To those practicing with method books/DVDs

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Santuzzo, Feb 24, 2017.

how do you work with different instrucional methods?

1. I work through one method (book, DVD, etc) at a time from page to page

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. I work on several methods at the same time, picking what interests me, might skip sections

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. I don't use any methods in particular, I just practice what I come up myself with

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. what is practicing?!?! (none of the above)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Hi,

just out of curiosity I started this poll on practicing with methods, be it books, DVDs or digital/online courses.

I personally used to try to work through one method (usually a book) complete before starting to work with another book and or DVD.
    But lately I find myself working on several different books,DVDs simultaneously, not in a manner where I try to work through a method from page to page completely, but just picking materials I find interesting at the point or stuff that I think would benefit me.
    So, I might pick a few licks or exercises out of one book and a few other licks or exercises out of another book/DVD.

How do you guys practice with methods?

cheers,
    Lars

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I started out with a beginner method book, went on to several intermediate method books and videos, then went back to one book or video at a time as new and interesting material got more scarce.

I really don't think that there is a wrong way to learn, as long as things are progressing. But, I would say that whether you are digesting one thing at a time or several things at a time is probably related to your level. Beginners will be taking in a lot of new information, intermediate players will be branching out into different genres and styles, and advanced players/professionals will probably be narrowed in on a set "bag of technique tricks," with the basic brush strokes already fully developed into his or her own personal style, so learning at that point will likely be focused into short bursts.

Some players, and don't get me wrong- because I'm not knocking them, learn how to do things really well without learning how to communicate with other musicians, then, get themselves into situations where they simply must learn to communicate. In those cases, I'd say some music theory ends up getting built up from a rather basic level with some really advanced players. That might be one of many counter-examples to the paradigm I described above. Personally, I went through basic music theory and basic techniques at the same time, since I learned from the Hal Leonard method initially. After finishing Book 2, I started various other method books- some were heavy on theory, others were heavy on technique development, but Hal Leonard seemed pretty balanced.

3. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

My apologies for the typo in the poll ('instrucion' as opposed to 'instructional')
    I can't see editing options for editing the poll itself, so my request to any mod reading this would be to please correct that typo for me.