Thoughts on Invictus Guitars

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Haliphron, Apr 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haliphron

Haliphron SS.org Regular

Hey everyone, I recently received a quote for a custom 7 from Invictus Guitars and they seem like a legitimate company, but I am hardcore skeptic when it comes to give a company I have no experience with hundreds of dollars over the internet to another country (I'm American by the way). If anyone can put my paranoia to rest about them I would appreciate it, because they look like they make sick instruments and I want one!:hbang:

2. FrancescoFiligoi

FrancescoFiligoi Count Blastula

I've never tried one, but aesthetically they almost make me throw up. That's just me though. Maybe look into Strictly 7 since you're in the US? Siggery also has a good reputation and very fair prices. And of course there's Carvin, but it's not full custom...

3. mphsc

mphsc lover of fine woods

I got a quote too, but the numbers kept changing. They seem reputable & I like the Axis 8, but the shipping was enough to kill it for me. I'm debating a build with Jim at S7, really good guys from what I seen thur far & have a build going w/KxK... :yesway:

Someone posted in the build section on someone's else's Invictus thread & said his Invictus he received was shit. :scratch:

My advise would be to shop around first unless you're set on their body styles.

4. TheBigGroove

TheBigGroove SS.org Regular

After talking with them a bit and checking out their FB for a few weeks, in my opinion their pretty understaffed for their order volume...seems like they've gotten a pretty big following once they started posting about Vildhjarta and Born of Osiris

5. Haliphron

Haliphron SS.org Regular

Thank you guys for the feedback and I will be sure to look at Siggery and S7. They quoted me at 1750 bps which didn't seem too crazy, but kind of too good to be true as far as an international company goes.

6. 0 Xero 0

0 Xero 0 SS.org Regular

Just as some food for thought, Browne from Monuments and Leah from Aliases both like Invictus guitars. Of course, this is always subjective, but both of them have played some nice guitars and Leah regularly plays Blackmachines.

*disclaimer* I am in no way, shape, or form stating that Invictus guitars are on par with BMs. I'm just telling you that another person who plays BMs said they're similar in quality, but very different guitars.

7. abadonae

abadonae This Fury Reborn

I've heard nothing but good things about invictus guitars man, and i know your probably crapping a brick about sending large amounts of cash across the ocean but don't worry about it too much, i've done it to the US a number of times now and not had any issues with it at all.

Companies with larger followings like Invictus will undoubtedly try not fuck up your money, its a reputation they really don't want hanging over their heads ya know

8. abadonae

abadonae This Fury Reborn

I'd definitely check out Siggery as well man, i'm in the process of getting a custom built with him (like sent the cash yesterday) and he's been nothing but awesome about the whole situation, his prices are brilliant and honestly his builds look like damn good quality too, i've heard guys on here who own one talk good things about them

9. Valennic

Valennic Many Fingers Contributor

Yeah I'd be careful if I were you TS, they may produce quality guitars, but sometimes small companies get overwhelmed and take a good deal longer to pump out their guitars than they'd like.

That's not a crack, it's just me stating it happens. Look at BRJ, and the infamous Roter.

MF_Kitten likes this.
  10. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

They havent been around too long it seems, personally...I wouldnt take the risk.

Jim at Strictly 7 is a very nice guy, I nearly bought one a while ago but had more money than I anticipated and bought a Vik instead. I wouldnt hesistate to buy an S7 if that's what your price range is.

My general rule of thumb for trustability (lol) is:

- More than 5 non-endorsees you can talk to and ask about their experiences
    - More than 10 years of building
    - No horror stories, if there are, then ask the person if everything turned out OK
    - See how often what they say they are doing is actually happening, IE. Are quote times actually close to what the luthier in question is saying? Or are they like 15 months over? Obviously 99% of luthiers seem to go 1-3 month over but some end up going much much longer which is unacceptable in my opinion unless they have a valid excuse.
    - How good is their communication? Unfortunately a lot of guys end up paying in full (never do this by the way) and then suddenly they stop getting replies to their emails! The experience I've had with Vik is great, I can talk to him within a 12 hour period if needed because hes usually on Facebook. For example, one time I went to wire him a payment but nearly wired 10k instead of 1k, so I got super stressed out and emailed him, he responded within like 2 hours and everything ended up working out :)

Those are just some things to think about I guess....also Darren's article is a good thing to read through...basically:

Cheap - Well Built - Built fast

Pick TWO.

11. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

I'm planning on taking a trip to their workshop to check out their guitars and if I really like what he has to offer then I'll spec out a build.

They must make high quality instruments if they've taken on several famous players who know their guitars(lee from BOO, Aliases etc) and can easily voice their opinion.

It does really help to try before you buy.

12. Ninetyfour

Ninetyfour SS.org Regular

They're doing a clinic in Leeds next month, very excited! A very smart thing for a company of Invictus' size to do, props to Vildhjarta and Veil of Maya for attending too.

13. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

They've only really become popular because they've been giving guitars to various bands, and so by association have made a name for themselves. They haven't built a population purely on quality like other respected luthiers. Not saying this means their guitars are shit, I'd just rather wait until more people who aren't endorsers have tried the instruments so you can get a better opinion on them. Obviously endorsers are probably going to give a little more positive opinion than might actually be the case.

That said, their guitars looks cool enough and I'm sure they play awesomely, just after hearing so many stories of people getting fucked over even by reputable builders, I'm very sceptical of a lot of builders nowadays.

14. Danukenator

Danukenator Kane's Bane

With Siggery,I have to say. People are getting massive wait times (compared to what they were quoted). I've been waiting about three months, no end in sight for a six week build. So if you go Siggery, just know there will be a wait.

EDIT: I corrected my self, I said a two week build time, I meant six.

15. jjcor

jjcor SS.org Regular

Ive also been curious about invictus. Great advice so far. Recently I had to cancel a custom order as it turns out I couldnt afford 2 at the same time. Got a little too excited. But anyways I emailed them to get my deposit back because they havent started on it yet and they told me they didnt have the money. They are going to have to pay me back in payments that are going to span over 90 days. So in other words they spent my deposit on other peoples guitars. Is this the way custom builders normally work? If so thats kinda shitty. Or maybe someone here can clear up why they work this way? Not trying to hijack the thread. Maybe this will clear some things up about ordering a custom in general.

16. Prydogga

Prydogga Giddyup.

I've been seeing everyone jump ship to them recently, and of course I can only judge from how they look, but some of the progress pictures make me really question the quality, and I worry for those who have put money down for orders.

(I know that 'progress' implies there will be a more polished look in the finished product.)

17. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

You were quoted 2 weeks? :scratch:

18. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

A deposit is paid to guarantee your build, it also usually covers the cost of materials in your build. They probably spent the money to buy whichever woods or what not you asked for. You should be happy your getting a deposit back at all.

19. jjcor

jjcor SS.org Regular

I understand that completely but they DIDN'T buy the wood for my build yet or any of the other parts. He clearly stated that he's got my money tied up in OTHERS builds and will have to wait to finish getting paid on those to get my money back.

20. kruneh

kruneh SS.org Regular

Running a business works that way.
    You spend the money you have on what you need at the moment.
    It´s not like they put your money in an envelope and saves them for the parts for your guitar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.