Thoughts on this Bass and Drums mix?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by jsaudio, May 12, 2018.

1. jsaudio

jsaudio SS.org Regular

Metalloutd likes this.
  2. Axe Cop

Axe Cop SS.org Regular

I love your snare and the bass sounds nasty. It sounds great man. Please post a full track please.

3. jsaudio

jsaudio SS.org Regular

Thanks dude, this album probably won't come out until August but i'll release a single in July I'll definitely post it here.

I used a similar mix on my last record but i think this new one is going to be cleaner. Here is the single from my record last August

If you want Stems to mix this song yourself you can download them here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tfzb5edyk7t15xc/ENAMOR STEMS.rar?dl=0

4. jsaudio

jsaudio SS.org Regular

Also I was aiming for a very similar mix to Periphery III I think I will have it pretty close. My snare is obviously not as cool as theirs though

5. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

Look the tones are fine. But unless the whole thing is just drums and bass, any commentary is irrelevant, because mixing is all contextual.

Like how is that bass tone going to play once you add guitars? How is the snare drums low end going to work with same guitars, what about vocals, where does that presence in the bass actually sit?

Like why would you mix without all your elements? Not trying to be rude, but genuinely asking what you hope to get out of this. It's going to completely change once you add the rest of the elements, and all that work you did may not work in contest. You'll be fighting your own processing.

Gain Stage
    Treat problems
    Balance, carve, fit the pieces together
    Be creative

6. jsaudio

jsaudio SS.org Regular

thanks for the input, just looking to see opinions on the tones in general. The cool thing about this record is its all instrumental prog stuff so no vocals. But i do mix with everything I just wanted to see if there were any thoughts on the tone and bass/drum volume balance.