Time Signatures

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by macalpine88, Oct 6, 2004.

1. macalpine88

macalpine88 SS.org Regular

i have just recently been trying to write stuff other than 4/4. i know a whole note gets 4 beats per measure and half gets 2 beats etc in 4/4. but do all the notes get counted the same in something other than 4/4. say 9/8 :confused: would notes have the same number of beats? :confused:

2. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

in 9/8, the 8th not gets the beat. But the easiest way to count that of is 3 8th notes per quarter note click on the metronome. Basically, think of 9/8 as 3/4 in triplets. generally, anything in X/8 has 3 8th notes per quarter note beat.

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

yeah, given the formula A/B, B gets the beat, and there are A beats per measure. So, 7/4 means the quarter note gets the beat, and there are 7 of 'em to a measure. 7/8 is seven 8th notes per measure. 15/8 is 15 of 'em. Etc.

It's usually a LOT easier to subdivide these when counting, though. Like, a fast 15/8 groove would involve counting one-two-three-four-five-six...-fourteen-fifteen-one... etc to stay on top of. It's MUCH easier to count, 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8, 1-2-3-4-5-6-7, 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8, etc. That's a pretty extreme example, maybe, but the traditional way of counting seven is 1-2-3-4-1-2-3, which is a little more excessable...

You can count it in other ways, though- whatever fits your riff, really. You could count 15 as 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3; three groupings of four, then one of three. Or, you could do two groupings of 6 and one of three if that's how the downbeats fall- a buddy of mine wrote a riff in 19 that he counted out 1-1-2-3-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-1-2, because that fit the melodic countour; one, three, seven, two.

Sorry, late night at work- this might be a little disjointed. ;)

-D

4. God Of 7

God Of 7 SS.org Regular

I taught piano for years (college major) and I found that you learned faster and more thoroughly when attacking odd time signatures one at a time.
    Focus on 5/4 and play examples until you are comfortable-really comfortable.You should be able to play your favorite 4/4 song melodies in 5/4 without much trouble. It'll sound wierd, but when you can do that- move to 7/4.
    You want to keep the quarter constant (like an anchor) as you navigate and only go to the eighth note meter after.

Much easier to cop it IMHO. :D

5. macalpine88

thanks for the help :D i dont know why it is so hard. i have been trying to learn for about a year and now it is just starting ot make sense

6. Metal Ken

The best thing to do is read as amny theory books as you can and ask as many questions as you can to people who know theory. After a while it all starts to make sense ;p

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Listening to the stuff helps, too- if you don't own any, now's a GREAT time to buy some Tool... ;)

-D

8. macalpine88

i listen to planet x alot to they have some wierd time signatures and i can count them but i just have trouble writing in them i dont know why though :(

9. Metal Ken

Of if you wanna go to an extreme, Spiral Architect ;p

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

been meaning to grab some of their stuff- care to recommend a starting point?

tool still rocks. :) Maynard's a fuckin' genius :hbang:

-D

11. Metal Ken

They only have one album so far.. Get that one . ;p

Songwise, check out Spinning or FountainHead.

12. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

hmm. tricky. ;)

No file sharing program, sorry... I miss audiogalaxy, i bought SO many albums because of that thing.

13. Metal Ken

I got instant messanger, if you wanna do that or i could email them to ya.

14. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

no home net access, and it wouldn't fly at work- sorry man.

I checked out an amazon.com clip of "Spinning," I think- the first track. Didn't really care for the vocalist, and it's tough to get a feel for rhythmic complexity at whisper-quiet volumes...

-D

15. Metal Ken

just wait till you can hear it in its entirety. Its one of my all time fav. Prog albums after some Psychotic Waltz.

16. Vince

Vince Contributor

an easy way I like to break up odd time sigs is to break them down to their core parts. For example, when I'm playing 7/4 time, I try to think of it as a measure of 3, then a measure of 4...or a measure of 4, then a measure of 3. Either one of those (whichever fits the piece I'm playing) usually gets me through the part.

I have two songs I've written where I delve in to odd times. One song is an industrial twinged song based in 5/4 time, and I oscillate (sp?) between 5/4 and 4/4, even putting 2 measures of 3/4 in there for fun.

In another song, I begin the song in 4/4 time, the bridge halfway through is in 6/8, and then I finish the song with a 4 part guitar harmony in 11/8 time.

11/8 time rules. It's a waltz with 2 big powerful hits every 4 measures (3/4, 3/4, 3/4, 2/4). Fun stuff!

17. Metal Ken

Yeah, there's this badass spiral Architect riff in 11/16(Intro to "Fountainhead"). Its like, you gotta count 1-2-3-4-5--1-2-3-4-5-6. Its freaky as hell. You keep wanting to make it 12/16 (3/4) but thats what makes it so hard to play.

18. Vince

Vince Contributor

so, (5 and a half + 6)/ 4? That's not music, that's nearly calculus!

Just put an f(n) = in front of it!

Spiral Arichitect is a crazy band. Great stuff.

19. Metal Ken

Its not 5.5, it was just me making it easier to read lol
    But its weird as hell
    After that, it goes into this part in 19/16 then back into the original riff, then into a 7/8 part thats awesome as hell.

20. Vince

Vince Contributor

Well I saw the two dashes and just assumed :agreed:

Oh yeah, one more thing... :scream2: