Thoughts on line 6 ax2 212?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by downburst82, Jul 5, 2012.

1. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

Im on a budget and looking for a nice cheap decently powered amp, Found this on craigslist for $200 with footpedal.I know they are old school modeling tech but ive seen some youtube vids of people getting some really great tones out of them:shred:. Just wondering if anyone here has one/has any thoughts on them?

thanx

2. texshred777

texshred777 SS.org Regular

The AX2 was their flagship model before the Vetta. It's definitely dated in comparison to the Vettas or HD stuff but I used to get some pretty good sounds out of them. I spent a great deal of time about 11 years ago thinking about buying one(but went with tube heads and never looked back).

For $200 with the footswitch It's not a bad deal so long as there's no issues with it. I don't know that I'd buy one as a main gigging rig but they're nice for jamming, writing/recording and the occasional lower volume gig.

3. purpledc

purpledc Proud blacksheep

If you need volume avoid it like the fucking plague. It has no power at all. Its funny I was working at sam ash when these first came out. I bought one as a b stock directly from Line 6. I got a BNIB example because the original they sent me was DOA. My co worker at the time had just got the brand new triple channel dual rectos that had came out at the time and asked if I would swap him as he liked how mine sounded better. Needless to say I jumped on that and even though he was happy and so was I he had to run the amp through a PA as he was completely drowned out by his drummer and it couldnt keep up. And they had a crap PA so they could barely hear him. He ended up getting a 6505 a few days later. If this is gonna be a bedroom amp then maybe but Id skip it if you plan on being in a band. And even if your not the spidervalves sound a milliion times better and are pretty cheap these days. And they are a fuck ton louder than any AX2 212.

4. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

Other guitarist has one and it sounds huge. Gotta plug it into a 412, his rattles the speakers out of it. Its not for me, but our tones mix well. I have a tighter sound thats more mids and crispy, and he has a thicker boomy kinda sound.

5. thrashcomics

thrashcomics SS.org Regular

How did he get a 6505 a few days later? they didnt exist.

6. flexkill

flexkill Vodka & PentaTonic

Good point haha:scratch:

7. thrashcomics

thrashcomics SS.org Regular

in fact, they didnt exist for another what 6 years?

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands WONDERFUL

Probably meant to say 5150. :p

9. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

I still play through mine after 11 years, but it is for bedroom playing only. When I was in a band I ran it through a mesa 4x12 cab and even then once the master got over 4 the thing really starts to sound digital and break up. With that said, it works great for bedroom shredding levels though. My clean patch is based on the mesa mark series and my riff and lead are the JCM800 with a tube screamer in front. Works great!

Eric

10. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

I asked what amp model other guitarist was using, he pointed and it just said "Brit Lead", I think. That must be the JCM 800. He played the recto sim for me and it was boomy shite, if I remember correctly. Granted he's been dialing this amp infor the last 7-8 years probably. Singer always busts my balls and says my Peavey Ultra sounds thin in comparison.

11. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Yeah, I set my patches a helluva long time ago but that sounds right. And yes, the recto sim sounds awful. I only got along with the Marshall and Soldano ones for higher gain.

Eric