This post is for major Iced Earth fans

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Regor, May 7, 2007.

1. Regor

Regor Double Edge FTW Contributor

- Home

Helmut 'Larry' Grohmann finally has his own website up. I've been scouring the internet for info about his amps forever. And low and behold, turns out he joined Huge Racks Inc. in January of this year. He's posted tons of useful information for IE fans.

Fuck the H&K, I'll be buying one of these:

DINO 939
    [​IMG]

2. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

Yeah, I remember when someone posted the pics of these on HC like a year ago. For the price you could get a car though. Hope you have like $5k to blow. :lol:

3. dpm

dpm Oni Guitars Contributor

I had an interesting conversation with Tim Mills about the Iced Earth recording sessions. Apparently they had quite a few cabs running at once all mic'd with, IIRC, Royer ribbons.

4. Martin_777

Martin_777 7 String Engineer

On the ENGL Homepage I've seen a statement by Jon Schaffer about using ENGLs in his studio.

ENGL Amplification Website

5. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

Having heard their new single:

Larry > Engl

Seriously, "Something Wicked" has one of the best recorded guitar sounds ever, but then, they cost twice as much as the Engls. :lol:

6. Martin_777

Martin_777 7 String Engineer

Correctamente! :yesway: "Dark Saga" and "Something Wiked" are my absolute favourites when it comes to rhythm guitar tones. At the moment I'm pretty happy with the rhythm tone I get from my ENGL Powerball so there is no need to buy a Larry Amp for me. So I saved another 5k. Yeehaw! :lol:

7. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

I dunno if thats an accurate relation though. something really sounds different about the technique he used to mute the stuff on the new single. like, it doesnt sound like it on the new song (still doesnt quite sound as good as it could...) But on the trilogy, it sounds like he just, well, pressed his hand into the strings when he was playing the riffs.

8. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

I've heard the new trilogy is in Bb. That might have something to do with it. :lol:

Still SWTWC and Alive in Athens sound better that 90% of th Engl recordings I've heard, and that includes Scar Symmetry and their Fireball, IMO.

And there is a Larry on the new one, just mixed with the Engls. Jon was supposedly shopping for a 2nd amp tone for a while there.

But I don't think the Larry sounds $2k+ better than the Engl. :lol: Just like I don't think the Engls sound $1k+ better than a Laney. ;)

9. Bartok

Bartok SS.org Regular

That is such a cut and paste endorsement quote:lol:

10. Regor

Regor Double Edge FTW Contributor

Actually, in the thread on HRI, there's a guy named Bernie who apparently works for ENGL or something like that, and brought this point up, and the two of them have talked about this, because there's 3 sides to every story: Yours, theirs, and the truth. So who knows.

All I know is, Dark Saga, Something Wicked, and the first Demons & Wizards albums are my 2nd favorite tone of all time (2nd only to Metallica's Black Album). So buying this amp one day will happen for me.

And I'll be sure to post clips when I do! :evil: