Titan 7's or Illuminator...7's that is the ???

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by FILTHnFEAR, Feb 12, 2018.

1. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

As the title says.

I want clarity for chords under hi gain, aggressive, chunky, and fairly bright.

Versatility is important too, so I'm really wondering how the Titans will do in that department. I know they're pretty agrressive. Though Im pretty sure the Illuminators are good versatility wise.

Anyone used both that can give me their thoughts on the difference between these two pups?

Currently have a Blaze in the bridge, and while I really like the chunk and the over tones I would like more clarity and aggressiveness.

Thanks a bunch.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Have you considered the EVO7?

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  3. HerbalDude420

HerbalDude420 SS.org Regular

Look into the offerings from The Guitarmory. They have quite the selection!

4. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins (*Block version, not sig) Contributor

Not a fan of either of your choices... I have Illuminators in my JP7 and they just sound like hot garbage to me. Some people love them and hopefully they'll chime in.

I have a ceramic Dimarzio PAF7 in my KxK that is surprisingly awesome all around. It is not a hot pickup, so it retains a lot of clarity with high gain amps, and rolls back quite nicely for cleans. The mids are very slightly scooped, so it responds well to amps with a lot of midrange or rigs with pre-gain midboosters. It has a nice clear and wide tone palette to it... not terribly compressed, scooped, nor boosted IMO. You'll be able to dial in the aggression from your amp, without the pickup compressing under high gain and losing attack/dynamics/clarity.

I've been so impressed that I haven't switched back (yet) to the KxK P90-7s like I thought I would when I bought it.

Otherwise, for Dimarzio I'd go Evo7 like MoM said. Slightly boosted mids and much hotter, so more aggressive sounding on it's own. There's more inherent bite and aggression, so you'll have to dial back your EQ and gain accordingly. YMMV.

You can always check out the usuals 'round these parts, like Lundgren and BKP. Fluence's are also the current flavor and worth checking out. Not terribly expensive, but they will require more work to install since they are active (no body modification though!). Treat yo' self!

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  5. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I wouldn't say either pickup is 'aggressive' necessarily, both are high output (medium-high perhaps) but neither are 'in your face punchy,' in my opinion.

I have limited experience with illuminators but own a set of titans; titan will give you more clarity and chunk.
    Illuminator will be more versatile. Both are relatively bright but the illuminator is a touch more bright overall.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

Aggressive, chunky and bright = dsonic or EVO.
    Titans need a lot of gain to really get mean ime, and they're relatively warm on the high end. They are however the tightest sounding pickup I've ever used besides the bkp aftermath. Quite chunky as well, but not in the same way as the d-sonic (the d-sonic feels like there's a bit less compression imo).

If you want to look into other brands then the guitarmory alnico 8 scud is a very solid choice. Quite aggressive sounding, though not super bright. Has a snarlier midrange. Orion is also a solid choice that can get pretty aggressive. has better chugs than the alnico 8 scud imo, but doesn't have that snarly midrange.
    Elysian goliaths are pretty aggressive/chunky/very clear sounding with a super snarly midrange.
    duncan black winters are a very good choice for an aggressive sound with percussive chugs/trem picking/somewhat snarly midrange.
    The BKP black dog is another that's quite aggressive, relatively bright and has some chunk to it (not as much as the impulses or blackhawk though). Definitely the snarliest midrange besides the goliath.
    Painkillers would work too, depending on how dark your guitar is (they can be a bit obnoxious in the wrong guitar). more of a screaming upper mid focused sound.

There's a fair number of pickups that can do what you want, it's just more a matter of what kind of sound you're looking for, like snarlier mids or more growling midrange, spike in the upper mids, etc.
    In terms of most aggressive voicings nothing really tops the dsonic, black winter, painkillers or black dog.

movingpictures and FILTHnFEAR like this.
  7. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Lundgren M7 with an Alnico V magnet is exactly what you're looking for. It has a low mid chug to palm mutes, very aggressive and saturated and moderate amount of brightness so not ideal for lead playing,

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  8. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

I've always had the notion Evo's were more of a lead guitarists pup. Haven't tried a lot of different pups though either. It sounds interesting and kinda what I'm wanting. How is the clarity? And I'm strictly rhythm as I don't do leads. A lot of single note riffs though.

I'm trying to keep cost down, otherwise I most likely would have gotten a C-Pig by now and been done with it. Though I'm not sure about it's clarity. Ticks all my other boxes though. What do you think of the C-Pig for what I'm asking? It's been on my gas list for years now.

The PAF7 for the bridge is interesting. I'm still not sure if I want lower or higher output.

9. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

D Sonic was first on my list but it got lost in the mix. So much to choose from. Not really wanting to have to pile on the gain to get the best outta the Titans. Heard that elsewhere recently as well. Maybe not what I'm wanting.

So Evo's are a good option for rhythm playing? Like what I'm hearing bout them so far. Are they good for chords under gain though if they're that hot?

So I guess atm it's between a D Sonic, Evo, Illuminators, and the CPig. Are these hotter pups like the Evo and CPig good for the clarity I'm wanting?

Decisions decisions decisions.....at least I'm still pretty sure I'm going with a PAF7 for the neck. Haha. Thanks for the replies guys.

10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I actually hate the EVO7 for leads, it's too bright and "hairy" for my taste.

Rhythms sound much better. Clear, good note separation, aggressive. They can sound thin if you turn up your gain too high, you can thank the output for that. So back off amp gain a hair and pick a tiny bit further towards the neck than normal and it'll be nice and thick.

One of my favorite rhythm tones I ever had in a band setting was with a UV777PBK with an EVO7 in the bridge going into a 5150II with OD808 out front. Massive and aggressive, really let the bass player come through while still having balls.

0rimus, FILTHnFEAR and USMarine75 like this.
  11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

Cpig is relatively dark on the low end and quite bright on the high end. it has a fuckton of low end but is relatively tight, nowhere near the d-sonic or titan though. Overall the c-pig is not the clearest sounding pickup, especially for extended chords.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  12. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

I don't know the Titan 7 but I have the 6-string version in my guitar and while it is really really dense, it is not exactly the most aggressive sounding pickup imho.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  13. oneblackened

oneblackened CROAKIES! CROAKIES!

If you're amenable to BKP, look at the Cold Sweat perhaps. The Ragnarok is mean as shit and does the chunky thing well but it's definitely not the clearest most articulate pickup BKP makes.