This is fucking stupid.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mr. Big Noodles, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Mr. Big Noodles

Mr. Big Noodles Theory God

In DC, even the Spelling Bee draws protesters - Yahoo! News

Respelling all words in the English language phonetically would destroy many root words, and either conflict with pronunciations from different dialects, or yield multiple spellings of the same word. People. :nuts:

2. Bananalyze

Bananalyze New Member

They must not be very smart.... :lol:

That would just shred up our language... there's already lots of words that have almost no meaning anymore, changing the way we spell them would take away from all the greek and latin roots and just make everything stupid...

I deem this protest false.

3. Murmel

Murmel Fapping to J-rock

Only in America :lol:

Jokes aside, I don't think it would be possible to change the spelling of so many words because everyone would have to learn the new ways of spelling them.. And you have like what, 350 million people?

4. Aurochs34

Aurochs34 SDMF, mofos

wut te fuk gys i c no issu wif dis. i cud sy owsum stf lyk "i hav sumtin stuk on te retna of my i. en we cud ad mor homuhnims 2 hur alredi masiv fukin langooaj tuh mayk it aktuly hardr tuh lern...lyk "der bags r in te bak o dat car oer der, dat der goin te dryv in 2 te sitee tuhdai.

"Get it kids, you dumb fucks? We are no longer a Latin based language! I bet this sure is easier for you though!"

:lol:

God help us if this were ever to actually happen...

Mr. Big Noodles likes this.
  5. ddtonfire

ddtonfire SS.org Regular

Lol. Everything needs to be toned down - while the population is increasing, intelligence remains a constant.

6. Murmel

Murmel Fapping to J-rock

Yeah that's my biggest fear, that the language would actually become like the language of the retarded kids on teh internetz :lol:

7. BrainArt

BrainArt Deftones Guru.

How much did it hurt you to type that sentence out? It hurt me a lot to read it, and I had to dumb my brain down a bit. :lol:

I have doubts that they would actually be able to make any headway with this. If they somehow are able to go through with this, I'm sticking with the way I learned how to spell. Properly, and not like a retarded ape..... Wait, no; that's an insult to retarded apes everywhere. :lol: You get my point.

8. Mr. Big Noodles

:rofl:

Dude, I just had two really big Jack and cokes, and this is the funniest thing. Rep.

9. Thrashmanzac

Thrashmanzac plays in 69/42

thats just retarded.

10. Wookieslayer

Wookieslayer OOOAAARWWWRR

11. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Another Douglas Adams fan perhaps? ;)

12. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

There have been arguments in different countries about simplifying their language, since the amount of information required to be assimilated by the average student is a lot more than it used to be. That and the fact that the amount of dyslectic kids appearing in schools is increasing. Even in Greek language there are a lot of scholars that would be in favor of simplifying the spelling of some words since the old spelling has to do with the Ancient Greek language and it's phonetics which doesn't apply anymore in Modern Greek.

But my personal opinion is that you need a quite good knowledge of your language to understand all the other subjects in school. I had students that could not understand the definitions in Math and Physics because they couldn't understand the condensed four sentences of difficult language and were bored of reading the one page explanation in easier language. And of course the complexity of a language excersices the brain increases intelligence and is a sign of civilisation.

13. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

stupid. just stupid. basically shitting all over the whole idea of the language to begin with.

the words come from other places, that's kinda the idea. latin, spanish, german, french, even norwegian words, and more.

the idea that someone wants "american" to be it's own language scares me. like, how cut-off and isolated does america have to be from the rest of the world before people will be happy? there's this whole sense of xenophobia towards everything not america that keeps showing up here and there, though mostly from the conservatives. you know, the "DERKA JERBS!" people. the ones who protested with signs like "lern english, stuped!", ya know?

14. liamh

liamh Geek-chic

Wow, what a bunch of lazy inbreds.
    If they even think that they stand the most miniscule shred of a chance, they're retarded.

15. Mr. Big Noodles

Well, I think that these protestors are in the minority (after all, it's four of them, protesting in front of a spelling bee :lol:). But I would not be surprised if there was a good chunk of Americans who would back this, if they knew somebody was saying something about it. However, there are enough people here with the presence of mind to say, "No, that's just idiotic."

Or maybe I'm placing too much trust in my fellow nationals. Now that I think of it, though, there have been cultures in the past that have had separate written languages between the academic world and that of the ordinary. Vulgar Latin comes to mind, and ancient Egypt had its equivalent, Demotic script. Of course, the idea of changing the entire written language is still idiotic and does not represent the trend of educational and technological advancement that has happened over the last couple centuries, much less the recent phenomenon of globalization.

Furthermore, the intermingling of languages is a beautiful thing. I'm a student of French, and it's really awesome when I know that a word in English is spelled the exact same way in French, and may carry the same meaning. Vocabulary's social heritage is something we should embrace, if only to make our lives easier.

16. ddtonfire

ddtonfire SS.org Regular

Believe it or not, I've never read him.

17. Despised_0515

Despised_0515 Bassist of Redivider

Way to make us look even more ridiculously unintelligent, you four. :noplease:

I can just imagine their level of understanding on grammar.

18. 13point9

13point9 Now with Less Hair!

ill just retort to them with this...

[​IMG]

Aurochs34 likes this.
  19. ittoa666

ittoa666 /)'3'(\

Are those protesters on drugs?

20. auxioluck

auxioluck Metal Teddy Bear

Thanks, lolcats.