Thoughts on tuneomatic Wilkinson roller bridge?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Silence2-38554, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Silence2-38554

Silence2-38554 SS.org Regular

So, in my hunt for a replacement bridge for my LTD SC500, I am pretty set on at least trying out a Wilkinson brass roller bridge with locking saddles. There are, however, a couple things making me hesitant. First thing being saddle spacing. The stock bridge has a string spread of about 2 1/16", while the Wilkinson is 2" dead. Will this be a noticeable change over the stock spacing? The other concern I have is that I tend to string my guitar with fairly heavy gauge strings to accommodate drop C tuning, typically having a .58 or .60 as the 6th string. I was reading through some reviews reporting that larger gauge strings don't seat very well in the roller due to each roller having the same width of groove. And yes, the guitar I would be using this bridge with has a string-through design, rather than a trem which is what these bridges are typically used with. I'm really just looking to hear from other people that have had experiences with this bridge & what did you think of it?

2. HighPotency

HighPotency SS.org Regular

I haven't had experience with the bridge, but the 1/16" difference equates to only a 1/112 difference per string so I doubt it's noticeable.

On a semi-related note... Holy crap that's a heavy string for drop C. :eek:

3. Metal_Webb

Metal_Webb Needs more strings Contributor

I use a .060 for my 6-er tuned between B standard/ C standard. Helps to give it a freaking huge fat tone.
    /OT

As said, the spacing between the strings is going to be a few thou closer, more than likely will make absolutely not difference.

4. vansinn

vansinn ShredNeck into Beck

Why will you want a roller bridge on your LTD?
    Do you have strings stuck in the groove (so to speak) ?
    If this is the case, maybe simply consider Graphtech saddles, if available for your bridge.

Some discussions on the topic: Advice, Please... Bigsby + Roller Bridge - The Gear Page

5. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

There's a lot of folks that like the smoother "transition" with the rollers over the regular TOM-style saddles. Plus, it's supposedly a heavy, comfortable, locking bridge.

The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of screw adjusters for setting the intonation.

Ray

6. silent_k

silent_k derpa derp! Contributor

I have one of these bridges on a Jazzmaster I built, and while it's reasonably good quality, Ray's observation is its worst feature. Making intonation adjustments is a real pain. If you're looking for a direct replacement that won't involve pulling the existing bushings, doweling the holes, and redrilling, it's not a bad option -- just be prepared for some challenges with intonation. If you are removing the bushings, I'd consider the Schaller roller bridge, which I've also used on a couple of builds. It's a higher quality piece overall, and the intonation screws are a major plus.