Tilted vs Straight pickups?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by griffinondek, Mar 1, 2017.

1. griffinondek

griffinondek SS.org Regular

Hey, I'm looking to purchase my first Strandberg Boden OS 6. If youre on the forum, you know what it is. Its a multiscale instrument with a slanted bridge, but why are the pickups straight? specifically the bridge one? I was looking to put in Bareknuckle Juggernauts when I got the guitar. I have heard that having the bridge pickup too far from the bridge will lose the tight snappiness when palm muting on high gain tones. Does anyone know if having a straight pickup near a tilted bridge will affect my tone?! thanks in advance!:shred:

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Yes, it will affect the tone. It's a matter of convenience and cost usually. Straight pickups are easier to implement.

Generally, the closer the pickup is to the bridge the more it will accentuate higher order harmonics, because there are fewer nodes.

It's also something a lot of people don't really care about. :shrug:

What is your idea? I mean, however it sounds, is the way it sounds, no matter what the reason is. You can always look at it from the top down, so to speak. If you don't like the tone, maybe you can find pickups that compensate for the difference you are hearing, although, honestly, if you don't have anything to which to compare the sound, then it doesn't really matter.

3. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I believe this year, Strandberg has some models with slanted pickups and some without. Personally if I were buying a Strandberg, I would go for a slanted model.

Distance from the bridge definitely will make a difference, try measuring the distance on a few of your guitars, generally they're all a bit different. I have one guitar with a further-than-normal bridge pickup, and the response is a bit more bottom heavy, with less attack. If you've ever played a strat, or other guitar with a middle pickup, and switched between them, that is kind of an exaggerated example of the sound difference. Though the Strandbergs don't have the pickup quite that far away.

IIRC, misha had a new body made for his first strandberg with slanted pickups, as he thought the low B didn't sound right

4. sezna

sezna undermotivated

I have an os6. The reason they're straight on the 6 and tilted on the 7 and 8 is just because the fan on the os6 is super minimal, so it doesn't make an audible difference.

5. griffinondek

eeeeexactly. Im a huge Bulb / Periphery fan (Part of the reason why Im getting the Juggernauts). I lve super attack-y distorted tones, similar to the ones Misha is famous for. Someone said that the minimal fan of the frets is the reason why? Im not sure if thats it or not... thanks to everyone who has replied so far!

6. griffinondek

I appreciate the clear and concise response! I just mentioned in another reply that I love very attack-y distorted tones. Im worrying that the position of the pickup will limit the attack I get in the low end. I usually play in Drop C, or anything higher up to standard. Anything lower than that I add a string :evil: Do you think Ill lose attack because the pickup isn't tilted?

7. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

Having straight pickups will undo some of the effects of the fan on the low strings by introducing bass, cutting the highs and reducing attack while the higher strings will get brighter/thinner if you try to compensate.