Tone - How do I make it sound tighter?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by zultone, Nov 13, 2006.

1. zultone

zultone SS.org Regular

So, I've been trying to tighten up my sound so it's not-so-mushy/sludgy. It's alright at the moment, I'd just like it to be more tight.
    What can I do to tighten it up?

www.soundclick.com/thezultones 1_v_1 has the 2 tones I use for stuff.

2. Shaman

Shaman SS.org Regular

What amp do you use? If you use a tube amp, you should use an overdrive pedal with the gain/drive at 0. It will tighten up the tone. A TubeScreamer is pretty much the industry standard.

Remember to pan your guitar tracks left and right! That also helps a lot.

Well, I just listened to them, and I am pretty sure that they were recorded with a POD or similar? Maybe you should use an EQ pedal between your guitar and the gear you're using to cut some of the bass from the guitar. You can always add more from the other gear you're using.

3. Dylan7620

Dylan7620 that guy

i noticed on your gear page you listed a peavey rage 158 for amps, and a peavey bandit (not very knowledgable on those but assume they sound pretty similar, much like a big rage)

i've owned a rage 158 for about 8 years, it was my first amp. i still have it. i go back to it now and again, just to see what it can do. i've never been real impressed with it, and the last time was no exception. IMO theres not much you can do make them THAT much better. i don't think they will ever sound as tight or professional as you want:(

4. zultone

zultone SS.org Regular

I use a Behringer V-amp into my bass amp, 'cause the bass amp has this nifty shape filter thing. I'll have to try panning the guitars. Thanks for the tips