Tom Ashbrook suspended over misconduct allegations

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by bostjan, Dec 11, 2017.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

2. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

If you start a new thread for every sexual misconduct report this week, you are going to strain your typing fingers. Three former NFL players (including McNabb and Faulk) are under investigation as of this morning...

3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

True.

I listen to a lot of NPR, so this one was on my radar, also, the people reporting and talk-show-discussing sexual harrassment allegations facing sexual harrassment allegations of their own is sort of weird, IMO.

And while most of these allegations against movie stars, producers, NFL players, etc., are descriptive, so far, the ones against NPR people have been extremely vague. I'm all for vagueness, but if you're going to call someone out publicly for something, you should at least say what it is.

We already saw Garrisson Keillor's decades-long career very publicly torched over patting someone on the back, and now Ashbrook is going down over "creepy sex talk." Maybe these things are pretty bad, but with no specifics, I think it makes NPR look pretty stupid in the short term.

ArtDecade likes this.
  4. sezna

sezna undermotivated

I agree. If they are going to subvert due process with public accusation, it better be specific accusation. Otherwise, if you’d rather be discreet, settle it in a more private manner.

This whole thing just has the potential to become a witch hunt with anyone accused being presumed guilty. Without an admission or more pointed accusation, we stray further down this path.

5. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

My guess is that they are not subverting due process. It appears that a lot of the accused are going down with barely a whimper probably means that there was an internal investigation and they know where they stand. Otherwise, you would hear about them "lawyer-ing up" and getting ready to sue the daylights out of NPR for breach of contract, etc. Of course, that is just a guess on my part.

KnightBrolaire and sezna like this.