Training to run a 6 minute mile...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Blytheryn, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

I'm 21 right now, and going to do my SAT's to hopefully get a math grade good enough for either the academy or any state school so I can knock it out and hopefully get a scholarship. I really should get out more, but summer is over here in sunny Gothenburg, Sweden which bumps the running motivation down a notch. It's really motivating to hear from guys who want to do the same thing though. What job post comission are you interested in?

2. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Bandages over your nips. Start with an elliptical if you need to (I used to get shin splints before I started working out). And just ramp up from there. Basically, running sucks and is hard on you knees if you don't run correctly. Google proper running technique, because I sure can't explain it. Lol. Best of luck in reaching your goals.

3. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Thank you, man! Last time I went for a long run (5 miles) I felt great and I was able to do it in 50 minutes. It got a lot slower in the end as I was running though the city and up some hills and huge bridges and whatnot, but I really just proved to myself that the endurance is there, I just need to keep heshing away at it. I'll look up the stuff on good running technique as well. Thanks for the pointers!

4. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

If I stay in the Air Force, I'm going for ALO (13L), which is a TACP officer. As of right now, I'm trying to go blue to green, though, and be an Infantry Officer (11A) in the Army, and hopefully progress from there, to 82nd/101st Airborne, and eventually 75th Ranger Regiment. I'm tired of straight leg jobs, so I'm trying to go to the special operations side of the military. And yes, I know my run has to improve drastically. :lol:

5. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

Hi guys, a bit late to the party as I was.... Running LOL!!

Lots of good advice here but the simplistic and easy to follow method I have recommended before for those doing the test is this.
    Run easy at a comfortable talking pace 3 days per week 30min to 1 hour long, enables endurance
    1 day per week warm up for 15 min at the above pace preferably on a track.
    Do one 80% sprint for 1 min or one lap, walk to recover for 2 min.
    Do one at 90% 1 min, walk 2 to recover
    Do one at 100% 1 min, walk until recovered
    Run easy 15 min home.

Another great tool is tempo running, on your normal run once warmed up pick up you pace so you can just maintain it, any harder is too much any easier is to easy. Aim for 5 min at a time at least once on every run.

Eating does not matter as long as your not starving, I always light eat an hour before but also run 5 min after getting out of bed for an hour.
    If you can access a heart rate monitor it would be a huge help!

Last, run by effort and time not speed and distance.
    Once you get comfortable bring that in for a pleasant surprise, you will run further and faster than you think.

Ok last last!!
    Intensity, don't run like you can't walk, run with purpose always thinking fast even when you go slow, keep the pace up. On intervals run like hell, hard as you can. On tempo stop at flat out then back off not go easy then go faster into tempo.

Cheers!