Training to be a Navy SEAL

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Tiger, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

LOL Update:

So I went and did MEPS again. The whole day, at every station (military guys know what Im talking about) they told me 'Why are you here? Your last physical is still valid." And I'd say yea I know, they sent me here to get my right leg checked out.

Literally all day they passed me along, until the end when I spoke to the head MD (she was a cunt) and she told me I'd have to have an Ortho. Well NO SHIT, thats why I am here, right? Well they only do the on Wednesdays.

So quite literally I got up at 3 in the morning and spent 10 hours doing a redundant physical and having an old man play with my balls and people watching me piss for ABSOLUTELY NO REASON and I have to go NEXT WEDNESDAY again. So I get to stay at some shitty hotel again and fuck up my day off with bullshit.

Military can be so ass backwards. I was enraged...girlfriend came over though and I had a nice birthday. My friends came out to my favorite sushi place and I had a bottle of Black and Gold (Kuroi to Kin?) sake, then she took me out to the local strip club dressed as sluttily as possible.

2. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

Kinda old but I found my 2 rep max is 335 right now. Way way more than my squat. Im currently 147lbs.

3. B Lopez

B Lopez Vescere bracis meis.

lmao you're not even in yet and you get the full taste of it.

mr wobbles in the background of the video had me cracking up

4. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

Not sure if I posted in this thread yet, but damn, thats quite the transformation. I also am feeling extra uh.. large.. tipping over 210 and being only 5'10 =[

Im planning on joining the plain old Military, so I wont need to get in crazy shape like a SEAL would, but at least make basic training seem like a breeze. The only part that concerns me, is the running =[

Did you have like, shin splints and stuff when you first started? I have them but I dont think its like an "issue", because I never had them when I was in shape years ago, so im hoping its solely the matter of me being out of shape, rather than something that could potentially disqualify me from entering the military. Hmm

5. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

It's likely just running too much too soon or hard surfaces. I'd try to get in trail runs, and buckets of ice water/calf stretches. To an extent, you have to run through shin splints, but at the same time if the muscles are damaged or repairing themselves it could be dangerous to run without adequate support.

The last six months have been so chock full of retardation, its amazing. Just gotta be patient...

6. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

I am starting treadmill running (have one at home) so I can stop when it really starts to hurt the shins, but sometimes its retarded; I'll do like 10 minutes, not really be out of breathe/tired but my shins will be killing me.. I guess I just need to be more consistent with it and hope it'll go away soon =[

7. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

Update: After another trip to MEPS Im cleared (Wow, the Xray they took looked the same as my healthy Xray I payed my doctor for in January, go figure)

So next week I take a PST to show I still have a qualifying score, then they drive me up there on Wednesday to sign my SO contract (again). Thats when I have my ship date.

8. Antenna

Antenna Oh God Damnit!

Two years of training and waiting and all that trouble when all you had to do to attain a higher military competence was go to the army office in MEPS and say "Hey put me in for SOPP-C so I can become SF!" and the SSG or SFC in there would look at you and smile while giving the very incompetent sailors the finger.

9. Antenna

Antenna Oh God Damnit!

oh and on a serious note man I'm kinda coming in late on all this but your working out looks like its awesome, but I really do wanna suggest this try doing ruck marches this is a practical excercise that it seems you haven't been doing. In a combat arms feild like you are going into you will be doing everything you're talking about training for but with weapons and ammo and more gear and everything you can think of pulling at your shoulders and back. We all know that seals are bad asses but one thing that is the meat and potatoes of operations is reconnaissance, this is my background and I can tell you it sucks when you put all that weight on yourself and start walking. I thought i was a stud because i could pull up and push up and sit up and run my ass off but when you add 80+lbs and start going it starts to suck REALLY fast. I suggest getting a backpack and filling it evenly with 35-40lbs and walking 12 miles within 2 1/2 and 3 hours just going as fast as you can then up your weight as you get better. This will tax your mind and body like you've never felt but it is super rewarding. this is all from just my experience so you can take it with a grain of salt but I hope it will help you get you where you want to go man.

10. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

I hear that, I'll give it a shot.

Shipping September 8th, good stuff.

11. Antenna

Antenna Oh God Damnit!

good luck to you man, hope your career is long and leaves the world with less extremists. And if you ever come up around rock hill or charlotte area hit me up dude. oh yeah one last question... did you goto ft. jackson for meps? and if so is that old black doctor with a jerry curl still working there, he's the asshole that stares at your dick while you pee 3 feet from the urinals into that cup. His name is Mr. Head haha what a name for somebody thats a meat gazer for a living.

12. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

Hahaaaa YES he is man. He's nice to me. Dr. Condom is still there too, but he's been there forever. He also leads the whole 'duck walk' in your underwear part while the Doc watches. Theres always two or three dumbasses who cant do it.

13. Antenna

Antenna Oh God Damnit!

haha yeah there were two when I went, man that is hilarious, Everytime you goto MEPS will be the worst days of the military you will know, besides basic but those are the best and worst. Man that was 6 years ago for me and I still remember going to MEPS and how shitty it was.

14. R3D

R3D SS.org Regular

crossfit, its quick and it jams you. a mix of every thing really, perfect for military fitness aplications good explosive power for firing and moving and what not, maybee thow in some iso holds for stuff like cqst where your in a battle crouch for extended periods of time...

15. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

Finally read this thread.

Good luck man. Watch your knees and ankles. I know jack-shit about SEAL training, but I know that in any Army Spec-ops (Airborne, Ranger, SF, etc) that knees and ankles are the first to go.

Shit, that's why I'm out of the Army. Blew my knee out.

Just a friendly heads up. I'm sure you'll do fine though, you've been training your ass off for this for a long time. Best of luck!

PS: SEAL/s aren't the 'most elite' troops. Just serve a different purpose in the 'most elite'. Anything around Tier 1 is damned near unstoppable regardless of calling them SEAL/s, Recon, CAG. Special Forces, Delta, Underwater Basket Weavers, whatever.

16. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

I dont have to jump out of planes till after BUD/s, so Ive got a bit before damage starts occurring.

SEALs actually are the most specialized and rigorously trained group of the armed forces, argued as the most elite on the planet. :) I have immense respect for all special warfare groups but none higher than veteran SEALs. Im not just saying that because I want to be one, I chose them specifically for that fact.

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/WLSTANDARDS.pdf

Killing time and training...according to this thing Im between intermediate and advanced in all skills with almost all of them besides Press leaning towards advanced. Which is weird because I do weights at most twice a week.

I weight 146 (for like the last month, lol) and just started press. Weights for me right now are burn out on a stair climber, then 5x5 with Press, 5x5 with squats, then 5x5 with deadlift. Slays your whole body.

17. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Very strong lifts for such a low weight :eek:

Nice work!

18. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

Well I like to at least think that Im helping to debunk the silly 'cardio = weak muscles' myth. Dont get me wrong, Im sure if I wanted to I could cut cardio and get much bigger, but I want to actually be in shape. You dont have to be in shape to lift things.

19. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

I've heard this argument a million times, and I've never been shown proof (hard evidence) that SEAL/s training is more "specialized" than, lets say, a Special Forces Medic, Naval EOD Tech, or CAG Operator. They all have their own specific mission sets, and are the best at what they do.

Put a SEAL in a situation where an Operator should be used (hostage resuce, anti-terror, etc). The SEAL might complete the mission, but will NOT do it at the level the Operator would.

Vice-Versa. Have that Operator deploy from a boat or sub, land on a beach in the middle of the night, and eliminate an enemy force. He might be able to do it, but the SEAL would have done it better.

We're talking Tier I and II units. One is not "better" than another. Plain. Simple. Fact.

As a matter of fact, come do my job (either what I did in the Conventional Army, or what I will be doing in Group). You should be able to figure it out, but I promise you I'm better. Now, ask me to do something within the SEAL scope of responsibilty, and I promise it will be considered total failure, at best.

Not knocking you, Tiger. I wish you the best of luck, and think you have made an amazing career choice. Come by anytime, and I'll buy the beer. :yesway:

20. Papa Shank

Papa Shank Be-otch

All I want to say is, inspirational! A few years ago I was training for the Paras over here (UK) and had I put as much effort into it as you have then I'd have blown them away. All the best with the SEALs!