Thump! Tosin Abasi DVD

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by J_Mac, Sep 16, 2016.

1. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

2. ncfiala

ncfiala Silence you bastard

I don't really have any interest in this technique or AAL, but one thing I wonder is if the technique is much harder if your thumb doesn't bend backwards practically 90 degrees. That dude's thumb is freaky looking.

3. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

Haha I wondered the same thing til I saw this:

4. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

Yeah this DVD is ace. Well presented, good theory and lots of examples/songs, includes a booklet. Very impressed, learning a lot.

The deluxe version includes Tosin's axe presets (excellent), signed postcard and 3 AAL picks (my new favourite picks!).

5. chris9

chris9 SS.org Regular

I agree it's a great dvd from start to finish having fun learning lots of new ideas.

6. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

The technique is harder. Hitting downstokes through the string is no problem, but getting it perfectly clean can be harder because those of us who have normal thumbs have to bend our thumbs to some angle. Hitting upstrokes is more difficult because a normal thumb doesn't catch the strings on the upwards movement like how a double-jointed thumb does.

7. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

Was the DVD made by a fly by night company with low quality standards resulting in the disks breaking in your player?

8. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

technical application is unique.

9. phrygian12

phrygian12 SS.org Regular

I've been wondered this as well. I use to be able to bend my thumb that way before I got surgery to have the tendon in my thumb reattached. I can kinda get that slap sound just not as clean. I can get that pseudo slap pop sound by plucking the strings while muting. Anyway, I've been wondering if it's just technique or the position on your thumb plays a big role. Victor Wooten's thumb looks similar when he does all his crazy slap pop thumping stuff.

Annnnnnnnd that pretty much answered my question. I guess I need to pick up his DVD and just practice for a few months.

10. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

Yeah I kinda got a good thump sound on the down and up strokes now. Grew out the thumbnail a bit, that helped. But also, keeping the 'thumbs up' position is key. Thumb nearly parallel to the string. Impact on the downstroke needs to be halfway down the nail length, half flesh/half nail impact.

11. glassmoon0fo

glassmoon0fo Some Say...

Can honestly tell you guys, the thumb excuse is just that, an excuse lol. I felt the same way when i first started messing with it years back (tabbed the whole first album, it was a necessity) and it just always sounded like ass. Well i messed with the tone settings a little bit so I could just concentrate on the technique rather than all the nail scratches and overtones popping out, and even then it took a long time to get comfortable with it.

The biggest help I can give, is just play with the techneque so much that you almost get lazy. The more relaxed I am, the better the attack happens. I don't use any more nail than usual, and my thumb and wrist are very neutral in position. Dont let the alien thumb thing throw you off!

vid for reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4agrK0oAdQ

Chronophobia likes this.
  12. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

Nice playing dog! Impressive \m/ I must have a crack at that. What's your guitar there?

13. glassmoon0fo

glassmoon0fo Some Say...

a KxK 8 Scale. Sadly I sold it a year or so ago. It was LITERALLY the best playing and most beautiful guitar I've ever seen and held, much less owned, but man I split with my old lady and couldn't justify a $4k piece. GOD i miss that one.

EDIT: thank you by the way!

14. jmarzini91

jmarzini91 SS.org Regular

How is the dvd? Thinking about getting it. And do you need an 8 string for it or will a 7 do?

15. Visionsick

Visionsick SS.org Regular

So has anyone else noticed that Tosin and Jaco (amazing bassist) both have that strange bent thumb? I'm sure it makes the technique easier to execute. :hbang:

16. ncfiala

ncfiala Silence you bastard

There seem to be a lot of amazing guitarists and bassists who have those weird thumbs. I like to think that it gives them an advantage, but more than likely I'm just making excuses for why I suck.

17. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

This guy does a good tutorial here on a 7 string. His swirls are ace too.

18. fr4nci2c0

fr4nci2c0 SS.org Regular

Thanks for posting this! I have an eight string now and am diving head first into this technique.