Tips on intonating the low B?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by elkoki, Dec 8, 2018.

1. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

I've never been able to perfectly intonate the low B it seems. I've had this on every 7 string I've owned more or less.

I'll intonate the open note with the 12 fret but when I play a B chord it still sounds off . What I've been doing is tuning it by ear to the E string and it sounds in tune that way . Until you actually check the pitch of the low B and you see its super flat . What am I doing wrong ?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

What are you using to tune? Have you tried intonating at a lower fret?

Using the 12th fret/12th harmonic is more of a suggestion than a rule. Ideally you'd intonate where you'll be playing the most.

setsuna7 likes this.
  3. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Using the Guitar Rig 5 tuner. I actually didnt think of intonating to a lower note. I will try that.

4. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

5. Fortin Worship

Fortin Worship SS.org Regular

I have this problem too on 7 strings. I almost always end up tuning the low B or A a tiny bit flat so it sounds good when i fret it. It might actually be in key strummed open too considering striking the string makes it go sharp a little.

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I find I end up tuning the low B just the tiniest bit flat too, but not so much because of intonation being off, more to compensate for how a strong pick attack pulls everything sharp.

Fortin Worship likes this.
  7. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Some guitars just don't intonate well. I've a USA Schecter that had problems all over the fretboard. The solution was a compensated nut which sorted nearly every fret out. If varying setups and tweaks don't work then it's the next option.

8. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

This is actually what I've been doing forever . For some reason the low E and B always sound better tuned a little flatter maybe like 9-10 cents flatter. I'm OK with that but where I get confused is : what should intonate it to ? seems I'm tuning flat anyway ? Make the 12 fret slightly flat too or tuned to pitch ?

9. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars SS.org Regular

Intonation is always a compromise. Getting the action as low as you can with little to no buzzing will help, but maybe another option could be a compensated nut?