Training to be a Navy SEAL

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Tiger, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

Dont worry man, I dont take offense at all. Im not even close to being a SEAL yet so I dont take it personal.

SEAL/s are SO's, Special Operators (Advanced Tactical field special operator), and they are used especially in anti terror situations/hostage rescue so Im not sure where you're coming from. :) Right now unless Korea heats up Im almost guaranteed to be hunting down terrorists in the hills of Afghanistan.

You'd definitely be better at your job, of course, but the SEAL scope is pretty big. Everything from learning to ski with explosives to diving to blow up underwater rigs, its a be-all type of Operator with a huge emphasis on physical endurance and skillset after skillset after skillset. You wont find another kind of soldier trained that way, thats why its specific.

The program speaks for itself. :)

I'll be fine though, Henry Rollin's himself has wished me luck, so Im set.

2. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

Thats nice of you man, thank you.

3. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

SEAL/s Teams don't assault highjacked airliners :) Just saying.

I'm just pulling your chain, bubba. I wish you the best of luck, and like I said, after you get your Trident, swing by Group, and I'll make sure the SFA buys the beer.

4. Andii

Andii MAMMALHAMMER

Western NC in a secret lair high on the mountain
    "The U.S. Navy's Sea, Air, and Land (SEAL) Teams (commonly known as the Navy SEALs) are, along with Special Warfare Combatant-craft Crewmen, the United States' principal naval special operations force. SEAL teams are trained and have been deployed in a wide variety of missions, including direct action and special reconnaissance operations, unconventional warfare, foreign internal defense, hostage rescue, counter-terrorism, and other missions. Without exception, all SEALs are male members of either the Navy or the Coast Guard." -Wikipedia

5. Antenna

Antenna Oh God Damnit!

Agreed, If you're in SOCOM you pretty much have the same competence and operational scope of everyone else. Just dependent on which route you take to get into SOCOM and how far you would like a dick measuring contest to go is when you become different. I would also like to point out that being any of that doesn't make you better than anyone else, just like music it puts you in a genre but its all music and its all the same. Whether being an upfront warfighter, to having the title of "operator" to attaining the status of specialized tactician.... it all sucks but it is rewarding. I hope what I just said puts this conversation back onto Tiger working out to attain his special operations goal and gives a swift smack to any dicks that are still trying to be measured.

Tiger, did Henry Rollins really wish you luck.... cuz I'm pretty sure thats a combat multiplier you may very well become one of the greatest badasses of all time!

6. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

Mmhm.

'Zach, hey man. You have quite a challenge ahead of you and I wish you luck...Writing is hard, good luck with that. I am sure you will have quite a bit to write about with what you're going into. Good luck with that and thanks for the letter and kind words. Henry'

Brief but awesome enough for me by far.

7. Chickenhawk

This is going to come across a lot more asshole-ish than I intend. Not trying to be a dick, WHATSOEVER.

But, what Military branch have either of you two served in, and what did you do? Have you worked with, or had the privilage to witness any of the Tier I or Tier II units operate?

Anybody can "debunk" something said online by Googling a phrase, and quoting the Wiki entry, but at the same time having absolutely no idea what it means. Wiki is garbage anyways. Shit, "Tosh.0" was pronounced "Shmegma" for a while.

Not trying to be a dick to either of you, but this is the same as saying "The Axe-Fx is the greatest piece of gear ever, better than God", but having never used one.

I'm simply trying to help break the ignorant statement that the SEAL/s are the best. Again, no offence Tiger, I'm using the term 'ignorant' in its most strict, dictionary definition, and not in an insulting way.

8. Antenna

Antenna Oh God Damnit!

I was Army, I was in a Reconnaissance/Surveillance/Target Aquisition Squadron and I specialized In LRPS (Long Range Reconnaissance). I have Worked with 2/75 Rangers (SOCOM's bitches lol) and 5th Group SFA amongst several other task forces composed of different units under SOCOM. I have almost 2 years of combat experience in the theater of operations. So when I say everybody in SOCOM pretty much has the same job I know they do because these days everybody gets stuck in the same task forces doing the same thing just working towards a different goal.

9. Chickenhawk

Thanks antenna. My best friend was 3/75.

10. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

Haha, dont worry about offending me. Im sure Ill have a lot more to say on the subject in three years.

11. Antenna

Antenna Oh God Damnit!

Good ol Ft. Benning, your best friend is a better person for enduring that place.

12. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

Today I had a run that put me on a 4.9 TE on my Suunto watch. (on a scale of 1-5)

I came home and immediately felt bad and sleepy and kind of stupid mentally, things just werent working right up there. The sun sucks, man. Racked up a debt of about 1200 calories, this day has suuuuucked going to work. I just havent felt right and I need to sleep.

I have the most supportive girlfriend on the planet. On days when she is off she helps me fall asleep after running/training (napping is almost impossible for me) so I can recover better. I have a lot of sleep debt after this past week, I've gotta learn how to nap. : /

But hey, body is morphing.

13. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

Holy fuck running in super hot weather sucks.

Im pretty sure I gave myself a nasty case of heat exhaustion last Tuesday. Today I didnt get to run till around noon, and decided to get it over with fast and do a quick paced 3 miler on a rough loop. Maaaan.

My heart rate was over 190 for at least 10 minutes of it, and the rest was in the 170+ range. My VO levels are usually around 40-50 ml/min on runs, today it was 61. The heat SUCKS. At the same time, Im oddly addicted to hot running, as long as hydration stations are planned out I really dig it.

Anytime I try to feel sorry for myself I remember those three dudes who ran the saharan desert...in 111 days. Mind you, thats 4000+ miles, in 111 days. In the Saharan desert. Fuck.

http://www.runningthesahara.com/

Off to swim a mile then continue working with these fun drownproofing drills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnI8wE5fJXk&feature=related

14. Antenna

Antenna Oh God Damnit!

Dude is it just me or is this the hottest fucking summer you've ever felt in SC? The humidity is ridiculous. Haha, you're a better man if you go running at noon and tire yourself out here than the guys who ran the desert. A Desert enviroment may be extremely hot but it is not humid so it feels like an oven when you go out in it but you will eventually get somewhat used to it. This humidity here is bad because you sweat but it doesn't cool you off it just clams you up. Hows drownproofing going? swimming with that dummy rifle is just too much fun for only one individual to experience

15. Chickenhawk

I've done some hot weather training, but I sure as hell didn't voluntarily go running at noon, in the summer, in SC. Lol.

Keep it up bro, you're motivating me to stop being lazy, and kick up my training routine.

16. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

It is SO FUCKING HOT. My car got totaled last year (Engine died after my timing belt hit a valve, fucking Focus) and my Dad loaned me his 1990 Ford Ranger to drive, which has no air conditioning. So every day I drive to work sweating my ass off, it fucking sucks.

I have gotten used to running in it, I finally got a good Camelbak and did 10 miles on Wednesday, had to refill it 3 times but I felt fine. I really do like running in the heat, its everything else that sucks, like walking outside into the yard and within three feet my armpits are soaked. : /

Im being careful with speedwork though. I have a 3 mile course with hills that a few times a week I try to run fast, thanks to a girlfriend argument I didnt get out till noon yesterday and I watched my heart rate get dangerous. It got up to 193 and I slowed the fuck down, because who knows what kind of bad shit can happen out there right now.

Drown proofing is no so bad. I can travel distance pretty well with my hands/feet bound, I can dolphin kick and pop up for air, my body is weighted right for it. I have not tried much of the bobbing because I swim at a Gold's who has shallow ass pools most of the time, I only get to do that at the YMCA once or twice a week. Flipping is fine. I know I SUCK at treading water without hands but no one has showed me that yet.

Its all for fun at the moment, I enjoy the hell out of it. I dont think of it as a chore in any way, its what my day revolves around.

17. drgordonfreeman

drgordonfreeman On vacation

Well, I applaud you for your goals. My older brother is a Captain with the Airborne Ranger 3/75, Fort Benning, GA. He was selected this June for Special Forces training, and we're all very excited for him.

The Navy SEALS are the most respected special forces group in the U.S. military, followed closely by Army Special Forces.

The level of athlete you'll encounter in BUD/S training is phenomenal. If these guys weren't in the Navy, then they would have 1,000 Olympic gold medals. It's just amazing what many of them can do.

BUD/S is incredibly difficult. Ridiculously difficult, and no amount of training in the world will prepare you for what you will encounter. Remember, every single guy there is convinced he has what it takes to make it through training, and yet look at the attrition rate. I cannot emphasize the difficulty enough.

If you don't make SEALS, which the odds are against you on, are you okay with scrubbing barnacles off the side of a ship for the rest of your contract term? If not, then you might consider a different special forces path. For example, if you went Army 11-b and you didn't make Ranger school and/or Special Forces selection, then you can still kick ass, blow shit up, and kill people as an 11-b. If you don't make SEALs, and like I said, the Navy doesn't kick ass, blow shit up, or kill people, then you're swabbing the deck.

Also, do you have a college degree? If you do, then I would HIGHLY suggest you contract as an officer. I will warn you, though, that Navy OCS is brutal. One of the most brutal in the military. Marine OCS is the most hardcore, followed very closely by Navy OCS, then Army OCS, and lastly, Air Force OTS. However, if you're seriously considering becoming a SEAL, then Navy OCS is nothing. It's a walk in the park compared to BUD/s. At any rate, I would seriously look at Navy OCS, if you have a degree. The life of an officer is INFINITELY, and I mean INFINITELY better than an enlisted guy. My brother contracted with the Army as an 09-S straight out of college.

At any rate, I do not mean in any way to discourage you. It's always impressive to see people shoot for the moon and actually land on Mars, you know what I mean?

My brother has been through Fort Benning BCT, OCS, Infantry branch school, Ranger school, and Airborne school (which isn't really that big of a deal), and he will tell you that even after all of that, he is shitting his pants about Special Forces training. He didn't feel the selection try-out was that big of a deal. However, the horror stories he has heard of what they make you do (you are training with the SAS after all) in actual training keeps him up at night.

Navy SEALS training is just as hardcore. You can't argue one is more hardcore than the other, because they serve different purposes, but I digress. They are equally as hardcore and brutal. So much so that you will probably have nightmares about the things they made you do, if you don't make it. If you make it, of course, then you are a monster machine capable of destroying galaxies half way across the universe, so the ridiculous amounts of pain probably you'll encounter in training won't phase you to begin with.

I know you think you are mentally prepared for what you are about to encounter, but I promise you, you are not. That does not mean do not do it. NO ONE is prepared for what they encounter. You just have to try. Like I said, no amount of training in the world will prepare you for the brutality you will experience. Just understand that nothing they do there will kill you. It might push the envelope, but it won't kill you. That's the one thought that pushed my brother through on everything he's done. He just kept thinking, "I'm not going to die, I'm not going to die, I'm not going to die! Keep going, because this won't kill me!"

You should also realize that your relationship will end. This is a fact. I know people say it can be done, but no, it can't. You have to decide: either you want a normal life, or you want a life with the special forces. The two ARE mutually exclusive.

Some tips I can give you:

RUN. I mean, run a shit ton. Shit ton is not enough emphasis. Find the largest hill near where you're at. I'm talking a hill that goes up at a 60 degree angle for a mile or more. Run that every day at a sub-7:00 min/mile pace for several miles, and by several, I'm talking in the 9 to 10 range. For example, in OCS, they made my brothers class run up what's known as Cardiac Hill at a solid 6:30 min/mile pace. The hill is basically straight up. On an easy running day, they would run 6 miles. Most of the time, it was between 9 and 10. Of course, that was just their morning PT. Then you have the rest of the day of obstacle courses, classes, field exercises, etc. in which running throughout ALL of it. When you get up from bed to use the bathroom... yep, you're even running to the bathroom. There is never a point where you're not running. I'm serious about that. They would get you in a lot of trouble if they saw you walk anywhere. That's just OCS, too. That's not Ranger school or Special Forces training.

None of that is anything compared to the amount of running done in Ranger School. In order to qualify for Ranger School, the run time was 5 miles in 37 minutes, I think. If you actually ran that, then you didn't make it. A competitive time was more in the 25 minute range. NONE of that is done on flat surfaces, either, so keep that in mind.

Army Special Forces try-out run times were about the same. Most guys were running 5 miles in around 20 - 25 minutes.

The military, all branches, and ESPECIALLY the special forces, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE running you to the point of death. If there is one thing you need to focus on, then it is running. I cannot emphasize enough how much and how fast you need to run.

A decent pace is 6:00 min/mile for up to 10 miles. If you can do this without too much of a problem, then I'd say you're close to where you need to be PT wise for BUD/s.

Also, make sure you can do about 120 push-ups in 2 minutes and 120 sit-ups in 2 minutes. I think that was the norm for my brothers Ranger school experience and Special Forces try-out.

There were guys who ran 4:00 min/mile pace for 10 miles, could do 150 push-ups and 150 sit-ups in 2 minutes, etc. These are just the genetic freak, super athletes that you will encounter. And let me say, you will encounter a ton of them as you move up the food chain into special forces training and whatnot. Don't let them discourage you, but try to use that for encouragement and to do better.

Swimming is also tantamount. They don't swim in the Army, except for a little bullshit Combat Water Survival Test thing they do that a first grader can pass. The Navy is different. All that bullshit about swimming 500 meters in so much time. Yea, right... Someone's dreaming there. More realistically, if you live near the ocean or large lake, then I highly suggest you have a friend boat you out at least a mile, and you swim the rest of the way in as fast as possible. A 20-25 minute time here is ideal, but rest assured, there will be plenty of guys that do it in much faster times. If all you're doing to prepare for the swimming part of BUD/S is a 500 meter swim, then you are woefully ill-prepared.

I'll let you know how my brother's special forces training goes, as I hear things. He's disappearing for a year and a half, literally!!! I don't know if he's allowed contact with family or not. If he is, then I will see what he has to say.

The brutality of Green Beret training is very similar to Navy SEALs training, so if he has any inspiring insight, I will let you know.

I am really excited for you, and I plan on following your progress here!

Best of luck, man. I really hope you make it!!!

Sang-Drax likes this.
  18. Chickenhawk

You're brother will be on lock down for SFAS (selection), but once he makes it to USAJFKSWCS, and later to his Group for additional training and language, he will have most of his afternoons off, and most weekends. He will be able to call, and keep in touch with his family. But everything he learns (including the routines) at SWC is highly classified, so don't expect details (and if you get details, I'm sure he'll get his ass royally kicked).

Hell, when I was at Bragg, I drank with guys that were attending SWC. They'd come over to my best friends house (Ranger attached to 7th) and spend the weekend getting stupid with us.

You're intel on the running is a bit on the heavy side, btw. A 4 minute mile pace for 10 miles is record setting for the Army 10 mile in D.C. (a good friend of mine ran ~57 minutes).

Yes, all SpecOp run, A FUCKING LOT, but they don't run 10 miles at a 4 minute pace. They may start that way, to shock people, and see how many quit in the beginning, but they slow it to a 5:30-6:15 pace for the remainder. Still ballsout fast for that distance.

Keep us updated on your brother, man. PM me, I've got a few resources he will find VERY helpful.

19. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

Whoa how did I miss this?

Sorry for not replying sooner, than was a very thoughtful post. I know full well that Im trying to do one of the hardest things on the planet possible. But like you mentioned, the fact that it wont kill me frees me up.

Fact is, there is NO way to possibly prepare enough for BUD/s. I can try and try but they'll just take my best and then make it a little bit harder to break me. Its futile in a lot of ways, but I can push as far as possible now in the hopes of it making it in some small way easier.

But thats the fun of it. I've spent the last two years working, I guess I could stay here forever trying to get perfect but Ill burn out eventually. Ive got 2 months left to put the icing on the cake and get ready for action. All the nightmarish things that are coming will be dealt with a day at a time. Its worth living for.

20. Chickenhawk

That's exactly the fun in it. You've spent all this time preparing, and have done everything possible to be ready, but when you get there, it will STILL kick your ass.