Transgender 'Miss Universe; Canada' Finalist Disqualified

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Randy, Mar 27, 2012.

1. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

Once again he speaks the truth..

And secondly..I cannot STAND when gays etc compare their issue with the civil rights movement. It is NOT the same and it's insulting to even suggest it. If you're honestly going to compare a man not being allowed to be in a woman's pageant to relatives as recent as in my mother and grandmother's lifetime being lynched and killed in front of their families, and own boyfriend watching a cross burning on his lawn as a child just because he's biracial..then you have SERIOUSLY missed out on the issue.

Ben.Last likes this.
  2. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

What rights do I (even though I am a foreigner, but we'll say I'm american) have that a transperson don't have?

3. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

People don't make comparisons to the Civil Rights movement just out of whimsy. While transpeople, Jakke, legally have the right to get married in most states in America, run-of-the-mill gay people don't, so I suppose transpeople don't have any rights you wouldn't.

I think the main message of the Civil Rights movement went beyond a simple wish to reform laws. It was for the most part a desire to be treated as equals in every sense of the word, beyond the legal ramifications. Separate, but equal, does that ring a bell? So when people from the LGBT community make those comparisons, they actually aren't just making shit up. Hate crimes against LGBT people exist, Drak. It may not be as widespread as the institutionalized, centuries-old evil that black people here faced, but then again, their numbers are fewer and they've got the benefit of this somehow hated political correctness behind them. Hatred, intolerance, and discrimination against them exists. Why should they not liken their experience to one that's both relevant and recent in America's cultural heritage?

4. bob123

bob123 Banned

No one's rights were infringed upon. I Really dont understand why everyone is so up in arms about this.

HE (yes HE) was in a competition for women. Thatd be like a male stripper applying to a female strip club and getting mad for not being hired.

They have transgender pageants. sHE should go do one of them, because sHE would win all of them.

5. BlindingLight7

BlindingLight7 Needs moar Gear.....

It took me 9 pages to come up with something witty...

Why ban her if the rest of the girls are just as fake? Fake tits, fake butts, fake faces, etc..

huzzah!

I'm going byebye now

so drunk

;)

6. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

Because most of the people who try to liken them are people who haven't dealt with racism. As a gay black person..the first thing people notice is my race. Being gay is something people don't have to know if I choose not to tell them, but being black is something I can't hide and it's something many of my relatives have died for. A gay person has many opportunities, especially if they're white that a straight black person still doesn't have. Do you think all the very financially successful gays, gay power couples, etc are living the "struggle" that black people faced? To even imply such a thing is ignorant at best. I understand that gay people have it difficult in some aspects, but there are alternatives and things that can be done..however you can't do anything about being black..just ask all the people who were castrated, lynched, raped, beaten, humiliated, terrorized, and killed..I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate well-to-do white gay guys claiming they have it just as hard.

7. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

This actually matches a post I said earlier where a comparison/analogy leads to an emotional response dude. And even though you are right for sure that black people had it bad for a very long time, comparing yourself to their cause is just as insulting because things are not nearly as bad today as it was back then either.

I know people who couldn't be hired if they found out they were gay and there are instance of people getting the shit kicked out of them for being gay or any other form of LGBT so I disagree with you. Just because it is smaller numbers does not mean it isn't similar. You in fact are disgracing another culture just because you think it is worse. Yes someone can hide being gay, but that is ridiculous logic to say it just doesn't matter as much as someone else's struggles.

8. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

The topic now has kind of transcended past this pageant and onto social issues and definitions, etc. of similar topic.

9. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

Can't be bothered to dig through this whole thread but all the HE talk is really disheartening. :2c:

I've known people who were transgender before and (at least the few I've been acquainted with) considered themselves to be the gender they migrated to. Their mindset was there and they just felt like they were born in the wrong body or at least born with the wrong plumbing or whatever. Now, it may not have been what Nimgoble was referring to but what I gathered from his arguments earlier (which I thought were some of the strongest in this thread), there are a LOT of things that factor into what "makes you a boy or a girl" and I, personally, find all of the "HE" this and "HE" that stuff to be pretty offensive.

Irrespective of the debate over the contest (which is now moot anyway), if somebody feels like a certain sex on the inside and they go through that much trouble to coordinate that appearance on the outside, they deserve a little more respect. :2c:

10. Ben.Last

Ben.Last Formerly Lern2Swim

There's actually surprisingly little "he" talk, considering the topic and venue. Most people, even those of us who disagree with her being in the pageant or her methods to do so, seem pretty accepting of the fact that she's living her life as a woman.

11. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

Depends how you define "surprisingly little". I prefaced with "can't be bothered to dig through this whole thread" just to cover my ass on some specifics I might've missed but I've been keeping tabs on this one and had the opposite opinion... I'm actually surprised at the very thinly veiled bigotry TBH.

12. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Ya it is about half and half I'd say. Although in the middle of the thread it really wasn't nearly as prevalent as it is now if my memory serves well.

In terms of the thinly veiled bigotry it feels more like hypocrisy to me which is just as bad. Some of the rebuttals feel like when someone says, "because you live in a first world country you have nothing to complain about", in style like the civil rights stuff. Just because someone had it worse at a point in time does not mean someone else should be ignored.

As a counter argument to something mentioned earlier when it was said that someone can hide being gay, what if someone back in the 60's said you could just put on a coat of white skin so don't worry about us being racist (if that were possible). You'd be offended and find that that is indeed not a fix for the problem, it is barely a band aid (not at all really). Sounds ridiculous doesn't it, but that is what some are basically suggesting for LGBT people.

13. Pooluke41

Pooluke41 H. Maddas

I don't think that they meant that you can hide it. eg: stay in the closet.
    I think they meant that it's not a notable trait that you can see. Unless you are told that that person is gay you wouldn't know it. While being black is something you can't hide.

EDIT: I wrote the wrong thing..... Just noticed it this morning..

14. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Thats not what drakkar was saying at all. He was just saying you cant compare discrimination blacks faced with discrimination lgbt peeps do today.

15. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

And my point is that doesn't diminish the problem in the slightest...

[EDIT]
    That'd also be like saying Jews have suffered far more than black people so that didn't matter either though as another comparisons. Which again would be absolutely ridiculous. When this come to people being treated worse/less than human it does not change the fact that someone is being treated unfairly and perhaps violently abused in many cases.

16. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Yeah, its just an offensive thing to say is all.

17. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Touchy subjects always come across as offensive on both sides usually.

18. Ben.Last

Ben.Last Formerly Lern2Swim

I'd be interested is knowing what you're considering to be thinly veiled bigotry.
    For the most part, the only statements I've seen bigotry in have been contributed by people who've hopped into the thread, trolled some closed minded crap, then ran.

19. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Ya that is the bulk of it

20. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

I don't think there has really been that much hate in this thread. There have definitely been some insensitive posts (and I in no way condone them), but most people have worded their posts nicely. Saying it in a negative way such as saying " transgender people are freaks and will never in any way be male/female" is hateful and terrible, or saying something with no backing whatsoever (even nicely) is hate, like if someone says "I don't believe black people are as intelligent as white people," but nicely stating that even after a sex change a transgender person still has his/her original chromosomes is not really hateful and the people generally mean well.

EDIT: just realized the same topic was addressed in the posts directly above mine. If you were only referring to the couple of posts that were blatantly hateful then we are on the same page, so this would be invalid.