Titanfall

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Svava, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Svava

Svava Djento ergo sum

Who else is preloaded and ready to have some Mountain Dew/Hot Pocket fueled next level mom's basement FPS pwnage!?

3 more hours xD

2. Mordacain

Mordacain 1-watt brigadier

I would be if I wasn't in the middle of packing up my household to move cross country. Hoping I can still get the XB1 bundle in another few weeks when I can actually sit down and play it.

3. Svava

Svava Djento ergo sum

I will pwn some nubz for you my friend.

:hbang:

4. Svava

Svava Djento ergo sum

Good game, ton of fun.

Not worth the price.

Already returned my copy.

Back to GASing....

5. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

So I'm curious as my XBO is incoming today and I opted for that Titanfall bundle as I think the game looked like it could be some mindless multiplayer fun... what didn't you like about it exactly that you feel makes it "not worth the price"? Just repetitive or something else? They have a season pass out for it already (they said they planned for some free and some paid DLC, no micro-transactions, FWIW) so I'm guessing there should be a decent amount of new content for it too. Just wondering why you would return it 2 hours into the day it was released, I was excited to play this one and had watched a few beta play-through vids and it looked like a ton of fun (even more-so if you have friends playing it too) so I'd love to know if it's destined to be a flop as if so, I'd just as soon send the XBO back and hold out until Destiny and a few others drop. :lol:

6. Mike

Mike The Traveler Contributor

Aren't you all nubz....considering no one has really played it yet?

7. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch SS.org Regular

I just want to know why he didn't like it when everyone is declaring that it's awesome.

8. Mike

Mike The Traveler Contributor

And how'd you return it? Doesn't every game retailer have a no returns policy after you break the seal on any digital media?

9. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

On one hand, the guys at Penny-Arcade seemed to absolutely love it, so I'll be paying attention to that. They generally don't stear people wrong.

On the other hand (and in relation to this post), apparently the amount of real content that ships with the game is really sparse. Additionally, apparently Angry Joe tried to interview some folks at Respawn to get some answers as to exactly how much additional content they planned to release post-launch. He got completely stonewalled, couldn't get any real answers out of them.

10. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

I forgot this was going to be an important part of my day today... Damn I have so much to do now... :lol:

11. Choop

Choop n______n

Metacritic user score so far is 5.9. I dunno. There has to be some justification.

TBH there are a few reasons why I'm not super interested in it, despite its praise, but I'd like to play it at a friend's or something before passing real judgement.

12. Cheap Poison

Cheap Poison SS.org Regular

Well they are the Cod people!
    I am sure there will be tons! and behind a paywall!

Seems like a fine game but there are plenty of things to hold against it.

13. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I believe Gamestop has a policy where you can bring it back within a certain amount of time, but it's like, a couple days at most. I know my work has a policy where if it's open the only thing you can do is exchange it for a new copy of the same exact game but on a different system if you'd like. Other than that and it's S. O. L.

14. Svava

Svava Djento ergo sum

Well the easy question I saw asked a few times : I returned it through Origin's "Great Game Guarantee". I just told them on the little survey that It wasn't fun enough and I got my money back.

There's nothing wrong with the game first off. It's excellent, the gunplay is great and the movement system is extremely novel- like a mix between COD and Mirror's Edge- totally intuitive and fluid.

The gameplay is straightforward, but WORLDS better than COD to me. COD for me was boring unless I was getting a good streak going or playing with lots of friends, but with Titanfall you feel like you're doing pretty good even when you're sucking- there's so many different things to do and ways to play it's great.

But I had played the Beta and REALLY loved it, the two Beta maps were a ton of fun.

A few things disappointed me about the actual game.

1) They gate certain things behind this "campaign mode". It's an okay idea but... I completed the entire freaking campaign mode (one side anyway) without even knowing what the plot was. There were maybe 2 cutscenes and a bunch of negligible voice acting alongside routine multiplayer matches. I felt sort of jerked around by that. Honestly it felt like a total afterthought that they added in to help justify the pricetag (which i don't think they needed to do- the base game is excellent).

2) Maybe I'm just spoiled by COD but the gun variety and customization was just hugely lacking. The same thing goes for overall player and titan customization. It doesn't need to be as extreme as it is in COD but I really think they could have done more.

3) This is probably the biggest thing for me. It's a great game that I only have a few minor gripes with, but I do not enjoy the look of most of the maps. I loved Angel City (Fking incredible map design) and was okay with the other Beta map, but the rest of them... I just disagree with the aesthetic IDK how to describe it. I don't like looking at them xD. It's not like they're badly designed- there's no way in hell that's true- they're excellent. But I just don't like the color schemes very much and since that's pretty much what you'll be looking at most of the time while playing the game it's a fairly big thing.

4) It does get repetitive. The game modes are really standard fair- the thing that makes that okay is that the combat is incredible. Like I jumped off of a wall and kicked someone out of midair... there's all sorts of sick stuff like that. However, the novelty sort of wore off for me.

5) There are only 3 titans and they're basically the same thing. They're fun but after a few titanfalls I stopped using the titans and just let them auto around. The movement system is WAY cooler than them :p. In DLC or a sequel I think they NEED to allow more visual customization of the titans and make them play more differently from eachother. I think the titans themselves were definitely somewhat lackluster.

Overall It is an exceptional game I do think it deserves a high score. But for me the cash could go towards more guitar gear and my fiance doesn't LOVE video games so... I generally only irk her by playing them If I really love them (most of the time this is MMO's). It's worth the price for sure, it just isn't worth it to me personally.

If you are planning on playing it, don't change your plans. I really think most people will love it. Heck- I really like it myself. It's just not something I'm going to stay addicted to throughout the course of several DLC's.

I am looking forward to a sequel though. If they made different modes with various AI Difficulty levels, maybe a horde mode, more customization options and more weapon and titan variety I could probably get really into it.

I hope I didn't annoy anyone with my opinion- I know it won't be a popular one. Who knows, in a few months I may end up buying it again and eating my words :p

But for now I'm content to experience this game vicariously through twitch and youtube!

Cloudy likes this.
  15. Svava

Svava Djento ergo sum

The launch content is very sparse- that's just 100% true.

If you LOVE the gunplay and the experience then you'll like the game, but if you need a variety of things to do and see you will not be playing this for long.

I feel like I experienced the gamut of what this game has to offer during the beta and the few hours I spent with it...

Definitely a big complaint there too...

16. F1Filter

F1Filter Contributor

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  17. Webmaestro

Webmaestro Ibanez Fanatic Contributor

Co-worker just told me about this. May give it a try if I have time.

18. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Still can't log in at 9pm EST. :( Not like I was excited to finally use my XBO or anything.... :lol: Maybe tomorrow I guess... :wallbash:

19. F1Filter

F1Filter Contributor

Approx 5 hours in. Still getting error 0x8004804E here.

Well this is turning into a bit of a PR disaster. Everything was working so well during the SXSW event :lol:

20. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Yeah bit of a bummer... spend $500 on the console bundle, can't even get online to download the damn game!!! :rofl: Curious to see if MS does anything to make up for this or if they're just going to shrug their shoulders and go "shit happens, sorry... :shrug:" as while I understand hosting can be a little wonky on major release days when their servers are getting hit hardest, but someone as big as MICROSOFT should be able to handle their own XBL traffic! :lol:

Ah well, I was able to get in this morning at ~4:45am EST and got my Live account reconnected and kicked off my Titanfall download, hopefully when I get home I can actually play it. Sadly, I was already feeling kinda sick for the last week or so, and I was actually tempted to just say eff it and take the sick day, but I might need it later this week if I have to go see my surgeon (she's only at the main office two days a week, and that's where all the real equipment is located :() so that scratched that idea rather quickly. :flame:

Btw - Since it would be great to game with some buddies on stuff like Titanfall, if any of you gents have it and plan to get a party going (I rock the FPS games pretty hard once I feel out the flow of the gameplay, the mobility in this one seems unique so might take me a couple games to get it sorted :lol:) shoot me a PM with your gamertag info for XBO and I'll add you so we can play sometime. :yesway: