Tracked Down a Guitar That I've Been After - No Way to Contact the Owner - Help?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Emperor Guillotine, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Weird situation. I've been tracking down a one-off custom guitar for a bit and finally managed to find it's current owner (or whom I believe to be the current owner) via stumbling upon a random YouTube video. I sent a message on YouTube to the individual regarding the guitar, but his account seems to be inactive/defunct, so I am certain that he won't check the account. I searched his YouTube username just to see if he used it anywhere else on the Internet and found an old inactive/defunct Twitter account where I was able to procure his first name and his city. (At least I'm just going off that for now.)

Now, the problem is: I have no other way to contact the individual.

Anyone got any advice on what to do or how to track down the individual and contact him? Maybe get like an email or Facebook or something?

(The troubles we go through for gear.)

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

3. Emperor Guillotine

I see what you're saying, Max. Sometimes it's just hard to give up on something that you've been after for awhile, ya know, especially since this is the first I have seen of it since it left the original owner's/artist's hands - a random YouTube video that I bychance stumbled upon.

4. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

you're getting into /b/ territory there.

maybe he chased it down from the original owner b/c he just had to have it.

5. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man Contributor

Well, what you did was about the modern day equivalent of looking somebody up in the phone book, so I don't think it's so bad. Anything more, though, might be pushing it. The only reason I'd say you are stretching it in this case is because you don't have any reason to suspect that the guitar you want is for sale at all. In other words, if you knew it was for sale and you sought out a way to contact the guy, that would be reasonable, but looking him up to ask him about buying one of his possessions that he hasn't listed for sale is another story. I think you might just have to cross your fingers and hope it pops up for sale in the future.

6. Emperor Guillotine

I see what you're saying, Adam. Good point. I mean, it's the Internet and all this info is out there and accessible by the public anyway which I guess was/is my thought process. I'm just worried that if the guitar changes hands again, I might lose track of it.

One thing I must note is that in the past month, I have have had a few instances (4 or 5, I think) where I have contacted guys online (on Facebook and forums) and I would ask them something along the lines of: "hey, do you still have the *insert name of guitar here*", and if they replied with a "yes", then I would message them and politely ask if they would consider a possible sale. (Usually, the response I've gotten was something along the lines of: "yeah man, I just don't play it much anymore" or "I could always use the cash".) Every instance has ended with a successful sale, except for one where I backed out because the guitar I was looking at was damaged. My point is: you never know until you ask. It just depends on how you go about asking, and always remember to be polite.

I guess you're right. But I'm not sure if it will pop up for sale or if I'd be able to find it again if it did pop up by some happenstance.

But I see what Kindred is saying too. I guess I'm considering being done with this pursuit for the time being. Obsession is a young man's game.

7. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

If you don't send 600 emails about it, then you should be fine. Otherwise, that's just creepy...

[​IMG]

:lol:

8. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

^ LOL (´・ω・`) I forgot about that dude

9. Emperor Guillotine

Haha. Naw man. Just sent one message on the inactive/defunct YouTube and one message on the inactive/defunct Twitter.

On Google now searching up: the Denko story.

10. Humbuck

Humbuck SS.org Regular

People have been trying to track people down to make offers on particular have-to-have guitars (or cars, or guns, etc.) for decades.

11. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

Yea. All you guys saying its creepy are f'ed up. Nothing creepy about it. I cant tell you how many times my old man had a guy come to the door or stop us while driving to ask if his car was for sale.

And you know what I thought? I sure as hell didnt think it was creepy. I just figured if the guy had enough money and was serious, he might actually talk my old man into selling it.

But some people are way to pussified PC.

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  12. Noxon

Noxon Is a Lurker

I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to find the guy. Like 7 Strings of Hate said, my dad had a '55 Chevy truck that was bad ass, and there would be someone knocking on our door almost every weekend. People would make offers in the grocery store parking lot all the time too. It wasn't weird to me... That said I wouldn't randomly knock on this dude's door, but an email or FB message wouldn't hurt IMO if you manage to find the info. Out of curiosity, what is the guitar that's worth all the trouble?

13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I don't think it's so much the offer to purchase that's creepy, it's having someone "tracking you down". It's one thing if you've just happened to encounter someone and offer to buy their junk, but spending significant amounts of time trying to figure out where a person is, or how to contact them, etc... It's not wrong per se, but I get why some people would be uncomfortable with it.

14. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

Tracking down? The guy put a damn video on youtube. I'm pretty sure the situation is exactly like the senerio you mentioned of a chance encounter.
    Dude puts up a video on youtube to be publicly viewed. If the dude is uncomfortable, maybe he shouldnt post a video to the biggest video website in the world :lol:

15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Yes:

16. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

:coffee:

17. Emperor Guillotine

^ To answer you guys here (7 Strings of Hate and Noxon), I actually have people stop me ALL THE TIME at gas stations or in the parking lots at grocery stores to take looks at my limited edition '91 Honda Civic Si hatchback and ask a few questions about it or have me pop the hood. People will even pull up next to me at a red light and yell out the window: "I love your car" or "Hey man, nice car!" I've taken good care of that thing and collectors (especially the younger Honda guys) love how clean it is.

It's a black First Act Custom Shop Lola DC6 that was commissioned for and owned by Tom Searle of Architects. (This was before the First Act Custom Shop closed down and Tom got a deal with ESP. Now he is with Mayones.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By another complete accident, I stumbled upon the current owner of Tom's other First Act custom axe (a sunburst Lola) by searching around for some First Act stuff to add to my arsenal. The guy who owns the sunburst Lola agreed to sell to me. I'd like to have both guitars to make "the set", I guess. (Vanity?) And I would LOVE to be able to play both axes live.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:coffee:

18. asher

asher So Did We

They're definitely both hot guitars, so at least you're pursuing something worth pursuing :lol:

19. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Psycho, dont engage

To each his own. I find them hideous. Nothing wrong with trying, tho

20. Noxon

Noxon Is a Lurker

I kinda dig the sunburst one. The black one reminds me of a 70s model Yamaha. Anyway, good luck with the search, man. I hope it works out for you. It's worth a shot to try IMO.