To swap or not to swap (6 string pickup talk)

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by MatiasTolkki, Feb 11, 2018.

1. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

I've been working on some mods on some of my guitars (cheap stuff, replacing strap pins to Dunlop locking straps, there's a reason for the dunlops so dont go crazy), and I've been considering some pup changes. So here are the pups I have on hand right now:

Ibanez V1/V2 (taken from an old Genesis Collection RG)
    Dimarzio Evo 3 pup set (including single), Evo 2
    Carvin M22SD/AP11/M22V set (bought before they discontinued them).

I also have a couple S1s (middle, neck) from my old RG560 that I swapped out a long time ago.

Here are the patients I'm considering for surgery:

RGR580DW (Currently has Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell, FS1 (iirc) and Super Distortion)
    RG550RF (currently has stock V7/S1/V8).

Now here's the dilemma:

I'm really liking the stock V7/V8s on the RG550. The V7 is a tiny bit shrill because of the ceramic magnet but I dont actively hate it (Humbucker from hell, now THAT pickup I hate), so I am still unsure if I really wanna change the pups on this one out.

The 580 is in definite need of change. The SD is nice, but I really hate the HfH but I dont wanna just drop a lone evo into the neck without replacing the others as well. Also, since the SD is so close tonally to the carvin pups I have in my JB200 and V220 (M22SD>Dimarzio SD imo, but tonally quite similar) I wouldnt mind changing it out necessarily, even though I get some nice tones with it.

I actually bought the Carvin pups to test them in a mahogany body, and my 580 gives me just that, but due to my kinda falling out of love with Kiesel as a brand, I have kinda sat on this idea for some time. Also, I sold my 580PL to my good friend because he was looking for some very specific things from an ibanez, I had to take out the Evos to keep them.

So after reading this long essay, does anyone have any advice for me? What should I do about this dilemma? I've been mulling it over forever and can't decide so any help would be appreciated :)

2. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

If you like the Carvin pups put them in the guitar. I don't think the clownery that Jeff Kiesel is doing should affect your enjoyment of their instrument and products. But even if that's the case this pups were designed during the Carvin days so they're from a good era of the company.

Curt, MatiasTolkki and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  3. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

the carvin m22sd and 22v are my bread and butter. they are my go tos for everything tonally. the closest I've come to tonally is the dimarzio SD in the bridge (of course!) and the duncan sentient in the neck.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  4. Curt

Curt SS.org Regular

Definitely put the M22sd/v in the 580 and leave the 550 as stock

MatiasTolkki likes this.