#ThisIsACauseNow Why Is Everyone a Special Snowflake?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Konfyouzd, Dec 4, 2015.

1. JeffFromMtl

JeffFromMtl Уродливый, но честны

Yeah, it really is the extreme, attention-hungry ones who ruin a good thing, give it a bad image and leave a really ....ty taste in people's mouths about it. I'm 100% in agreement with that.

And even if what I've posted on here has given anyone the impression that I'm one of those angry libertarians, I'm just trying to look at the subject at hand from an objective standpoint and analyze it. The underdog will, in just about any situation or condition, have my support. I hate having to clarify this and I'm sure a number of people who have been around here and who know me can attest to it, but it's also a product of the nature of communicating over social media.

2. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

I think it is just silly to say stuff like, "All of this overly sensitive stuff is bull....."

Or, maybe that isn't silly but grouping things like #BlackLivesMatter into the same category as College Safe Spaces? ....ing ridiculous. There are serious issues out there that should be dealt with and exposure is an important part of that. Spreading the word, letting people who already think that way bind together, perhaps getting people who never gave it a thought something to think about, and hopefully creating a shift in society that eventually (I would prefer sooner rather than later...but that seems unlikely) leads to an improved quality of life for all. Social media is a wonderful tool for this.

Then, there are those college safe spaces bull..... The entire point of college is to expose yourself to new ideas and be challenged. If you leave thinking the same as you did going in then the college has completely and utterly failed. Likely, some of the ideas presented to you will be offensive to you. Maybe just at first, or maybe they really are horrible ideas and the whole point was to get you to logically think through the idea and be able to explain why it is a horrible idea, instead of just knee jerk reactions.

I do think that trigger warnings are absolutely bull.... for the overwhelming majority of people.

3. Eliguy666

Eliguy666 V's are Just Better

I don't know if I'd say an overwhelming majority, given that PTSD is so dang common (and all other manners of trauma struggles), but definitely a majority.

4. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

This is the point I was trying make with that comments. In some cases, I'd say more than mine.

Konfyouzd- I don't think all lives matter means were missing the point. Even as a white male, it indeed me upsets me greatly that .... like this happens still. It shouldn't, its not right, it's not fair. Growing up in southern Georgia, I did see a lot of what you mentioned happen to friends I knew, and they were stand up people. I felt horrible for them too.

I respect your post though man, I really do.

5. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

I think to say it simply in response to another similar movement IS missing the point, but we can just agree to disagree there. The fact that someone actually feels that needs to be said IS missing the point. It seems petty to just throw it out there when the original meaning had nothing to do with supremacy. Again, at what point did anyone ever say that other lives do NOT matter? It's been explained more than 3 times in this very thread already.

6. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

That wasn't my intent, if that's what you think I mean. In fact, its the exact opposite.

I honestly wish there were no racial divides in this country or world for that matter.....that's why that bothers me. You'd figure we'd over this by now. What has happened lately is disgusting in every way shape and form.

not looking to piss any one off here, just how I feel.

7. lelandbowman3

lelandbowman3 SS.org Regular

Watch The Green Inferno. It brings modern activism in a seriously needed critical light.
    In all of its Eli Roth horrificness, it's pretty good in what it's actually about.

8. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

9. ghostred7

ghostred7 Banned

Personally, I think it's perfectly OK for someone that has actually experienced something complain/protest/whatever.... it's all the bandwagon people that chap my ass.

20 year-old African Americans screaming for reparations for ancestors they've never had and certainly wasn't alive for themselves (no lineage to slaves), Christians crying about a "war on Christmas" that doesn't exist...especially ones that have never researched most of their used Christmas traditions origins, etc. This is the type of crap that irritates me. The people that kick & scream for no damn reason.

As for BLM they're starting to seem no different than the KKK in their actions and both groups should be officially labeled as domestic terror organizations.

10. Church2224

Church2224 Guitar Whore

A man could be given a brand new Ferrari, infinite wealth, free guitars from Schecter for life, and Sophia Vergara as his girl forever and he would still find a way to complain about how is not emperor of mankind and find a way to blame it on the Eskimo people for oppressing him.

People just want to find stuff to complain about.

11. canuck brian

canuck brian Bowes Guitars Contributor

Maybe it's got something to do with the internet having given everyone a very loud and possibly equal voice to the point where some people need to feel like they deserve special treatment - special snowflakes - to stand out? Playing the victim, no matter how ridiculous it is, will eventually get the attention and possible sympathy from some people. (Just hypothesizing)

[​IMG]

12. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Just wanted to say that in most children's sports it isn't hard-work-leads-to-success... at least to my memory... there was the team that has one kid that's naturally more athletic than any of the other kids on the field and if you have that kid on your team then you win every time.

13. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

Or there's a coach that manages to get a stacked team every time... But everyone still gets a damn trophy. I remember sometimes trying to throw mine away because I saw it as a reminder of not being good enough to win. My mom used to be upset with me for that. In retrospect I don't think it was because she thought I should still be proud of myself, but because she effectively paid for that cheap little piece of sh!t... Childrens' sports leagues can be expensive. :lol:

14. ncfiala

ncfiala Silence you bastard

I'm 42 and I have no idea what a millennial is (nor do I care), but what I do know is that people, particularly young people, are way too sensitive and way too entitled these days. I have no idea how some of them will even function in life. Life can be a real bitch and you have to deal with it.

I cope with how ....ty the world can be with humor. I will make jokes about anything. Nothing is off-limits. If people don't like it then they can .... off.

15. canuck brian

canuck brian Bowes Guitars Contributor

16. scottro202

scottro202 I'm walkin' here!!!

Nail. Head. Boom.

As someone who grew up with "participation" trophies with sports as a kid, I never actually saw them as trophies per se, because everybody got them :lol: I did display them in my bedroom as a kid and all that, but more as a memento of the season or whatever. Which, if childrens sports leagues will insist on giving out trophies to everyone, is probably the healthy attitude to have.

PLUS, if you actually won that year.... TWO TROPHIES!!! :scream: :scream: :scream:

17. Mike

Mike The Traveler Contributor

I don't really have much to add that hasn't already been touched on, but I like this illustration so I thought I'd share it.

[​IMG]

18. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

Millennials are the young people you're talking about. People born in the 80s and 90s.

I take issue with my generation being called entitled, though. We jumped through all the hoops we were told to by our parents, and y'all did such a great job parenting that it f--ked us. A Bachelor's degree is mostly useless in a lot of fields. I make more right now than I would've had I finished mine doing skilled labor. Why did y'all encourage us to do well in school and get college degrees? Competition for jobs has increased. Unpaid internships pay us in experience, although those student loans come due six months after you stop going. We take on more debt than any generation before us because tuition has increased so much. We work longer hours than the generations before us did at our age, for less pay when you figure in inflation. Basically, we're the end result of a generation of parents getting it completely right, and the system not being able to cope.

As for joking about things, I think it's fair game. I think satire and self-deprecation and really most forms of humor do more good than they do harm, although again within reason.

19. asher

asher So Did We

Growing up as a child of the nineties, I have yet to meet a single person who gave a toss about participation trophies, despite it being the go-to example for this stuff.

Kids know what's up.

20. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Frankly, it was embarrassing going up to pick up your trophy at a trophy ceremony for essentially losing (that was a mouth full). :lol:

What I did like about it as a kid is the ceremonies were always held at places like Chuck E Cheese or Gattiland or Peter Pipers Pizza, etc. where we got to eat bad food and play games. The trophy was completely secondary to why anyone wanted to be there.