Travel: Scandanavia June 2018 (Norway, Sweden, Helsinki, Reykjavik)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by man jerk, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Zender

Zender Tinkering, please hold.

Regarding Oslo:
    - If you can, take one of the ferries to Hovedøya, one of the small islands in the fjord. The time you're there is great for swimming. (And you can say you've been swimming in Oslo fjord.) These ferries hop several islands and head back to mainland Oslo, right in front of Town Hall. Bring a disposable bbq/grill and go native ;)
    - You might want to take the T-bane up to Frognerseteren. The ride up (sit on the left side when facing forward) gives you a very nice view of Oslo. Also, the surroundings are absolutely stunning when up there. Out of the urban, and right into nature. The blueberries (blåbær) might just about start to ripen at that moment, and they are everywhere up there.
    - And if you're into that kind of thing, check out Helvete/Neseblod record store. A central place in the early Norwegian Black Metal scene.

2. man jerk

man jerk SS.org Regular

The place that I am looking at renting in Oslo is on a small island in Oslo Fjord, right on the water. But I do intend to take a ferry ride to some of the other islands. Thank you for the recommendations.

I've got some metal/black metal tourist destinations in mind while on this trip and will check some out if time permits, and Helvete is on that list. Most definitely!

3. man jerk

man jerk SS.org Regular

Updated itinerary (subject to change of course)
    4 nights in Central Stockholm.
    2 nights in a cabin on the ocean in the Stockholm Archipelago.

2 nights on the out and back ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki

I'm hoping to find an overnight train from Stockholm to Bergen, but I think we will have to change trains in Oslo. This will be the longest train ride of the trip (12 hours +/-) and it would be nice to do it overnight but I don't even know if it's possible yet.

2 nights in Bergen

3 nights in Oslo

5 nights in Gothenburg
    One of these nights will be on the Midsummer holiday
    Staying in town for 3 nights
    Saying in the Archipelago 2 nights

2 nights in Copenhagen

4. Ebony

Ebony Drums

Here is the time tablets for the boat taking you to the small islands in the fjord:

https://ruter.no/globalassets/rutetabeller/bat/baat-b1-rutetabell-09102017-311220172-korr.pdf

To get to the boat-docking from Sorenga (the island I'm assuming you're going to rent on) you either take the number 12 Tram (in direction Majorstua) from Jernbanetorget (just outside the Central Station) or you walk from Sorenga (3km walking, very simple route and the Akershus Fortress is on the way).

Edit: The boat-docking is across Radhuset near Aker Brygge

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  5. Ebony

Ebony Drums

Yes, you will have to change trains but only once (at Oslo S).

6. man jerk

man jerk SS.org Regular

Looks like the Stockholm to Oslo trains leave at 11:06 (arrive 16:23), 16:04 (arrive 21:23), and 17:23 (arrive 22:28).
    I haven't found any actual time tables, I got this information from plan.rail.cc

Oslo to Bergen trains leave at 8:25 (arrive 14:57), 12:03 (arrive 18:55), 15:43 (arrive 22:21) and 23:25 (arrive 06:49).
    https://www.nsb.no/en/timetables/timetables/_attachment/14634?_ts=160694c37ae

So we could take the 16:04 train from Stockholm to Oslo (arrive 21:23), then take the 22:21 train to Bergen and arrive early the next morning. That sounds all well and good, but my understanding of the rail passes is that overnight trains after 7pm count for the next day. If this is the case then we would be using 2 of our 5 day rail passes for the Stockholm to Bergen trip. That is fine as I've been planning on buying a 5 day pass which is one day more than I planned for just this kind of instance. I'm just trying to avoid having an entire day devoted to a train trip with the kids.

The place we are looking at renting is actually Ulvoya, which is connected to mainland by a causeway and has bus service.

7. Ebony

Ebony Drums

Oh wow, never even considered you'd be staying at Ulvoya given how astronomically expensive it is to live there, but then again I haven't a clue what it costs to rent small tourist-places there. You won't go needing for places to swim then, I've been to most of the beaches there and it's a great place.

8. man jerk

man jerk SS.org Regular

Ebony likes this.
  9. man jerk

man jerk SS.org Regular

Turns out we can get a pretty cheap flight from Stockholm to Bergen. For about $250 it'll take us 1.5 hours instead of 12+. So I'm buying a 3 day train pass instead of a 5, which saves me $200 and will give me more time in Bergen.

Ebony likes this.
  10. man jerk

man jerk SS.org Regular

Have our plans mostly finalized.

4 nights in Sodermalm. We will likely do all of the typical tourist stuff. Skansen, Vasa, FIKA, Gamla Stan, Royal Palace, Drottnignsholm Castle. Suggestions welcome.

3 nights in a small cottage on the sea in the Stockholm Archipelago. Hopefully playing with the kids on the beach, and napping with the wife.

Fly to Bergen where we will spend 2 nights. Will do a Fjord tour, Bryggen, and the funicular.

Take the train from Bergen to Olso. We are renting a place on an island in Oslo fjord. Will go to the Folk Museum, the Viking ship museum. Again, suggestions Welcome.

Take the train from Olso to Gothenburg.
    Renting an apartment on the waterfront in Eriksberg. Will spend a day in the Southern Archipelago, Liseberg, will also be in Gothenburg for Midsommar.

Then take the train to Copenhagen and spend 2 nights in copenhagen before flying home.

11. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Sounds like a pretty solid plan :)

By the way, one thing not to do in Sweden: Don't buy beer from super markets! :lol: The alcohol laws in Sweden are pretty strict, so you can only get beer with 3,5% alcohol in normal shops, and those are no good. Buy beer from Systembolaget instead. Here in Finland on the other hand our laws just loosened up a bit, and shops are now allowed to sell stuff with up to 5,5% alcohol (was 4,7% until 31.12.2017).
    If you're going on the boat cruise from Stockholm to Helsinki you can buy cheap beer there (for example Olvi Export 5,5% was 10,90€/24 pack last weekend).

12. thraxil

thraxil cylon

Also know that Systembolaget is not open past 6pm or so on weekdays and just a couple hours on Saturday. Plan accordingly. On short trips to Sweden, I usually just bring a flask and pick up some whisky in duty free on the way in...

The Stockholm Archipelago is wonderful. Should be very peaceful and relaxing after a few days running around the city. I spent a week on Grinda island once. I grew up in Maine and I was there with a Russian friend from near Vladivostok. We both remarked that we felt right at home in terms of the trees and geography and general feel. Ie, if you knocked me out and dropped me on one of the islands there without any people around, I wouldn't be able to easily tell you if it was Sweden or Maine (or, apparently, Eastern Russia).

13. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

You should definetly go to northern Sweden, it's nice and pretty much daylight 24/7 around midsummer.

14. Seybsnilksz

Seybsnilksz SS.org Regular

In some places they'll be open until 7pm and on saturdays 3pm. Right when everyone wants a drink lol.

15. man jerk

man jerk SS.org Regular

I've already scoped out the Systembolaget locations near where we are staying :).
    And we decided that we aren't going to do the ferry trip. Decided to spend an additional day in Stockholm and one in the Archiplago.

I'm really looking forward to this. It will be a good chance to slow down and spend some quality time with the wife and kids. My wife and I have been spit balling some ideas on places we might like to move to, and Portland ME is very high on the list.

I'd love to, but will have to save it for another trip. I'd like to see Umea, Lulea, Kiruna etc.