#ThisIsACauseNow Why Is Everyone a Special Snowflake?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Konfyouzd, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Church2224

Church2224 Guitar Whore

This is why I left the corporate world and went out and started my own company when I was 21 and now I am making a good living at 24 with plenty of room for growth. I saw this happening in high school when every damn parent, teacher, and politician said everyone has to go to college. (I am a hypocrite since I currently am in college :lol:)

You got to find a way to outsmart or go around the system sometimes. There are still plenty of ways to be successful. I think the problem is that our generation was told to do x, y and z to be successful, however we were not taught to think outside the box and follow our own path.

If people want to be successful in this modern day and age, they need to clear their own path, as the old ones are too worn down to work anymore.

If it were up to my parents I would be working for the federal government in some boring and stressful job like they did for the rest of my life. Pay and benefits were good but god to they and their employees/ coworkers hate it. Now I own a landscape and lawn care company that provides me with a good living that I also look forward to work at every day. Plus I have fun toys to play with every day and meet good people.

Point of my ramblings- we can still be successful, we just need to find our new ways of doing so.

2. metaljohn

metaljohn SS's Only Dick Butt

I'd definitely complain about Sofia Vergara not being my girl. Maybe if I complained loud and long enough, she'd marry me.

3. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

This, dude...

So many people our age think. "I has piece of paper... I can has job now?"

Here's the problem with a lot of them:

1. They got a degree in something they were passionate about--which is great--but it's often something that isn't in high demand. Do you know how many poli sci majors I watched STRUGGLE to find jobs, but they LOVE politics so spending $100k+ to not make half that when you get out is worth it, right?

2. A lot of them didn't retain HALF the knowledge provided to them. I see that in the workplace all the time. The simplest of things just fly right over their heads and I think, "Did you not do this in school? I did in HIGH SCHOOL."

That piece of paper guarantees you nothing if you don't actually understand anything. Anyone can memorize answers long enough to jot them down on a test and that seems to be what a large portion of people do. I saw this tutoring people in subjects like math and programming...

4. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Even if you do pay attention a bachelors rarely delves deep enough that you don't have to learn even more outside the classroom for what you learned in the classroom to be useful in a job setting (if you're actually working in your field that is). At my school they only touched the surface on most programming languages (mostly beginner level and some intermediate) and when you need to program for an actual job you really need more advanced knowledge than that. A lot of schools are simply behind on the curriculum in general IMO.

The situation as a whole is something that has been developing probably since the 70's. We've slowly became a credit based society so things got more expensive because companies knew that we'll just charge it and pay it off later. Same thing is happening with the cost of education, not including all the political BS that has stifled it as well. Curriculum's are old, classrooms are too big, teachers are underpaid, and we've become such a society run by debt that nothing is affordable anymore. The same thing happened with healthcare once insurance became pretty much necessary (not with 'Obamacare', but like 30 or so years ago). As soon as it became the norm doctors visits without insurance doubled in price practically.

Back on to the subject of education, loans becoming the norm has led to everyone paying for college on a credit card making it a viable option for everyone in the short term. This had the trickle effect of making it a minimum requirement for most jobs, even if it makes no sense, which has created a system of too many diplomas, not enough jobs that pay to cover the debt (or make it worth it in the first place in some cases), a general culture of debt, and ultimately leading to schools being overcapacity which leads to people paying more for an overall worse education.

5. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19 Playing life by ear

This whole thread is starting to confirm a feeling I've developed over the past 6 years raising my daughters.

That feeling is that I want to teach them "Pursue what you love and fvck what anyone else says."

Being in the Air Force- which has a huge emphasis on getting education/degrees while you're in, I see too many people getting degrees to "check the box" for promotion consideration.

For instance, I'm currently working on a degree in IT Management. If I were to be honest I'm not overly interested in that degree- but to get a degree in what I would want (music, literature, or some other art) would be met with inquisitive looks because it wouldn't be synergistic with my AF job.

I don't want to pass that on to my daughters- this sense that they have to feel pressured to check certain boxes off for anything other than what they genuinely want to do.

6. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

As a programmer you should be expected to continue learning. They only touched on things with programming languages in my school as well. But they also taught us to use our imagination as far as how any technology with which we're presented can be applied. At the same time I'm lucky enough to live in an area where they're hiring developers/software engineers left and right. Perhaps I should "check my privilege". :lol:

At any rate, here's how I've done it... I interview. And I often bomb a lot of them. BUT... I already have a job, so eff it... So when I interview I just find out what other jobs want and what they're willing to pay for certain skills. I learn and subsequently learn to apply ANYTHING they asked me about that I bombed on that interview on my own applications at my current job site. Next time I interview I'm ready for that ass...

Eventually it gets to a point that I've talked to so many different companies that use so many different technologies and strategies and I've at least tried them all. Suddenly I'm looking mighty sexy on the job market.

Ask me how many times they've even asked me what level degree I have. Bachelors, Masters, whatever... They don't care as much as people seem to think. I make more money than the man who put me through school and I've been in the job market for less than 10 years. It's about who you know and how hard you're willing to work to learn what you have to learn.

Degree be damned once you pass undergrad (depending on your field).

7. Church2224

Church2224 Guitar Whore

Funny you mentioned debt, it is the reason why many things are increasing in pricing lately.

We use equipment made by Exmark in our business. When we first got into the business, prices were fair and respectable. In some cases pretty good. Now, in some areas, they are outrageous (our distributors give us great deals so we still use them, plus the damn machines never die and Exmark gives us fleet discounts). In some cases it is over $14,000.00 for a lawn mower. Nothing has really changed, but the prices keep increasing year after year. I finally asked what the deal is to a product rep. Apparently so many people keep buying the machines on credit and financing them, but a good portion of them cannot pay it off. The credit companies like Sheffield Financial and Syncrony try to get what they lost from Exmark and as a result Exmark needs to make that up some how so the responsible consumers pay for it. This is not just Exmark but other companies in our business such as Scag, Toro, Hustler...

People buy stuff on credit, cannot pay it off, and the responsible consumers pay the price.

Yay debt...... not. I know this is on lawn mowers, but still applies to a lot of things.

8. Church2224

Church2224 Guitar Whore

That's how I have been living for the past two years. I am a much happier man because of that :yesway:

9. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

It applies to nearly everything and every field nowadays. Credit disrupts supply and demand artificially increasing demand causing price hikes; and like you said as well, someone has to pay the credit companies.

10. Church2224

Church2224 Guitar Whore

This is why I only buy houses, property and vehicles on credit these days...

Ok I am a hypocrite again because I financed the lawnmower for my house, but the payments were low enough and I needed a better credit rating :lol:

11. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

That's the other half of it as well, you're expected to use credit despite how it negatively affects the economy. :lol:

12. Church2224

Church2224 Guitar Whore

If managed it can be alright. Obviously in this day and age no one wants to drop $200k on a house or 20-40k on a car in one sitting, nor is that really practical. We also have been thinking about getting a line of credit for my business so it can help expand, and that is how many businesses operate if they know their numbers well. However some people think that credit is infinite and they can put off paying things off, and that is when people's stupidity takes over and screws it all up.

Any way back to people complaining about whatever.... What were we talkin about again?

13. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

No they don't. There are some truly evil people out there that definitely need to be shot. There's no way you can tell me that someone like a terrorist or a child rapists' life really matters?

14. Church2224

Church2224 Guitar Whore

... I think that is kind of implied because it is a fairly general statement and is more directed as equality among races and not bec use of some one's horrible actions....

Not a Colonel Statement of course...

15. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

The one thing I agree with, while simultaneously disagreeing, is that while teachers have maybe given up, our education system early on in our primary education is setup with literally no bell curve whatsoever. If you made an A you got the correct grade, if you got a B you did okay, if you got a C you did poorly and if you failed you didn't try at all. That's not how a grading curve is supposed to work. An A is supposed to be exceptional, and B and C are supposed to be considered average, but the system is setup that even schools expect all students to go to university which means everyone needs to be able to qualify, rather than sending some people to vocational school. Which leads into the things I mentioned earlier about credit/loans and about employers expecting a degree for jobs that don't require you to have a degree to do the job and so forth. This issue is complex because it's got little fingers that spread through so many parts of our society it is near impossible to fix or pinpoint the lynch pin to the problem. Each step of the process is so heavily influenced by the step before it that either they all need to change simultaneously or there's going to be some serious growing pains in the system before everything settles.

My point in saying this, and where I disagree with the author, is this isn't solely the student or teachers fault or necessarily even doing. They are but a single puzzle piece in a larger system that contribute to the larger problem.

16. Bekanor

Bekanor Renegade Folk Hero

Too many people needs helmets for everything these days. People need to deal with being offended, not insulate themselves from all possible sources.

As for baby boomers calling Gen Y entitled. You can't own 6 investment properties and write off Gen Y's complaints that it's too hard to get into the housing market as "laziness" and "entitlement". You artificially inflated that market by buying 6 ....ing houses and renting them out to Gen Y at a ridiculous price. "Back in my day I worked hard and bought my first house for $20,000". In my day I make just "ok" money working my ass off for a tech company, getting into the housing market is a minimum $450,000 investment for me, and that buys me an ok 2 bedroom house in the middle of East Stabton. My day is what your generation made it, you myopic old .....

Similarly, you can't bandy about terms like "entitled" when you sit at the top of the corporate ladder and stick a "minimum 5 years industry experience" on a graduate position. It's a self fulfilling prophecy of rich old assholedom. Please die and free up resources.

Just so we're clear, "you" is a reference to a straw-man I made up to represent baby boomers who bitch about Gen Y, not a personal shot at OP.

17. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

Baby boomers caused a lot of the issues around these days and not to mention... They're also often the parents to many millennials they so love to complain about. It's their fault, damnit! :lol:

18. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

This current generation is turning into a bunch of cry babies. Everyone is offended by everything it's gotten so ridiculous. It also seems to be heavily driven by the media. it's like the media has an agenda to make everything no one has even paid attention to out to be a big problem and tell everyone how wrong a persons actions or comments were. I liked the recent episode of South Park where PC Principle tries to tell Jimmy he can't use the word "retarded" in the school newspaper, it's a good example of how far we're taking this.

As for special little snowflake... I'll tell you what bugs me. I'm a tremendous animal lover, and I've donated to no-kill shelters and such and rescued animals that need serious medical treatment for the injuries suffered in their abuse. What bugs me is every single person that adopts an animal is now using the term "rescue". I see it on Facebook constantly every day. "I rescued little Chloe here". Uhh no.... you adopted little Chloe. You didn't save her from her abusers, or lower down from a helicopter to pull her out of the East River (something my step-father actually did when he worked for the ASPCA). People do this to feel better about themselves, but why aren't people that adopt a child now saying they "rescued" the child? Soon enough it will happen I suppose.

Rev.

19. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Whelp, if you prevent that child from sleeping in a cage, stacked on other cages with other children in them, where they stay for a majority of the day with very little joy or companionship...then I'm going to allow it :lol:

20. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Not all shelters operate that way. There are many modern, more progressive and caring, shelters these days have day play rooms for the dogs and only lock them up at night. Some even have outdoor areas for the animals.

But sure, call it as you want. But let me ask... if you BUY a puppy from a store do you still call it a rescue? I mean, they are in cages all day.

Rev.