Thoughts on LTD SC-608b?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by gujukal, Feb 1, 2018.

1. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Hi! I've been looking to buy an 8-string forever but havent pulled the trigger yet. I was interested in the RG2228 but it's not the easiest to find where i live so i was thinking about getting a used LTD SC-608b instead. Anyeone got any experience with it? I've always been an ESP/LTD guy so I'm a bit biased towards their stuff. Build quality seems to be on pair with Ibby prestiges, but how is the neck? Can't find any info really how thick it is or the shape.

I searched for old threads but most of them are like 7-10 years old about this guitar.

2. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 Grey

I haven't tried one yet but I am picking one of the red sparkles up this year. It looks super nice. I would suggest going to a Guitar Center.
    They may have one.

3. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

I live in Sweden so no guitar center available, store I'm thinking of buying from is like 3 hours drive away. I've been using a LTD MH-1000NT for almost 10 years though and they seems similar when it comes to the shape at least. The red sparkle is sexy as hell but it wont be cheap in EU i think, maybe i could import it though.

4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

i was honestly seriously underwhelmed when I played one.
    On paper its the exact type of guitar I normally love and buy but for some reason I jammed for 5 mins and put it back on the shelf.

5. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

In what way? It's quite a basic guitar so i guess it's not something you will be shocked by how amazing it is. Watched this dudes videos and his SC-608b sounds damn good and clear even on E and below :O

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder/pickup tester

depends on the version. Wasn't a fan of the emg loaded one but I recently got to try the fishman loaded one and think that one is worth the price. Personally I hate the placement of the neck pickup, but it's not a huge deal if you don't spend much time on neck pickups. The sound is pretty massive with the fishmans, though through the wrong amp it gets flubby/farty due to the steph sig's weird bump in the low end.

7. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

I would probably swap the EMG's for Abasi's Fluence set down the road. I'm not a huge fan of Stefs fluence pickups. Is the quality worse on the old EMG version? Seems odd tbh.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder/pickup tester

the quality of the guitar itself was fine, it was just my dislike of the EMGs in it.

9. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 Grey

I just ordered my SC608b Red Sparkle! Should be here next week sometime.

10. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Gotcha! It's probably cheaper for me to buy the old one and switch PU's than go for the new one with Fishmans.

Con grats! Would be cool if you did a NGD thread and shared your opinions on it :)

11. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 Grey

I def will

gujukal likes this.
  12. Whipsy77

Whipsy77 SS.org Regular

I have owned a couple. I had one from around 2011 with the EMG 808s in it and Just recently got the new sparkle red version with the Fishman Fluences. Personally I think they are great guitars. The PUP positioning doesn't bother me at all. They play well, are built well and are sexy as hell. I also had an ESP Japanese custom shop version of it. The B8 which is around 4 times as much and out side of the weight in woods (the SC-608B is heavy) there's not a great deal of difference. Only think I wish they would change about them is Stefs sig on the 12th fret.

13. rx

rx I drink water.

You can't really tell how good or bad a guitar is just by watching someone else play it. :)

Find one used for cheap, buy it, then if you don't like it, sell it for the same price. Minimal loss that way. :)