Thoughts on TH3 by overloud (+ demo)...

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Guitarjon, Nov 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

I've owned TH3 for a while now and I also had TH2.
    TH2 was a pretty cool plugin with convincing sounds!
    For my ' Clean, Crunch, Rock & Metal ' platform demonstration series I went back to TH3 for a dedicated episode and I loved working with this plugin again!
    Here is that video:

There are a couple of things I really like about TH3:

1.It sounds great!
    A lot of the amp models sound really convincing and pleasant to the ear.
    I almost never have to do a whole lot of tweaking to get a great sound.
    This is definitely one of the better amp modeler VST's out there.

2.There are many cool options for amp models!
    I'm a sucker for options so the fact that TH3 has so many amps to offer is fun for me.
    It's also pretty cool that they have licensed models from companies such as Randall, THD and Brunetti.
    The amp offerings are very diverse and since I like rock and metal a lot, so it's cool to have enough options to get that huge crunch!
    TH3 definitely isn't only for rock players since the low and mid gain tones are also very good!

3.The effects are good and there are also many choices here!
    Placing the effects in the chain and tweaking them is quite easy.
    The modulation, drive and reverb effects were to my liking.

4.Other things like the internal IR loader are handy, also the resizable window is cool.
    I guess the IR loader could have better browsing options though, like Recabinet or Nadir.

I'm having a hard time thinking of negative things really but I'd love to know what you guys think of this plugin.
    I see it mentioned sometimes but maybe it doesn't get the attention it deserves?
    What do you think?
    I think the video also shows that this plugin performs pretty well in the mix!

PS: Many more episodes for the 'CCRM' series will be released soon so stay tuned and subscribe if you want to see those.
    Future episodes will include these platforms: Kemper, Thermionik, Amplitube, Guitar Rig, Brainworx, Kuassa, Amplion, Studio Devil and more!

2. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

TH3 is my favorite for sound and ease of use. Best all in one modeling vst in my opinion. very cool demo!

Guitarjon likes this.
  3. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Cheers!
    Which amp models do you like best in TH3?

4. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Just discovered it, and loving it a lot better than amplitube 3 and ezmix

Guitarjon likes this.
  5. rahnvu

rahnvu SS.org Regular

You're welcome :p

Great as always Jon! I like the sound and the layout, at least better than most. The IR loader gave me lower signals, which was weird so i just used lecab after th3.

After my demo expired i have used Thermionik so i'm looking forward to youe video on that. You always get everything to sound amazing though!
    What's your take on Mercuriall VS TH3?

6. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

i also love TH3. when i first tried it it just blew me away at how open and clear it sounds. with most other amp sims and also the Pod HD i feel like the distortion has a bit of a foggy character layed on top of the tone. but with TH3 that that fogginess is cleared up. and the UI is the most intuitive i´ve seen in any amp sim. also the stand alone version has really good features, like easy knob-midi-assignments. most other amp sims don´t even come with a stand alone version which makes simple jamming quite the hassle. overall TH3 is way underrated and doesn´t get the attention it deserves.

Elric and Guitarjon like this.
  7. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Good points!
    Have you ever tried Thermionik?

8. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

Honestly, I have no idea! haha every time I think I have a favorite I go to one of my other presets and am re-blown away. I can get a great high gain tone out of most of the high gain heads. I love how easy it is to make whacked out experimental setups too, very inspiring!

Guitarjon likes this.
  9. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

FWIW, I feel really similar to Johnny wrt to TH3's clarity, etc. I find Thermionik quite good too.... My only issue with it is that it is a pain to build presets with because it is a bunch of individual models. It's worth the cash/effort but I wish Kazrog would build an all in one interface and add FX. It is alot easier to fire up TH3, Bias, Native or Amplitube and get an entire tone going. So even though it sounds good, I don't use it as much as a I would if it was setup differently. Some other folks may *like* this though. Not gonna judge. :D

The Fireball model (Burnsphere) on TH3 is ridiculous by the way. Love it!

10. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

I get what you guys are saying about the interface thing and Thermionik.
    About thermionik, aside from the sound, I think a big plus is that all the amps have every channel modeled plus all the switches and options.
    For example with the Mesa MKII amp you can really dial it in to your liking but the TH3 model is just way too basic for this.

Elric likes this.
  11. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

One of the things I dont like in TH3 is that they removed some of Ease of Use and Re-Use they had in TH2.

Either I dont seem to see it, but i think its impossible right now for example to Copy Paste any Module into another Preset. Lets say I have a Preset that I managed after some time to get the settings I wanted (Delay/Chorus and Reverb for example) and want to copy that into other Presets. I cant... I have to write down the settings and manually do them one by one again.

In TH2 I could (and can) simply select what Module I want and Ctl+C and then Ctr+V on any other preset on even add to the Chain.

Also TH2 had these really nice Buttons at the bottom of the screen that we could place FX there to be On or Off. I dont use any Midi pedal board so being able to simply Active or Shut them down all at the same time was a really nice touch. Doesn't exist anymore on TH3.

TH3 sounds better than TH2, but if your using external IRs that better sound is not so evident anymore.

12. dantejayg85

dantejayg85 Se7en

Th3 has become my favorite amp sim lately I agree with pretty much everything you said it's just so easy to dial in a good tone with it. I have the metal edition but will be going with the full version soon.

Here's a demo I made with it
    https://soundcloud.com/pointgreystudio/the-rift

13. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

I was looking for an ITB modeler and demo'd TH3 and agree that it does sound great. I went with AmpliTube though for a couple of reasons.

I hated the TH3 interface. I found it really hard to navigate when I was running on my 13' Mac Air screen. Less of a pain when using it on a full sized monitor, but still...

I'm a Mesa Mark fan and Amplitube's licensed Mesas completely nail that sound.

I did love the TH3 Metropolitan for crunch tones... it's the one thing I really wish AmpliTube had. I wouldn't use it as my main tone, but I could see myself recording with that for many different use cases... nasty funk licks, mildly distorted ringing chords, some dirty Texas blues, etc. It's a beautiful sound and totally unique.

Guitarjon likes this.
  14. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

In case you guys want to see the videos for the other platforms to compare, you can view the rest here:

These other platforms will soon be added to the list:

Kemper
    Revalver
    Amplitube
    Guitar Rig
    Thermionik
    Studio Devil
    Amplion
    GTR3
    X50
    Kuassa Amplifikation Creme and Vermilion
    Amp Vision
    Brainworx amps
    Bias FX/AMP
    Cubase Amp Rack
    Free VST amps

mpexus likes this.
  15. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Of course I tried the Mesa collection from Amplitube 4 since I already bought it anyway.
    I think I used the MKIV in the demo video for that one (which will be released soon).
    I felt that there was something a little strange or off about the top end but I can't explain what.
    It sounds pretty good in the mix though.
    However, I was really disappointed with the Recto amps from that pack.

About that metropolitan amp, yeah it's super sweet!

16. Furyof

Furyof SS.org Regular

How does it compare to TSEx50?

Guitarjon likes this.
  17. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Soundwise I really dig X50 but of course TH3 has more features so it depends on what you want?

18. rahnvu

rahnvu SS.org Regular

You never answered me on your thoughts on TH3 VS Thermionik plugins :(

19. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Sorry, I must have missed that.
    It's kind of a close call soundwise but Thermionik has a couple of advantages to me.
    The fact that Thermionik has all the amp channels and switches is a HUGE plus.
    I also feel like Thermionik has a very good sound....
    If I had to choose (which I don't wat to right now) I'd go for Thermionik.
    However, I think I'm going to release the Thermionik video today so keep your eyes on my channel and this forum cause I'll post it here too.

rahnvu likes this.
  20. rahnvu

rahnvu SS.org Regular

Thanks man! :D

I've been using Thermionik since the last ones came out. I think they're among the best.
    Just thought of why i didn't go for TH3: The channels on the amplifiers often glitched out so that i couldn't change channels. This was really annoying and i never figured out why.

Looking forward to the Thermionik video, and all the others for that matter! :)

Guitarjon likes this.