Tosin Abasi Fluence sig set

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by narad, Jan 9, 2017.

1. frank falbo

frank falbo SS.org Regular

I like the black, but its only because I would like the white IF the hardware was chrome and the knobs were white. That's a greater looking paint job either way though.

2. juka

juka SS.org Regular

Remember, you were asking for it ;-)
    I contacted Fishman support about wiring diagrams twice and it was always the copy&paste answer "ask a qualified guitar repairman". :wallbash:
    It's not that I couldn't figure it out on my own in the end as over 30 years setting up and modifying my own guitars made me pretty "qualified", it's just the fact that when you contact EMG they offer you tons of wiring diagrams and with DiMarzio I even received wiring diagrams drawn by Steve Blucher himself for my specific needs several times. :bowdown:

Don't get me wrong I like my Fishman Fluence, but support wise they still have a long way to go. Premium prices require premium support, too :cool:

3. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

The Fluence PUs are wired like any other 2-wire HB. The additional switching features for sound shaping are shown in the diagrams on the Fishman website.

4. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

If Fishman really wanted people's money, they would be putting out passive-sized 8-string pickups and offer a passive-sized option for 7-string/8-string sets like the Tosin Abasi signature set. Just saying. It sucks that I cannot try their pickups because of my choice in guitar (which does not have soapbar routing) being the one thing that is prohibiting me. And I'm not going to cut into the thing just to test out pickups to determine if I like them or not.

5. frank falbo

It's the same as with Duncan. I pushed hard for passive sized 7 string right out of the gate. I had the passive sized 7 blackouts available from day one. Then maybe 5 years later EMG did it? It's a tooling expense that has to be justified, and I justified it.

So with Fishman, I had the same conversations. And without sharing any confidential information I was able to tell them "In my opinion, it is very important to have passive sized 7's on day one." That, plus the proverbial wink and nod were enough.

Passive sized 7's have over 25 years of install base, back to the UV's and 540S7. The 8 string revolution has more soapbars in it per capita, AND is a much smaller market. That doesn't mean we won't do it, just that you have to set an order of priority, and honestly tooling for passive sized 8's will never pay back on paper, we will have just done it because we want to provide for you guys.

On to the Tosin set: I can't remember if I broke it down like this yet, forgive me if I'm repeating. The Tosin neck pickup has a totally different and unique magnetic circuit. The neck-side coil, the one he splits to when on neck-only, is the one he says "can we get this Tele neck tone?" And of course I said yeah. So it has 6/7/8 individual Alnico pole pieces in the neck-side coil, and the other coil has the other Alnico bar magnet is vertical inside the bridge-side coil. Then there's nothing connecting the two across the bottom. It's a more open sound as a humbucker, and he uses the other bar coil when combining with the bridge for that in-between tone. ALL THIS TO SAY...we needed some extra tooling to get all that to fit (along with three voices) into the housing. It's physically different than all the rest. Therein lies the delayed release of the passive sized Tosin pickup.

As for wiring diagram issues, Duncan used to sometimes take the time to draw out custom diagrams, and sometimes they'd recommend a tech instead. But they also had libraries of diagrams made over a period of decades. The one fundamental understanding that should help with Fluence is that the Hot/ground/battery is the same as any other active pickup. The other switching options are pretty much all done internally and all you have to do is take that wire to ground to make it happen, which you can do any way you like. Automatic on a superswitch, or on a push/pull, mini toggle, whatevs. But I hear you two guys and it will be part of continuous improvement.

setsuna7 likes this.
  6. Silence2-38554

Silence2-38554 SS.org Regular

Just wanted to point out a bit of confusion in the Tosin set's install guide. On page 2, it states Voice 2 is the default & to pull for Voice 1. But then if you go to the diagram it's referring to on page 5, it states the opposite (pull for humbucker voice 2), implying that Voice 1 is the default.

Please clarify

7. frank falbo

Thank you. I'll check to see when I get the chance. But usually what we do is provide a standard wiring diagram, like the normal way to wire them. Then, we provide the artist's own chosen way to wire them. Like in Devin's case it's one switch that toggles V1, V2, then V2 single coil. But if I were putting it in my guitar I would just have a separate coil split switch, and Voice switch.

In Tosin's case I believe he prefers Voice 2 as the default Voice when the push pull is down. So it's possible that what you're seeing is the difference between the standard diagram and Tosin's diagram. But I'll check.

It's user's choice anyway, solely dependent upon which pins you put the Voice and the ground wire on the push pull.

Edit: It seems correct to me. On the first diagram the Voice wires are on the other side of the push pull.
    https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/..._r0-Tosin-Abasi-Install-Guide-Fluence-WEB.pdf

8. Silence2-38554

Silence2-38554 SS.org Regular

Yep, you're totally right. The wording of

"1. Plan the installation. We’ve included a wiring diagram from Tosin’s signature Ibanez guitar along with two additional diagrams."

made it sound like Tosin's diagram was listed first. It is cool to know that the only thing that needs to be changed to determine which voice is default is the position of the orange & green wires on the push/pull.

Reading the fine print at the upper left of each diagram clears things up. Thanks!

On another note, can you say if / when we can expect metal cover finish options for the soapbars? I would LOVE a 7 string set of these in the black nickel finish!!

9. congalocke

congalocke SS.org Regular

Frank,
    Is there any chance for a seven string Devin Townsend sig pickup coming out? Just wanted to say how exciting it is what you guyz are doing. The pickups sound awesomes!!!

10. Glades

Glades SS.org Regular

I am currently enjoying my EMGs. When Fishman decides to come down from the fart cloud they live on and tend to their customers, I'll try their product.

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Wait a second. After a solid decade of people bitching about EMG only making seven string pickups in an existing "soapbar" bass pickup housing, people are now complaing that Fishman is only making "normal" sized seven string humbuckers?

Good lord. What have we come to? :lol:

12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

^this.

13. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

^ Not really. EMG didn't have an established active pickup company to dethrone, their obstruction back in the day to being used by more 7-string guitarists was that they did not offer passive routes. For Fishman Fluence to dominate the active market, which imho should be the easier market to target, they need to offer soapbar format, if only to replace all those terrible 81-7's in the wild.

For a company coming this late to the game, I don't think Fishman can afford offering pickups for certain routes but not the others. They have to offer at least 6, 7 string versions, as well as passive/soapbar route options, on all their lineup.

14. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Super bummed right now. The KSE set isn't going to be available in seven-string is it?

15. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    Blytheryn likes this.
  16. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

17. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Nooo way. There's gotta be something off there.

Blytheryn likes this.
  18. NosralTserrof

NosralTserrof SS.org Regular

19. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

One pair of Fishmans or almost 2-3 sets of Duncans? Yeah, something's wrong there unless these pickups are straight up unobtainium.

20. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    I'm guessing those prices are RRP so in reality they may end up 10-20% cheaper once they hit stores but the standard Fishman pickups sell for £270-290 a pair and seven string sets around £300-320 anyway so I think they're probably right.