting, which I highly recommend.

All 5 countries (Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Guatemala, El Salvador)share most of the same tourism categories like beaches, colonial towns, rain forest tours, and stuff like but each one has their own unique memes like the volcano boarding in Nicaragua etc.
    Just be aware that some of those countries are regarded as very dangerous like Honduras, EL Salvador, and Guatemala but tbh if you stay in the safe areas and nothing sketchy you should be fine.

I am skipping on many other activities you could do but hopefully that gives you an idea.

Normally I'd skip on this as I am from there but I've noticed that people from the other side of the globe really love doing all the stuff I took for granted while growing up over there haha

11. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

She made it sound as if the whole place is super poor and the general vibe is really depressing due to the poverty. Also her entire family migrated from there to Australia back in the day, there's gotta be a reason for that. But the conditions may have improved since, I don't know...

Haha, I know what you mean. Thanks for the tips, will definitely check them out! And yep, I know those countries are considered dangerous, but to be honest, what part of the world isn't dangerous these days? You could get run over by a truck driving into a crowd anywhere in the world :(

Volcano boarding sounds especially awesome by the way! Maybe not exactly honeymoon-stuff but if we traveled all the way there I'd certainly go for it.

takotakumi likes this.
  12. takotakumi

Man I know what you mean :(
    I like that flight prices to Europe have gone down but hate the reasons for why...

13. takotakumi

fuck that barcelona thing that happend today....

14. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yep, horrible :( That's one more reason not plan any city holidays...

15. takotakumi

ok wtf my friend over there in finland just told me about the mass stabbing too :(

16. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yep, don't need to go any further than Turku :( WTF is wrong with people ...

17. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

I travel a lot for work... and the most important thing I can offer is... I saw you mentioned the Caribbean... never fly LIAT airlines. 'Left In Another Terminal' is one of the many jokes. They have general seating out of most of those local airports and they regularly over-sell the amount of actual available seats on the plane.

I flew them 8 times in a row and 7 of those I didn't arrive/depart on my scheduled day. They also refuse to pay for hotels/food/etc when you do miss your flights and are stuck for the night. They have no customer service on site at most airports, so you will wait on them, which could be 8+ hours sitting in the airport lol. Just ask the other airlines... they all know and make fun of LIAT.

18. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Thanks for that tip! Haven't seen that airline flying from around here at all though, so I don't know if I need to worry about it.

19. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

No they are intra-Caribbean. Usually you'll take a major airlines into PR, DR, St Lucia, etc... then fly around to all the other smaller islands via LIAT or Seaborne. American Airlines shuttle used to fly those routes but they stopped. Not sure if they restarted.

20. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Cuba is another option. I had a friend visit and he had a great time and it's quite cheap. You have to be abit careful and not leave stuff unattended but he said he had a great time. Great beaches, great food and things to do aside being on the beach all the time. I don't know what's the situation for US citizens visiting though