Tips for using thicker strings on erg?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Djentlover666, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Djentlover666

Djentlover666 Good case of the djents

When I got my 9 string I immediately bought the ernie ball 9 string set just because I wanted the .105 for the c# with the intention of dropping it to a. But holy shit did that buzz like crazy, only when not fretted. I put paper in the nut slot for that string and it fixed it but it gave a weird buzz so I just got rid of it and went back to a .90 . I was just curious If anyone has any tips for me or anyone else who is curious as well. If it matters its 30 inch scale.

2. Turgon

Turgon SS.org Regular

Maybe your action is too low and that causes some buzz? On the other hand... you wrote it appears only when not fretted, so it has to be some unwanted contact with the first fret, which could be solved with some movements on the truss rod. Bear in mind that I'm a 7-string-only guy, might be different/normal on other ERGs

3. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Probably just need a proper setup. I have an .80 on my 8 string without any buzz. Action on that is a bit higher on that string at the bridge end. Try raising the saddle a bit?

bostjan and mguilherme87 like this.
  4. mguilherme87

mguilherme87 SouthShoreSeven

When you go up in string guage, usually you need to tighten the truss rod just a few quarter turns, and you usually have to raise the action just a smidgen. If you tightened it, you may have over-tightened it which would cause a slight back bow which could be why the strings buzz when open?

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Use the appropriately sized and slotted nut for your strings. :2c:

mguilherme87 likes this.