Too much GREAT news for one thread (Part 1 of 2): Guitar Competition Entry

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nojyeloot, Oct 10, 2011.

1. nojyeloot

nojyeloot SS.org Regular

Crazy good week. Read below (and the/my next thread) for a cool story:

Saturday, September 3rd: I found out that Oh, Sleeper was having a guitar tablature/cover contest for their new album's title track "Children of Fire". Rules were to submit a video response to the below video and the person with the best performed and best put together video would win. I was filling in on guitar for an opening band (Bear Witness) that following week for the Frak The Gods tour on 9/8, so I didn't think much of it, especially since it was getting close to my wife's due date for our 2nd boy.

Saturday, September 10th: Well, having played the aforementioned show, I decided to give it a shot. I didn't have much time to practice with my wife being 9 months pregnant, and due the week the contest ends, so I took my axe to work to practice the arpeggios during my lunch hour, using a free metronome app on my Samsung Focus :lol:. Thank the Lord for my wife, she is absolutely awesome for urging me to do it. Those of you that have had kids, know that that last month is when you become quite UNavailable.

First prize gets a Jackson Warrior (I think it's a WRXT, judging by the vid, but not sure). :yum:
    [​IMG]

Saturday September 24th: Time was getting short, and only had a small opportunity to track/record so I had to do it this day, which was three days before the competition was over.

I had to gear up to stand a chance, so, I borrowed my buddy's AxeFx Ultra (tweaked a cool DAS METAL patch), borrowed a Nikon D7000, borrowed an old Jackson JS-1 w/ EMGs, and downloaded a free trial of Sony Vegas Pro 10.

During tracking, on a whim, I decided to learn the bass part too. Glad I did.

And then I made this video:

Tuesday, September 27th: Competition has ended, though a couple dudes were allowed to enter their vids late. And now the waiting begins...

Thursday, September 29th: The NIGHT before we go in for a scheduled C-section, I get notification to look @ Oh, Sleeper's fb status update. Here's what it said:
    [​IMG]

:cool: Stay tuned for PART 2...

MFB, Randy, FYP666 and 8 others like this.
  2. nojyeloot

nojyeloot SS.org Regular

3. Sofos

Sofos СофоƆ

epic congratulations on everything man! kick ass guitar, and your son is adorable!

4. nojyeloot

nojyeloot SS.org Regular

Thanks man ;).

I can't get over the pure excellence of your avatar btw :lol:

5. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

Congratulations are most definitely in order, good sir! :)

6. Wookieslayer

Wookieslayer OOOAAARWWWRR

7. Prydogga

Prydogga Giddyup.

Holy shit dude, congrats! I can't even put it into words how much of a congratulations you deserve. So... uh...

:sharpie:

:agreed:

8. mattofvengeance

mattofvengeance Team Ibanez

Congrats, bro! None of this could have happened to a more awesome dude. :D

9. JP Universe

JP Universe Giggity

Congrats!