Tiny home studio - struggling to find room for rack equipment - need ideas

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by lewis, Feb 8, 2018.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

so Im about half way through converting my cupboard under the stairs, into a small home studio.

The Ikea desk is in (no proper studio desks would fit), as is my guitar rack.
    I need somewhere in there to house a 1U power conditioner, a 3U Kemper and a 1U Engl tube preamp but Im really struggling to find an answer. Wall space is at a minimum. I have some room on the top of the desk (it has the tall back add on) but not alot as thats where some monitors would need to go.
    Other things like buying acoustic foam, and some monitors etc, is not an issue.

I found these vertical 4U rack brackets but I would need 5U and I cant find those. Anyone got any nifty suggestions/tips on what I can do?.
    I have NO where on the desk itself that this stuff would fit. I did manage to squeeze a monitor into the gap I did have.

I will take some Pics shortly and upload so everyone gets an idea of what Im working with.

How are other people getting round this issue at home?

EDIT:
    Pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thinking something on the wall there /\ but it cant stick out very far otherwise it will stop me from being able to pull a guitar out

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

At the risk of sounding sarcastic, I have very limited space and I just don't have that stuff. I have a small CPU that I drag around with me, I have a 4U case with just I/O stuff and a power conditioner, and a tiny desk I cobbled together from old desk parts, which I keep equipped with a monitor, a pair of monitors (heh, different monitors), a keyboard and a mouse. When I need to use my amp, I wheel it out and mic it up, then put it away when I'm done - same goes for drums. It's a lot more labour intensive that way, and makes set up and tear down times burdensome, but living in a 1700 square foot house of which only 30 square feet of space is apportioned to my music stuff, means that I have to deal with it as such.

Maybe you can sort of do the same thing. Rather than have a studio rack in your desk full of Kempers and rackmount Engl rigs, keep a portable small rack unit with your amp stuff, then use a small wire rack or even a nightstand to hold it when you need it, and put it away when you don't.

Elric likes this.
  3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

see pics.

and most people buy a Kemper for studio use dude.

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Well, a Kemper can do either live or studio quite easily, so I'm not sure where you're going with that. Are you not going to use it live?

What if you put wall hangers for the guitars and then had your rack next to the desk?

You could also mount the rack hardware sideways to conserve space.

5. 4Eyes

4Eyes SS.org Regular

Tell me about small space, I feel your pain :lol:

Attached Files:

odibrom and lewis like this.
  6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Yeah Thought about that. Might be the route I have to go (except for my headless and its hardcase obviously)

Athough thats the stairs and that back wall is likely thin plasterboard. Not sure how well it will hold them. Especially my 8 string, its really heavy.

regards to the Kemper, I have a travel case for it (the Line 6 bag on the top) so for the time being I will be slotting it in and out of my home studio and my practice room to use with my band, until I maybe save up for a toaster one in the future. So I can leave 1 in each place.

7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

that is awesome! makes my small space seem huge haha.
    Very well done there sir.

Do you have rack gear?

8. 4Eyes

4Eyes SS.org Regular

thank you, I plan to squeeze in small tube head and 1x12 cab.. :lol:

I have 4U rackbag on the floor..I used to pack my pedalboard, laptop and audio interface in it when I needed to move elsewhere (it was like playing tetris, live). now it functions as feet rest, haha.. but I built my "table" with rails, so I can pull it out and sit comfortably..

is it possible to turn your guitar stand in 90degree angle and move it as close as possible to the right wall? or diagonally in the corner, that should create some space that could accommodate a rack case - I don't know exact dimensions of your space, though. or I would build a stand where you could fit rack case above your guitar stand. I would go for more U height, use extra space for drawer, or storage space for cables, strings, whatever. I would go for something like that in your situation.

my .02

lewis likes this.
  9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Thats a good shout.
    i will try spinning the guitar stand around and seeing how far i can tuck it under the stairs.
    i was actually going to look to get rid of maybe 3 of these guitars too so in that instance i would only need a stand for 3 guitars in that case so that could really help too.

4Eyes likes this.
  10. 4Eyes

4Eyes SS.org Regular

yeah, I was going to suggest smaller guitar stand, too. but I wasn't sure how much of your guitar you need or will keep

11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

ok just span it around. It just fits in width ways.

i have a hard case which my headless is in and that wont really fit in properly as is. But would if I only had a 3 guitar stand.
    So Im going to get the 2 yamaha's finished and possibly take them both and my shit bass in there, into my local music shop for store credit off some Studio monitors.
    Then just have the 3 guitars. (6,7 and 8) in the rack, and the hardcase in the newly acquired space down the side.

This way around too, WILL fit in a proper studio rack thing too next to the desk. So thats handy.

4Eyes likes this.
  12. 4Eyes

4Eyes SS.org Regular

Sounds like a plan, then :)

13. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

really struggling to find some rack furniture or something thats relatively shallow. needs to be less than 40cm deep really.
    Anyone know of any rack cases, preferably slimline tall standing ones, that are quite shallow.?

14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

found the perfect thing.
    Wall mountable 6u rack case.
    Only 30cm deep (perfect size)

[​IMG]

just needs the rack case claw/screws. And i can get right angled IEC power cables to run out the back of everything.

billinder33 and 4Eyes like this.
  15. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Plugins. Learn them. Love them. Sell all that rack stuff. ??? Profit.

lewis likes this.
  16. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

lewis likes this.
  17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

If you hit reply on my first post they should appear in the reply box.

Yeah an editor is long overdue.

18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

update:

Figured I would bump this old thread as progress in here has really ramped up!
    Here is where Im at atm :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So as you can see I "ikea hacked" the desk to create a rack space.
    I need to get some more IEC cables and adapters so I can power everything from the Samson.

Still got more tiles to put up. (ran out of velcro)

And then I want to get 2 USB powered multi coloured LED strips, a Rack light and a Philips Iris lamp for mood lighting.

The Monitors were a steal. Someone was moving house and wanted a quick sale.
    £35 and that included them delivering them too me. (Yamaha HS5s)

The Interface will be on the top in between the monitors long term alongside a wax burner for nice mood scents.

Im really happy how this has progressed.
    I have a couple of VSts I now want to pick up (the Solemn Tones stuff) and Im pretty much ready to record then. Already picked up Omnisphere which is amazing.

4Eyes and buriedoutback like this.
  19. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

This looks great and you've done an amazing job maximizing your tiny work area. I guess the one question I have... how are you liking the greenscreen paint job?

I had something similar in my current work space and got rid of it because it was driving me insane.... I have a much more relaxing greyish brown now.

lewis likes this.
  20. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Thank you :)
    Im really happy with it.

Regards to the green, its my favourite colour and my whole living room is a green/black/white colour scheme with multi coloured accents.
    This cupboard happens to be in said living room so the decorating was just made the same.

I actually have no intention of green screening anything.