Travel: Scandanavia June 2018 (Norway, Sweden, Helsinki, Reykjavik)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by man jerk, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Zender

Zender Tinkering, please hold.

Regarding Oslo:
    - If you can, take one of the ferries to Hovedøya, one of the small islands in the fjord. The time you're there is great for swimming. (And you can say you've been swimming in Oslo fjord.) These ferries hop several islands and head back to mainland Oslo, right in front of Town Hall. Bring a disposable bbq/grill and go native ;)
    - You might want to take the T-bane up to Frognerseteren. The ride up (sit on the left side when facing forward) gives you a very nice view of Oslo. Also, the surroundings are absolutely stunning when up there. Out of the urban, and right into nature. The blueberries (blåbær) might just about start to ripen at that moment, and they are everywhere up there.
    - And if you're into that kind of thing, check out Helvete/Neseblod record store. A central place in the early Norwegian Black Metal scene.

2. man jerk

man jerk SS.org Regular

The place that I am looking at renting in Oslo is on a small island in Oslo Fjord, right on the water. But I do intend to take a ferry ride to some of the other islands. Thank you for the recommendations.

I've got some metal/black metal tourist destinations in mind while on this trip and will check some out if time permits, and Helvete is on that list. Most definitely!

3. man jerk

man jerk SS.org Regular

Updated itinerary (subject to change of course)
    4 nights in Central Stockholm.
    2 nights in a cabin on the ocean in the Stockholm Archipelago.

2 nights on the out and back ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki

I'm hoping to find an overnight train from Stockholm to Bergen, but I think we will have to change trains in Oslo. This will be the longest train ride of the trip (12 hours +/-) and it would be nice to do it overnight but I don't even know if it's possible yet.

2 nights in Bergen

3 nights in Oslo

5 nights in Gothenburg
    One of these nights will be on the Midsummer holiday
    Staying in town for 3 nights
    Saying in the Archipelago 2 nights

2 nights in Copenhagen

4. Ebony

Ebony "The Sugarcoater"

Here is the time tablets for the boat taking you to the small islands in the fjord:

https://ruter.no/globalassets/rutetabeller/bat/baat-b1-rutetabell-09102017-311220172-korr.pdf

To get to the boat-docking from Sorenga (the island I'm assuming you're going to rent on) you either take the number 12 Tram (in direction Majorstua) from Jernbanetorget (just outside the Central Station) or you walk from Sorenga (3km walking, very simple route and the Akershus Fortress is on the way).

Edit: The boat-docking is across Radhuset near Aker Brygge

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  5. Ebony

Ebony "The Sugarcoater"

Yes, you will have to change trains but only once (at Oslo S).

6. man jerk

man jerk SS.org Regular

Looks like the Stockholm to Oslo trains leave at 11:06 (arrive 16:23), 16:04 (arrive 21:23), and 17:23 (arrive 22:28).
    I haven't found any actual time tables, I got this information from plan.rail.cc

Oslo to Bergen trains leave at 8:25 (arrive 14:57), 12:03 (arrive 18:55), 15:43 (arrive 22:21) and 23:25 (arrive 06:49).
    https://www.nsb.no/en/timetables/timetables/_attachment/14634?_ts=160694c37ae

So we could take the 16:04 train from Stockholm to Oslo (arrive 21:23), then take the 22:21 train to Bergen and arrive early the next morning. That sounds all well and good, but my understanding of the rail passes is that overnight trains after 7pm count for the next day. If this is the case then we would be using 2 of our 5 day rail passes for the Stockholm to Bergen trip. That is fine as I've been planning on buying a 5 day pass which is one day more than I planned for just this kind of instance. I'm just trying to avoid having an entire day devoted to a train trip with the kids.

The place we are looking at renting is actually Ulvoya, which is connected to mainland by a causeway and has bus service.

7. Ebony

Ebony "The Sugarcoater"

Oh wow, never even considered you'd be staying at Ulvoya given how astronomically expensive it is to live there, but then again I haven't a clue what it costs to rent small tourist-places there. You won't go needing for places to swim then, I've been to most of the beaches there and it's a great place.

8. man jerk

man jerk SS.org Regular

Ebony likes this.
  9. man jerk

man jerk SS.org Regular

Turns out we can get a pretty cheap flight from Stockholm to Bergen. For about $250 it'll take us 1.5 hours instead of 12+. So I'm buying a 3 day train pass instead of a 5, which saves me $200 and will give me more time in Bergen.

Ebony likes this.