Tiger escapes at San Francisco zoo, kills visitor

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by ohio_eric, Dec 26, 2007.

1. ohio_eric

ohio_eric Contributor

Escaped tiger kills visitor at S.F. zoo - Life - MSNBC.com

2. Jongpil Yun

Jongpil Yun Contributor

<_<

The police killed it? We need more nonlethal weapons for police for a lot of reasons.

3. Apophis

Apophis Banned

it sucks

4. Jason

Jason Forum MVP

I agree BUT in this case the fucking tiger had mauled a zookeeper a year earlier.. That cat was fucked up IMO.

5. Apophis

Apophis Banned

6. Jongpil Yun

Jongpil Yun Contributor

In that case you're probably right.

7. 7StringofAblicK

7StringofAblicK Contributor

Wow

I mean how awful would it be to die at the hand of fucking siberian tiger?

Fuck that :noplease:

8. Nick

Nick Stop the Madness!

i dont agree with this at all.

Its a Siberian tiger not a house cat. Its pretty much got 4 things on its mind hunt, kill, eat, reproduce.

This animal should 100% not have been killed. If people want to keep killing machines as tourist attractions they need to not expect them to stop being killing machines because thats what they do.

The animal should have been tranquilised and kept in a more secure enclosure.

I feel bad for the person that got killed but this was a revenge killing against something which was only doing what it was born to do.

This was the zoos fault for having poor security measures.

9. Psychoface

Psychoface SS.org Addict

that would suck ass.....

10. Apex1rg7x

Apex1rg7x Agent of Chaos

:agreed: Its not that tigers fault at all. Its what they're born to do. Hunt, kill and eat. Its that simple.

11. Kotex

Kotex Trippin' balls

The tiger got through a 15ft mote and climbed a 20ft wall (as said on the news).

I've been to that Zoo before, but I can't remember what the outside tiger exhibit looks like. I only remember the in closed one, which is a cage.

12. 7StringofAblicK

7StringofAblicK Contributor

I guess the only argument against this (which I'm not saying I disagree with you) would be if the Tiger was sick - maybe it had a mental malfunction or disease that made it react in the manner it did.

I'm not siberian tiger savvy, so I assume that it was plenty healthy and only reacted out of natural instinct. With that said, it shouldn't have been killed - but then again we could argue the cops were only reacting out of his or her natural instincts :shrug: (not that it makes it right...)

13. Jongpil Yun

Jongpil Yun Contributor

You guys are forgetting "sleep". But I digress. Tigers as far as I know shouldn't usually attack humans.

14. T_money419

T_money419 Badass mofo

Sucks how they killed it. Siberian Tigers are one of the most beautiful animals on the planet. The one time they don't use a taser:noplease:

15. Pirelli

Pirelli SS.org Regular

Do you want to get close enough to use a tazer? I sure as hell wouldn't.

You'd think in a zoo they'd have a tranquilizer gun on hand. There's no way it should have been shot unless it was running at a person that particular second.

16. Nick

Nick Stop the Madness!

True the only animal that feeds (or fed) on humans as its primary source of food was the nile crocodile and while they are still about humans tend not to go near them anymore.

However when it got out id imagine there was a fair amount of running and screaming etc which would have triggered fight or flight as the poor thing probably shat its self and id say that when your somewhat of a ninja of the animal kingdom its going to be fight not flight.

17. drshock

drshock Street-good guy

Ten dollars says someone blames this on atheism and heavy metal. Or video games.

18. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf Contributor

1. Tigers kill people fairly regularly. Especially in India and the surrounding regions. This is true of most big cats, generally. While shy, they can and do kill people, even eating them sometimes.

2. While in theory this cat should have been tranquilized, in practice, those police officers had to act fast to save lives. They were perfectly justified and correct in killing the tiger, as awful as that may be. In reality, the zoo should have had their tranquilizer team quickly on site. They're the ones apparently at fault, but the police, they did what they had to do.

Awful tragedy, for both the people involved, and for the animal. :( As much as I respect and commend zoos for their work in animal conservation and public education, big cats are not really meant to be stuck in cages.

playstopause likes this.
  19. Nick

Nick Stop the Madness!

yeah im not really blaming the police because lets face it if i had a gun and there was a tiger on the rampage zoology graduate or not id be shooting at it if i thought it was coming at me or others.

The blame here lies completley with the zoo.

i dont agree with zoos for any animal over the size of about 1 ft long because like you say they are not supposed to be in cages. unfortunatley they are the lesser of 2 evils. Cage them in zoos or let fools kill them for their fur.

20. El Caco

El Caco Djavli te ponesli Contributor

:agreed: All the reports I have seen described it as a wild animal, it's a shame it had to die because it did not do anything wrong. The officers main concern here was to save human lives, I feel they acted appropriately but it is a shame there was no alternative.

I hope the findings from the inquiry are published, I would really like to know how it got out of it's enclosure, the discussion I have seen has indicated that it could have only got out if someone deliberately released it or if someone had been tormenting it.