Tips for Shredding on Guitar EP 1

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by DebaucheryCannon, Jul 7, 2017.

1. DebaucheryCannon

DebaucheryCannon Debauchery Profit

Hey all!

This is a video I made to give some advice on improving your shred. There are some exercises as well to help improve left and right hand dexterity.

Mr. Big Noodles likes this.
  2. Mr. Big Noodles

Mr. Big Noodles Theory God

Thanks for the exercises. Heads up, the PDF link needs fixin'.

One thing I like to do with the 1-2-3-4 exercise is to reorder the pattern. This turns it into a bit of a brain twister and helps with finger independence. 1-3-2-4 on the way up, then 4-2-3-1 on the way down is a good one. It's easy to make up new patterns and incorporate other techniques with this exercise. String skipping:
    Code:
    |-------|-------|-------|-------|-------|-------|-------|1-2-3-4|5-4-3-2|-------|-------|-------|
    |-------|-------|-------|-------|-------|1-2-3-4|-------|-------|-------|-------|5-4-3-2|-------|
    |-------|-------|-------|1-2-3-4|-------|-------|1-2-3-4|-------|-------|5-4-3-2|-------|-------|
    |-------|1-2-3-4|-------|-------|1-2-3-4|-------|-------|-------|-------|-------|-------|5-4-3-2|
    |-------|-------|1-2-3-4|-------|-------|-------|-------|-------|-------|-------|-------|-------|
    |1-2-3-4|-------|-------|-------|-------|-------|-------|-------|-------|-------|-------|-------|
    And so on. The exercises at the beginning of John Petrucci's Rock Discipline are also a good place to go for finger independence.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    DebaucheryCannon and FILTHnFEAR like this.
  3. DebaucheryCannon

DebaucheryCannon Debauchery Profit

Yeah dude! That's what I was going to do for my next video. All of the patterns possible.