Transgender 'Miss Universe; Canada' Finalist Disqualified

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Randy, Mar 27, 2012.

1. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

Similar in some ways..yes..but trying to pretend they're on the same level is an out and out lie. I'm not comparing myself to anything..as I've had a pretty good life on both fronts, however my close relatives were actually around during those times and they had it a lot worse. Getting into a fight for being gay is nowhere on the same level.

2. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

That is fair :yesway:

By no means do I think they are the same either just that the smaller size doesn't make it any less bad.

3. ilyti

ilyti Lazy Ryebread Viking

Guys, I wish we could all agree that Drak's view on the matter (that it's silly to comparing this issue to the civil rights movement) is completely right. If a gay black man has an opinion on whether being black or being gay is more of a challenge, take it from him. He has first hand experience with both, so his opinion should carry more weight with everyone. :2cents:

4. groph

groph SS.org Regular

This is part of the point I've been trying to make. It's an image contest. It's a celebration or a public spectacle of a beauty standard, of a commodified, plastered-on-billboards-everywhere-image-used-to-sell-products representation of an idealized female form. It has, in my mind and in this sense, NOTHING to do with anything "natural" about being a woman or "natural" femininity or anything of the sort. There are no men in the contest much as there are no matronly looking large women you'd see in the Ukraine mashing potatoes (I'm sure this is an accurate stereotype :lol:, Ukranians feel free to pelt me with rotten produce). Going by this logic, it doesn't matter in the least what the rules are, or whether or not a private organization has the right to set its own rules (I think one should, but don't consider things in a vacuum), or anything like that since it's really just about an outward appearance.

Perceptive post is perceptive.

Gonna call this one out. Blatant transphobia. Go ahead and have the opinion, but I hope you're aware that calling someone a "freak" isn't a good way to respect someone else's humanity and dignity.

Now, I guess one could say that I shouldn't make an example out of Ms. Talackova in the sense that a spectacle was made (in some people's eyes, not mine) out of the Montreal Massacre as a rallying cry for feminism - we shouldn't use Talackova as a "poster boy" for transgendered oppression/repression/disadvantaging/whatever, but this is an example of such oppression. This is the background leading up to this statement, and I apologize if I am putting words in your mouth, if I am then consider this to just be a thinking point: does "coddling" = advocating for oppressed people? IE - are we coddling black people through affirmative action, making sure their lives are cushy and cozy and they're guaranteed a job? That's closer to a description of white people (at least in better economic times, yeah it's harder to find a job now no matter who you are) if anything.

Did she misrepresent herself if there wasn't an option for anything other than male or female in the registration process? I don't think she was being intentionally deceitful - "HAHA, I'M GOING TO GET A SEX CHANGE AND COMPETE IN A BEAUTY PAGEANT JUST TO TROLL THOSE SUCKERS!" I'd think she was being genuine, she identifies as a woman, she got the surgery to look like a woman, she even went as far as to look like the kind of woman who would be in such a pageant; I don't think she was misrepresenting herself. So could a cisperson participate in a trans pageant? Well I guess not, and that's an interesting thing to think about.

First bolded line - yeah and that's the problem. People are going to be repulsed by a trans person and that's what advocates, trans people and their allies are trying to combat

Second line - yes it is silly, but we're talking about a human body that gives off every impression that it is a female, and one that conforms to the established order of "what men and women find attractive" so in this case it's not an incidence of a beluga whale suing NASA because it can't be a rocket scientist. Your statement sounds like an appeal to slippery slopes. It's not silly for people to want to be included in things on reasonable grounds, now where you draw that line is up for debate, yes.

Third line - that IS a slippery slope, and it also calls into question my objection with the first bolded point. I know these were just examples, but a furry wanting to enter in a dog competition would be met with scorn because everybody thinks furries are fucking weirdos where in reality their sexual practice harms nobody as long as its consensual. No, the universe isn't all inclusive but that's no excuse to be bigoted towards each other over things that are largely beyond the control of individuals in question.

AxeHappy and flint757 like this.
  5. Gothic Headhunter

Gothic Headhunter Born on a Monday

:lol:
    I'm curious, did you just think of that?

6. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Big girls need love too .:lol: