Thoughts on TH3 by overloud (+ demo)...

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Guitarjon, Nov 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

Thermionik video is online for some hours now ;)

Guitarjon likes this.
  2. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

just to explain what is going on there with the amps/channels in TH3, on most of the amps you can't dynamically change the channel... instead there is one amp that is the "clean channel" and the same amp that is the "distortion channel". For example, Heavy51 rhythm is channel 1 of a 5150 and Heavy51 lead is channel 2. I think there is a few amp heads in there that you can just change the channel on the one head though.

This probably does not matter to you now that you use thermionik, but I thought i'd just throw in some cents to maybe clear some confusion

3. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

TH3 is number one all in one package from all software amp sims, at least for me. Choices in amp models aren't most usual stuff, for example Randall, Brunetti and DV Mark, which is nice. Last two maybe because Overloud is an italian company.

I usually stay with Recto CH3, 5150 and Randall T2 for high gain stuff. For cleans Jazz Chorus 120 most of the time. What I noticed that Mesa .50 cal simulations clean channel makes really nice crunchy breakup when it's distortion is pushed almost full.

Mesa Mark II model dialed in like this is also a beast!

What comes to using Ownhammer impulses with TH3, I like to mix different mics myself in IR-loader, and not use mixes by Ownhammer. That's because I like my tones more "in your face" and "raw", than those mixes are. Nothing wrong in them, they work in certain kind of situations, but not with my setup or tastes. Mesa Recto OS and Engl Pro 412 with 57 & 421, 57 & 160, 57 & 7B, or 57 & 121 are most usable for me. Mixing 80% of 57 and other 20% some other not as fizzy mic makes it have more depth and body.

Elric likes this.
  4. tender_insanity

tender_insanity SS.org Regular

TH3 is quite good and it's at it's best with mid higain, I'd say. JCM's, DV Maragold, Orange etc sound really convincing. Randall ones are quite good too. The stompboxes are ok too. SD-1 and DS-1 are my to go pedals. DS-1 into Orange is an instant Passion & Warfare sound.

With high gain sounds TH3 sounds quite, hmmm, round. Engl and Randall TH2 are good. TH3 gain knobs are like older Zooms, so the gain is quite on/off :) I was quite disappointed with TH3's 5150. It's quite ok but haven't got it sound like a real 5150. IMO the best 5150's are TSE (which I have as a demo only), Thermionik and ReValver.

For a few days my favorite combination has been in ReValver 4. Gate and TS-clone from the ReValver, then add Thermionik Damage 120 with the vst module and then ReValver's Engl 4x12 cab + some EQ.

5. Metropolis

It's about finding proper impulse responses that fit with TH3's amp modeling. But it's rounder and warmer than TSE or Thermionik. Amps definetly have sweet spot with gain knob, which isn't even hard to find. With other software modelers it isn't always so obvious, because they tend to be more compressed compared to TH3. Have to admit that TSE X50's 5150 is better than TH3's one :D

6. tender_insanity

tender_insanity SS.org Regular

Yes, there's always a sweet spot but you do except the gain go down when the knob is lowered under three, don't you? With TH3 is like 0.9 = less gain, 1.0 = full gain. On other software sims you definitely hear when gain knob is turned down :p

More of the software sims should have a VST module like ReValver 4 does so that you have a virtual effects loop. So you could get best of both worlds. Would be awesome if TH3 had one.

7. Metropolis

It does get lower, because I use di-box in front of my interface, and boost proper amount with ts-model. It starts to feel being full gain when knob is turned over 5. With this setup sweet spot is around 3.5.

8. Metropolis

This is weird... IR-loader in TH3 has always been not the best one. Blending feature seems odd and it creates uneven phase between two impulses, and signal/volume drops when using it.

TH3 opened in a daw and using some other cab loader seems to eliminate those problems and tone suck it creates. This way you can get TSE X50 2.4's 5150 and TH3's one really close to each other. Hope they could upgrade it somehow, but I doubt it's gonna happen, because Overloud's customer service isn't best.

So I would want to make a suggestion for @Guitarjon could you make a comparison video about IR-loaders? It would include free stuff like Rosen Digital Pulse/Ignite Amps Nadir, or LepPou's loader compared to higher end stuff like; Two Notes Wall Of Sound and Fractal Audio Cab Lab 3.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    rahnvu likes this.
  9. Metropolis

Ugh... I came to a sudden realization that TH3 has too much warmth and roundness between 200-800hz, so that's why it lacks articulation and clarity for metal. It just doesn't have enough cold and tight sound.

10. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Try to scoop out some mids at around 400hz with a fairly wide bell.
    Should work fine!

Elric and Metropolis like this.