Trades for things that you don't need, but are more valuable?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by TedEH, May 17, 2018.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Not sure if this should have gone in off-topic, but I'm curious about what people do when you put up ads for sale or trade, and get offered stuff that you don't really want, but the value works out in your favor.

in this case, I listed a set of Blackouts that I replaced with some passives, and got offered a Gio-Ibanez RG. I don't need another guitar, especially a super entry level one, but technically I think it's a higher value (especially if it's like-new whereas my pickups are ripped out of a guitar).

Would you do it? I'm sort of looking at it as, I'll either have a guitar I'll never play, or will need to spend the time and effort to re-sell the higher value item and I probably value the time more than the money in this case.

2. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

In your case I think I would accept the offer.
    Maybe can easy become a heavely modded Gio-Ibanez or just a guitar for experimenting pickups or other stuff.
    If you're not using the Blackouts and they're just collecting dust, I think it's a reasonable deal.
    I'm also trying to sell a pair of Blackouts but the only trades I've been offered were cables and a whammy pedal.

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I suppose another option would be to clean up the Gio and give it to my nephew who's just learning how to play.

Edika, odibrom and cwhitey2 like this.
  4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

What do used Gio's go for? $80 USD, maybe? I mean, we are talking about a guitar that sells for dirt cheap brand new (what $120-150 USD?).

Actually, I just did a quick google search and, yeah: https://www.musicgoroundlincoln.com...UiZdgLhyqOn5Yx0sPe8CegkcxBrsj08waAmopEALw_wcB $80 USD for that particular model

What were you expecting to get for your Blackouts?! I think $80 USD would be a little low-ball, but not unreasonably so.

If it were up to me, I'd pass on the deal. Something of greater value for which I had absolutely no use, I would consider, if I thought I could sell the other item more easily than the original item, but, in your case, I'd seriously question the value equation here.

Dcm81, Edika and odibrom like this.
  5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

You might be right - used prices are super hard to figure out in this area, so I was basing my judgement partially on the "new" value of each. Used entry level guitars usually are about $100 CAD, and that's around what I was expecting for the blackouts. The Gio would price out at about $100 more if you compare the new-in-store values, depending on where you got it from.

I was also thinking just from a practicality standpoint, the blackouts have no value to me since I can't noodle with them and I'll never use them. But a gio I could use as a beater to leave at the office or something. Or give to my nephew. Or resell. It has a practical value that unwanted pickups don't have. I'm not suuuuuuuper concerned with the money value otherwise I wouldn't have considered trades at all.

6. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I'd keep the blackouts and sell them for cash when you can. The values are about equal, and the blackouts take up less space on a shelf.

Unless you want to give it to your nephew. That would be pretty rad.

Spaced Out Ace and odibrom like this.
  7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Also, I've received zero cash offers, lol. The market in this area isn't phenomenal.

8. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Even though I wouldn't want to put a guitar on Reverb, on account of that I don't want to buy a box for it or go hunting for boxes, and packing and being nervous that it will get damaged by carrier, high freight cost, etc...

But a pickup? That's a pretty easy one. Tiny box. Not easily damaged. I bet selling pickups online is real real simple. Though I've never done it.

9. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

Either of these imo.
    Reverb has treated me fantastically. The fees are a bit steep but it's a set-it-and-forget-it sales process.
    And yes, giving your nephew a guitar would be rad. I learned on one of those cheap Gio Ibanezes, they're great first guitars.

10. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Especially if you do a nice setup on it first. Huge help for a noob.

11. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I would decline the offer and try to sell the pickups online :2c: the nephew option is good too :yesway:

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I honestly have no interest in dealing with shipping or anything like that, and some part of my brain keeps me from paying to put up ads for something. If it were a more expensive item, or I was more desperate for the money, maybe. Seems like a lot of hassle, and I'm lazy.

13. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Counter the offer and say the Gio + $20 or something.

14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

selling pickups is relatively painless, provided someone actually buys them and you don't end up sitting on a pile of cheap pickups like I am right now :lol:

Edika likes this.
  15. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

Very easy. I've sold loads on ebay.

16. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

If his wad worth more and an easy sell he would have already sold it, bought your item and pocketed the difference... :2c:

17. DarthV

DarthV SS.org Regular

Unless you think you can flip the other gear, why do it? Then again, for something relatively inexpensive like those pickups, I'd definitely do the deal to hand the GIO over to your nephew.

18. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Yeah, I'd stick with the Blackouts.

19. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I'd agree keeping the Blackouts unless you go the nephew route or decide to use it as a beater guitar. I find it more frustrating and stressing to sell guitars than pickups and as mentioned pickups don't take up too much space.

But man if you get the guitar, clean it up and give it to your nephew you'll be the best uncle ever lol. My nephew wanted to start piano but his family couldn't afford to get him one, as the teacher was telling them to either get a real one or a digital piano with weighted keys. I found a Casio CDP-130 for a great price and with shipping to another country it still was a better deal than buying new. When he received it you can't imagine how happy he was. He's been playing for a year now and he loves it. He's super motivated and has made a tremendous progress for one year of playing. You can imagine how great this makes me and my wife feel about it.

20. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I ended up keeping the blackouts for now - mostly cause I'd rather hold out for the cash. The nephew has a guitar, and a Gio wouldn't be an improvement. I've got enough beater guitars that I'd probably not use it. Also, some random expenses came up, and while I'm not broke, the money is more appealing right now.

I appreciate the input. :yesway:

lurè likes this.