Training to be a Navy SEAL

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Tiger, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

I hope this is not an egotistical thread to make, but I would like to journal the steps I'm taking towards my goal here. I've seen similar threads, but if its against a rule please close it.

So, to preface, I was raised in a traditional okinawan karate dojo since I was 8, and my Sensei was a SEAL prior to opening his own dojo. He's a true father figure in my life and is the closest to a hero I have. The entire idea of the SEALs stems from my relationship with him, and that its an extreme extension of my own training.

After graduating High school I wanted to live a little, I traveled the entire country, went to college and met a great girl whom I live with currently. But after 4 years of civilian life I am officially sick of it and am ready to pursue my goal. I could keep going as I am forever and ever, comfortable in a nice house with a great girlfriend, but I'm not that kind of person.

So now that its been confirmed that I can get PRK surgery for my eyes and that the Navy can let me take the PST for SEAL boot camp 6 months afterwards, I am aiming for March of 2009 as a start date. This is definitely bound to fluctuate depending on when the Navy has enough SEAL candidates, but hopefully not more than a few months. As long as I can pass a PST every month, consisting of:

* 500-yard swim using breast or combat side stroke in 10:00 minutes
    * 79 push-ups in 2 minutes
    * 79 sit-ups in 2 minutes
    * 11 pull-ups from a dead hang (no time limit)
    * Run 1.5 miles in boots and long pants in 10:20

I need to add some pull-ups and improve my swim technique ('m not a great swimmer, I never had lessons so I need proper technique) but besides that I would already qualify. I really want to be able to blow these requirements out of the water though, so for the next three months especially I am hitting it, hard.

I feel behind because I've had very bad shin splints the past few months because of gymnastics, and I've had a bruised rib the past month from karate, so my running and cardio has been negatively affected.

Today
    Weight: 144lbs

I am struggling with probably the biggest obstacle: My eating. Not in the sense that I eat too much, I'm the exact opposite. I eat very very slowly, and I feel sick if I stuff myself quickly. My stomach feels tight and my mouth gets dry, and I feel full after half a sandwhich. I do not starve myself, rather I eat about 3000 calories over the course of a day but rarely have big meals.

I made myself eat a sub from arby's in one non stop sitting. Time? 30 minutes. Hard work! I'd normally eat the whole sandwhich over about 3 hours.

I'm experimenting with different ways of eating a full meal quickly. Ive figured out that I chew too much, like 30-40 times a bite, so now I chew about 10 times then drink some water and swallow. This works but I feel full faster because of the water.

To at least start slamming on calories, I bought the generic weight gain powder from GNC yesterday and a blender. I make a full shake a day, which is as follows:

1 or 1 1/2 Scoop(s) of GNC powder (Banana flavor)
    2 Tablespoon of peanut butter
    3 pieces of fruit (From Wal-mart, usually mango/pineapple/strawberry
    1 Tablespoon of Honey
    2 Tablespoons of Olive oil
    3 Cups of Milk

About 1200 calories total.

I have not yet but I will add some nonflavored yogurt to this soon and maybe 1 or 2 eggs. Ive been recommended the egg part but I am scared of salmonella. It would bring the shake up to about 1500 calories. I am also concerned about the degree of sugar in the shake, but since I drink it over the course of the day I havent felt a sugar rush yet.

Training wise today I filled a garbage bag with 40lbs of sand and then wrapped it several times in other garbage bags, then knotted it all off and put it in a bookbag. Did some jogging with that but my shin splints are still crazy from my last class, so scrapped the idea and went to town on variations of pushups with the bag on. Completely burned out my arms and then went on to my stomach. After about an hour and a half I called it, only because tomorrow is a day off and I'm going to get in a lot of training then.

A day at a time, but after PRK surgery Ive got weekends planned so that I can stay up for 40 hours training and moving so that when Hell Week comes I can be mentally prepared for the first few days, which are the most intense.

Well that was a lot to say but it felt good to put it all out, as I've kept to myself about it in day to day life.

2. Jason

Jason Forum MVP

Good luck on your training. May I suggest trying out some Silk? or some Soy milk versus the moo juice. It got same amount of calcium with some other added bonuses and it tastes better. :agreed:

3. B Lopez

B Lopez Vescere bracis meis.

Sandbags are rough.

Are you already in the Navy? So there's a separate boot for SEAL candidates? Or do you still have to go through the normal basic as well?

4. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

You go through boot camp only you're set aside from regular navy recruits with the other SEAL candidates. You're put through a more physical program and spend a lot more time in the water.

And no I am not in the navy yet, I have to get a post operative from my eye surgeon saying that the procedure was a success and that my eyes are ready to go.

I havent tried it, but I adore regular milk and always drink it by itself anyway.

5. MorbidTravis

MorbidTravis Banned

so, what kind of job do you want as a navy seal?

6. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

Thats kind of going to depend on what the SEAL team I am assigned to needs. Once I am actually made a SEAL I am definitely going to go to school for some extra abilities, for personal interest and for more money. I'd love to go to sniper and language school.

But the first job I want is to just be a deployed SEAL. :)

7. Jason

Jason Forum MVP

I too like regular milk but your body processes soy much easier.

8. forelander

forelander you fail me

My mates in the Australian Army and he said shin splints was a fairly large problem. Like a stops you from being able to continue in the Army sorta problem. I dunno if things are different for the US Navy, but he's scared as hell of getting shin splints in training cause they'll basically discharge him.

9. Sebastian

Sebastian Poland CEO / RHLC ©

Good luck on your training ! I hope you'll reach your goal :yesway:

10. damigu

damigu stay tuned

my friend was a marine sniper (only 400-500 in the entire armed forces). similar level of training as the seals.
    the physical training was hard but most people could have passed it. it was the mental aspect of the training that was the real challenge. you have to learn a lot and constantly use pretty much all of what you learned.
    he actually failed out of the program the first time. he had to wait before he could enter again, but that second time he passed with flying colors.

11. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

Today:

This is like the 5th day of being blind, its long ago lost its novelty. I have to walk to work, but I'm doing it with 50lbs of sand in a bookbag. My shin splints are still a concern so I'm putting running off for another month or two.

I've found a gym with a good 50m size pool to join after my eye surgery. I'll be hitting the pool daily, so I'm sure I'll get my money's worth.

I'm doing daily PT stuff that I need to post here at some point because there are a lot of cool SEAL calisthenics that I wouldnt have thought of. After the first workout using some of them I was ridiculously sore.

Thats the other thing, I'm making myself do it daily with no recovery times, although sometimes I stagger the workouts. Its always been intuitive to me to rest a day or two when I was sore, but working through that is getting easier.

I'm too blind to play video games though :( Less than 2 weeks left though.

12. B Lopez

B Lopez Vescere bracis meis.

I'm interested in those workouts, if you could post them when you get a chance, please. :D

Just remember to use good judgment with recovery, because that's just as important if not more important than the workout itself.

13. damigu

damigu stay tuned

absolutely true.

you shouldn't be strapping on that 50 lbs on when walking to work if you have shin splints. if anything, you should be carrying even less for the time being. the extra stress will only slow the healing process that much more, possibly even make it become a chronic condition if it is prevented from healing properly now.
    let it heal, then you can get back into that stamina training regimen.

14. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

Walking/hiking has caused no pain for the shin splints, its been the high impact stuff like gymnastics and running that Ive had to put to a stop. The bookbag stuff only works my upper body right now, my legs are far and above stronger and used to loads. I'm also doing a lot of calve workouts to keep my strength up during recovery.

The lack of recovery times is more about changing the chemical makeup of my body, which is why they do the same thing in indoct and BUD/S. Your body can function and excel, but the three energy supplies (Someone help me here, its ATP+CP, then ATP+CP plus lactate, and then something else) have to be tweaked.

Im not running for a while even though I really need to be getting serious with it.

15. ibznorange

ibznorange Chief Officer/RHLC © Contributor

awesome dude.

a tip i picked up from my brother who is a body builder. i have the same eating issue as you, where i will eat a lot (~2700 calories a day at 140 pounds, 5'10) but its very much a grazing process, rarely are meals involved. Eat right after you get up. before your shower or anything. Eat a big ass meal right away. When i do, i actually get really hungry and will eat full meals throughout the day. Once i started doing this daily i went up from about 122 pounds to over 150 in a few weeks, while losing body fat (working out quite a bit too of course). I had been unable to gain weight and make myself eat more regularly for years, regardless of how much i worked out. My brother got me doing that and the change in my eating patterns was amazing

16. forelander

forelander you fail me

ATP+CP, Lactic Acid and the Aerobic system?

17. DslDwg

DslDwg SS.org Regular

Unless things have changed drastically since I was in the Navy there is not a separate boot camp for recruits who want to go to Seal School. The way it worked was during the normal boot camp path anyone who wanted to take the test to go to Seal School were allowed - it of course consists of a Physical fitness and swimming test. Once the recruit graduates from boot-camp he would then go to his "A" School which would give him his particular Navy skill. The idea being if the guy fails Seal school he will still have a skill which he can use in the regular Navy fleet. Once completed with "A" school he will go to Seal School and I think we know what happens at that point :nuts: ha-ha. My advice if your serious is go talk to your local recruiters and they should be able to let you know how it all works.

18. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

Things have changed dramatically actually. A lot of my older Navy friends have offered factually incorrect advice on SEAL/s and it initially scared me. So after a few quick phone calls and emails, I got this reply:

"The worst possible thing you can do in the military is take what someone that has been retired as gospel. Many thing change, sometimes nearly yearly. If your friend is retired, then when he went joined, he had to pick a source rating, dep in, go to boot camp, take the PST in boot camp, pass it, graduate boot camp, go to school for his source rating, graduate and then request a seat to BUD/S. Those days are long gone.

Now, SEALs is considered a rate in itself. People that want to be SEALs take the ASVAB and the physical. You need a qualifying pass on both. Potental SEALs then pick a rating to enter the Delayed Entry Program. You are allowed to take the PST after you swear into the Delayed Entry Program. Upon pasing the PST, you will be issued a SEAL contract, and you will be expected to pass at least 1 PST a month until you ship to basic training.

In basic training, all Spec War candidates (SEAL,SWCC,EOD,DIVER and AIRR) are in seperate companies. This way they get extra time for physical conditioning. Upon gratuation from basic training, they go to a prep course. For BUD/S the prep course will be at least 8 weeks and no longer than 16 weeks. Upon completion of the prep course, you go to BUD/S.

Your recruiter is being completely honest with you. That is how the system works today. Anybody that is retired, probably has absolutely no idea how much things have changed.

T.B. Cacy QMC(SW) USN
    Naval Special Warfare Coordinator
    Northwest Florida"

19. DslDwg

DslDwg SS.org Regular

Things have certainly changed a lot. So what happens to person who doesn't make it through complete training? He then goes back to "A" school? or he goes to the fleet as a striker?

20. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

You choose a job again as if you were signing up for the navy first time.

If you DOR its hard to be let back in to BUD/S, but if you have to stop due to injury then you just get rolled back in to it once you heal. So other than failing tests the only way not to make is to quit or break your head!