Those "metalhead moments"

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by groph, Jul 14, 2010.

1. groph

groph SS.org Regular

You know, when you're walking down the street wearing your super-gory Cannibal Corpse shirt and some dude from across the road yells at you and throws up the horns?

I was at work the other day, minding the gift shop as I work at a museum. I saw a guy walk by and I swore that he was wearing a Neuraxis shirt. Now, I'm wearing a red shirt with a nametag, and black pants. I also don't look particularly "metal". Eventually this guy comes into the shop, and I help him look for something. I had, at this point, confirmed that he was indeed wearing a Neuraxis shirt, so I say "sweet shirt by the way"

He looks down at his shirt, then up at me, smiles like crazy and pumps his fist. I told him that Neuraxis came to Halifax a while ago but I didn't go and feel like shooting myself for not going (I wasn't into them at the time). When he was on his way out of the shop he shook my hand.

Then, at my previous job pushing carts for the local grocery store (don't ever do this), I was working the closing shift. I'm on my way out of the store, heading into the lot to take a load (I took many loads a night when I worked there, one after the other until my face was soaked) when I saw a couple of guys standing there, one was wearing a Behemoth shirt. I said to him "that band fucking rules!" and he looks at me, all shocked, and then I open up my work shirt to reveal my Suffocation shirt underneath. We proceeded to have a little conversation, and we ran into each other on the bus a few times. Metal people are always the nicest.

I'm sure some of you guys had "moments" like these. It's just awesome when someone recognizes your shirt, or they overhear your headphones and can actually relate, especially when it's totally out of the blue IE: not at a show.

2. Voodoo Turkey

Voodoo Turkey SS.org Regular

I had a guy hug me in the street cos I was wearing my Symphony X shirt about a year ago! It was really strange to be honest cos I'm not used to random people hugging me, especially other guys!! Still, we got talking about Divine Wings of Tragedy and V and he was a pretty cool guy actually! :lol:

3. Empryrean

Empryrean Undecided forever

I was walkin around one night passed some liquor store, and a guy walked out with a 24 case and pointed at my shirt then proceeded to growl "Breaking the barricade of infinite cognizance" and gave me a high five :cool:

4. BrainArt

BrainArt Deftones Guru.

I was at the store with my mom and I was wearing my Dream Theater beanie, and a guy off to the side of the line noticed it, so we started talking about DT, Satriani and Vai.

5. s_k_mullins

s_k_mullins !@#$?!

I don't wear band t-shirts often, but I've had people comment on my Alice in Chains, Metallica, Lamb of God, and Killswitch Engage, and Deftones tees with "Awesome shirt!" or "I love that band!"

Also, I have Metallica, Alice in Chains, and Slipknot decals on the back window of my truck and I've had people honk the horn and give me the horns out their window. :lol:

6. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

One time I was stopped at a light in the center of my town blasting metal of some sort (can't remember what it was), and a school bus driver with kids in the bus opened up the doors got my attention, ( the music was really loud) and flashed me the horns and started headbanging.

7. Arterial

Arterial Dreamer

At a party I was wearing a BTBAM shirt, and a girl asked me if I was an emo...
    :(

8. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

Oh yeah, definitely had that happen.

Happened a couple weeks ago with my Periphery shirt when I was in Old St Augustine.

Happens with my Sevendust shirts any time I go out. Which i consider one of those moments cause I never meet any fans lol.

Happened with my Whitechapel shirt before they were really known.

9. JoeMalov

JoeMalov SS.org Regular

Well this wasn't really a work situation, but I was at Warped Tour in Cleveland a few days ago and I had just gotten done watching Dillinger Escape Plan (phenomenal by the way). I was really starting to get pissed at all the scene kids, when I saw one kid walking towards me wearing a Daath shirt. We proceeded to have a 20 minute conversation about how awesome Daath is :hbang:

10. cypher858

cypher858 SS.org Regular

ive gotten compliments on my veil of maya shirts all over the place :)

11. Riffer

Riffer PRS SE Inspector

I was at a show one time and I had an Immortal shirt on and one long haired like 16 year old kid just hopped out of nowhere and did the black meat pose with his hair in front of his face and his hands in claw form and just went "IMMORTAL! AAARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!" And then walked away. :metal:

12. Nights_Blood

Nights_Blood Fire and Brimstone

I couldn't stop stop laughing when I read that. :lol:

Aside from all the "fuck yeah, Maiden"'s whenever I wear a Maiden shirt, there was a guy working at a Starbucks who noticed my Scar Symmetry shirt. It's awesome whenever I meet another SS fan, but it's even more awesome when they give you a delicious beverage as you talk about Holographic Universe.

13. Sofos

Sofos СофоƆ Contributor

i went to a YOB and Acrassicauda concert, and knowing the guys in Acrassicauda, they took me back stage. I was wearing a Willow Wisp shirt, a underground, little known Black/Death/Experimental band from LA. The vocalist for YOB came up to me and was like "Willow Wisp? LA right? Damn good band!" I was like :O HIGH FIVE!!! haha. A bunch of really nice guys.

14. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

I was at a house party, in the kitchen with a good view of the front door. Sixteen year old kid comes in wearing an Acid Bath shirt, so I stop and proclaim "WHEN THE KITE STRING POPS!"

15. matty2fatty

matty2fatty SS.org Regular

I was walking down the street with a Goatwhore shirt on. It's my favorite shirt because it says 'WHO NEEDS A GOD WHEN YOU'VE GOT SATAN?' in huge letters across the back. I had a guy yell out 'I have the same fuckin shirt! GOATWHORE RULES!!!!!!!!!!'

Oh, and to the OP, I just found out yesterday that High on Fire is playing the Halifax Pop Explosion in October, you need to get on that

EDIT: And, Fuck the Facts is playing the Paragon on Friday the 30th. They're a pretty killer grind band from Ottawa with a hot blond lead singer!

groph likes this.
  16. The Beard

The Beard Suttbex

The other day me and one of my bandmates went to Subway after practice and there was this big dude in front of me in line. He kinda turned around to see who was behind him, then he noticed my Lamb Of God shirt and then proceeded to tell me how he saw John Mayer and Keith Urban (i think) on the country channel playing a song together and that the dude playing the drums for the song was wearing the same shirt that I was :lol:
    The guy was like "something tells me that guy was in the gig for the money" haha

There was another time where the same bandmate and I were at a Guitar Center trying out cabs for my triple recto. I was wearing a Periphery shirt and Veil of Maya shorts and one of the employees walked up and said "Those are both AMAZING bands" and my bandmate and I had like, an hour-long conversation about everything from Sumerian bands to acoustic guitars to Hatebreed :lol:
    It's funny what wearing your favorite band's shirt can start! haha

17. techcoreriffman

techcoreriffman : roll :

Whenever I wear my Veil of Maya hoodie I get honked at all the time.

One time I was working a concession stand with a The Faceless shirt on, and some 20 something year old with hair down to his ass came up, pointed at my chest, said "You are a fucking badass kid" and walked off, throwing the horns. I thought that was kinda cool.

18. Blackhearted

Blackhearted SS.org Regular

This happened just yesterday. Two of my friends and I were in DC, at the National Gallery of Art, doing our summer project for AP Art History. I was wearing the Hellhounds Children of Bodom shirt, and we're in the room with the enormous oil painting of Daniel & the Lions. This guy, who looks like an everyday Washington staffer (male Caucasian, white dress shirt, badge/keychain, glasses, close-cropped hair) walks up, takes a look at my shirt, and says "Children of Bodom, eh? Nice." I'm pretty sure my jaw dropped, but I said thanks as he moved on.

19. CrownofWorms

CrownofWorms SS.org Regular

a few months ago my history teacher noticed me wearing my children of bodom shirt. we started talking about bands like iced earth, cannibal corpse, megadeth, metallica and everybody and class were either sighing or confused

a few weeks ago while getting of the train i met a guy with a Dark Throne shirt had an extremely short conversation cus of the rain. living in the south side and in a black majority area, it was nice to see a fellow metalhead rather than a poser who wears dark side of the moon shirts and doesnt know shit about the band or genre.

20. TheAceOfSpades1

TheAceOfSpades1 SS.org Regular

The last time I had one of these moments was just the two days ago when I was at Valley Fair wearing my white Tool shirt with the Lateralus artwork on the back and I saw a guy getting off the Renegade rollercoaster wearing the same exact shirt that I was and I waited for him to exit and ran up to him exclaiming "Dude, Tool!" and pointed at the front of his shirt and excitedly he said "Dude!" and I pointed at the front of my shirt and then pointed at the back of his shirt and I pointed at the back of my shirt and we laughed. I'd never seen anyone else with that specific Tool shirt before so it was exciting haha.