Tosin Abasi Fluence sig set

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by narad, Jan 9, 2017.

1. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Guess it's about that time everyone's starting to leak their NAMM stuff. Here's Tosin's new Fluence sig set:

[YOUTUBEVID]LVbjhXJ1WeI[/YOUTUBEVID]

Interesting how he talks about voicing them in real time, which I imagine, given the active architecture, simply means them tweaking the active EQ. But if that's the case, I feel like Fishman still hasn't hit on what would really be revolutionary here, which is user-changeable pickup preamps. I don't understand why they're fixed 1-3 options from the factory?

2. odibrom

odibrom .

These pickups (the Fluence series) are printed, not wound as all other brands (active or passive) do. Just because of that they bring something new and fresh.

3. CapnForsaggio

CapnForsaggio Cap'n (general)

Tell me more. How are they "printing" conductive parts and insulation?

4. posmaster

posmaster SS.org Regular

PCBs rather than wire winds.

5. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Besides greater consistency, I can't say I see what perks that brings to the table.

6. posmaster

posmaster SS.org Regular

I would suggest listening through the Luthierist podcast where Frank Falbo discusses the benefits thereof:

https://theluthierist.podbean.com/e/frank-falbo/

7. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

Sounds interesting but would be nice to actually hear them. I think Killswitch have a sig set being unveiled at NAMM too.

8. narad

narad SS.org Regular

9. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Are Fishman pickups the newest meme gear?

10. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Also, weird that the only audio in the whole clip sounds a lot like the studio cut using not Fishman Fluence pickups?

11. odibrom

odibrom .

As far as I know, Fishman is printing them with 3D printers that print metal filaments. They say they get exactly what they project and no crosstalk between wire layers or whatever. Absolutely noiseless, but they are low impedance (less "wire turns") so they need a preamp. They layer several printed PCBs and a coil is born. More on this is a Google search away or on Fishman website. This promo vid also shows a little how they are built...

http://www.fishman.com/products/series/fluence/

12. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

Ken Susi is getting everyone on board

13. You

You รพ

These pickups are quite interesting, yet, in spite of a plethora of artists promoting them (Stephan Carpenter, Ken Susi, Devin Townsend, esc.) they do not appear to be embraced by the greater public very well.

14. BearOnGuitar

BearOnGuitar SS.org Regular

Outstanding massive sound, increased clarity, increased note separation with chords (every note can be heard when playing complex chords even under the highest amounts of gain), improved dynamics compared to other actives, fluid and silky feel (hard to explain, needs to be experienced), fully buffered output, dual voicings, coil split and high freq tilt options. Nothing else compares imo.

15. Lemons

Lemons SS.org Regular

Well that does it, I've been looking for a set of active soapbar sized 8 string pickups and I'm a little too much of a Tosin fan boy to not try these out when they're released.

16. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Everyone does seem to love them but, I just don't think anything is going to win over players that don't want to deal with batteries or recharging.

Don't Alumitones (which are passive) already offer most of what Fluence pickups do? A totally noiseless, extremely clear, dynamic full range response?

17. Lasik124

Lasik124 SS.org Regular

Boo!

Give us a demo!

Anyway, these pups seem cool. Will have to give em a shot at some point.

Tosin seemed pretty stoked. Wonder if it genuine.

Fishman appears to be on a misson to get new artists. Even my boy Head from Korn has one in his new sig. Would love to see if they live up the hype!

18. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

I'm sure it is since he has gotten multiple custom sets from dimarzio and Seymour Duncan, maybe even BKPs.

19. narad

narad SS.org Regular

I think they're probably pretty good pickups but this is just the same description everyone applies to their pickups and there's no reason to think teh pickup construction method would yield any of these characteristics. I'll take consistency and lack of cross-talk, since they're the ones mentioned so far that follow specifically from ditching a wire wrapping construction method.

20. BearOnGuitar

BearOnGuitar SS.org Regular

If it's not the technology and construction methods that provide their pickups their sound and characteristics, what else does? I mean their sound doesn't exist by pure chance. It a significant advancement of the technology and knowledge behind it that is used to create guitar pickups.

The reason people say the same about them is because these qualities and characteristics are very easy to perceive, it's not a subtle difference. I'm just saying there's a reason why people are switching over and are that excited about the Fluence line.